Denver Mattress Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Denver Mattress Interview Questions

Interviews at Denver Mattress

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Denver, CO) in January 2011.

Interview

It's very long, like 3 different ones, all 1.5 hour plus. The final was about 3 hours long. They want to know who you have lived with, where you lived, They did very deep, like emotionally deep. Most people end up crying speaking about an event or memory.

Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Erie, PA) in February 2012.

Interview

Lengthy. 3 steps. Assistant Manager, Store Manager, District Manager. Final audit with district manager does take roughly 2 hours to find if you are the right fit for their management program. They only promote from within so this is an in-depth interview process. Professional dress. If you want to get into a Management Training Program this is a good company to get into.

Interview Questions

• Tell me 3 positive things going on in your life right now?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Lone Tree, CO).

Interview

Was interviewed by phone, in person by an assistant manager, by a store manager, and then finally by a district manager. They went into a level of detail that I was not expecting. Once I was hired it became obvious the company is always looking for the "right" person rather than just someone who might be able to do the job. I was very impressed that they also seem to be making sure that the company had what *you* were looking for.

Interview Questions

• What was the best/worst part of working for ____?   1 Answer

Jun 26, 2017 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for the review and we look forward to your success with us.

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (San Antonio, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Very in depth. Wants to make sure they hire the correct person for the job. They ask about your family, work ethic, your hopes, etc. They don't want just another scummy sales person. They do a background check on you to assure that you aren't lying, and it is a minimum 3 step process.

Interview Questions

Denver Mattress Response

Nov 18, 2016 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for your review. We look forward to watching your career develop.

Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Mansfield, OH) in August 2013.

Interview

Initial interview was short and sweet. About 20 min. (Not including filling out the application), next interview went much longer (over an hour). The final interview was with the district manager and that lasted over 2 hours! I don't know how typical this is, but it was a different kind of interview for me personally.

Interview Questions

• Many of the questions asked were designed to find out who I was as a person, rather than what my experience was. They really wanted to make a character assessment and make sure that I was a person of integrity.   Answer Question
    • They wanted to know about my family and personal relationships. I believe this was to see what kind of support structure I had around me. It was different for me to answer these questions, but I had no problem with the content of any of the questions.   Answer Question
    • They did ask about drug use. If you have used drugs recently (including marijuana), do not apply! They are 100% drug free.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint George, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Saint George, UT).

Interview

Three total interviews. First interview of 45 minutes by the assistant manager. Second interview by the manager for about 1 hour 30 minutes. Third interview by the District Manager for nearly 4 hours. Honestly it was a lot of time committed for a subpar type of sales job.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your life, starting with your family.   Answer Question
    • Who are the three people that have had the most influence on you as a person?   Answer Question

Jun 26, 2017 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for your review, but I think your attitude of this position may have influenced our decision not to offer you a position. Believing that it is a subpar sales job is not really looking at... More

Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, OH

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Mansfield, OH) in June 2015.

Interview

It is essentially you as the interviewee describing your life story. What are tough decisions you made, How did those decisions shape you. It's a multi step interview, so you will have to come back in for anywhere from 1-3 interviews depending on the position and who your initial interview is with. It took roughly 2 weeks time to complete the whole process.

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Denver Mattress in April 2017.

Interview

I received a call to schedule an interview after applying online, this was around the 24th April. I went to the interview, smartly dressed after applying online for both the warehouse and sales position as I had work experience in both roles.

After interviewing firstly with the the store manager, in which numerous personal questions are asked to get to know you, some of which I found slightly strange to be asked at an interview for a job such as "what is your relationship like with your mother?". I politely answered all questions asked of me and the interview went on for just short of 90 minutes. It was fairly relaxed and the conversation was easy to make, all in all - it felt promising. This store manager then confirmed that he also thought it went well, and would like me to meet with the assistant manager later on in the week. Scheduled the date in my calendar and looked forward to another interview with Denver Mattress after coming to Glassdoor and seeing and overwhelming response of positive reviews from past and current employers, the opportunity seemed great! Friday came round and the same interview process that was undertook earlier in the week was again relayed with the assistant manager... Personal questions to get to know the candidate, general chat and holding conversation with one another. The assistant manager then went on to tell me "the manager must have liked you, this is why your getting the opportunity to speak with me now" - I thought well my luck is in, this is going really well! We concluded the interview with him explaining to me he was going to put me forward as soon as possible onto the regional/district manager as I was "a very strong candidate" and that "I would do really well within Denver Mattress".

At the beginning of the following week, I received a call to explain that the district manager lived out of state and they were trying there best to schedule me in to see him, as nobody gets hired without sitting down with them. During this conversation, the relevant manager told me they had stopped looking for other candidates for the same position I was applying for an i quote "Had no competition as it stands" and they where continuing to interview candidates for the warehouse position only. After a few back and forth calls, they called to inform me the district manager was available May 17th for certain in my area, but If i wanted to get the process moving a long quicker, I could drive 60 miles to meet him as he was at another branch location - which I agreed instantly as everything so far had been so positive I couldn't wait to continue the employment process.

On the day of leaving to see the district manager, I received a call to say they had to reschedule and that I would then have to wait for another date to speak with this person - to then after getting changed out of my suit etc to be called back and told "He actually will be able to see you" to which I rushed and got back ready and set off on the hour drive.

The sit down with the district manager involved filling in forms about criminal history, bankruptcy and other things along the line of drug addiction etc all to which they couldn't stress enough that the most important aspect of this paperwork was to judge how genuine the candidate was and if they would hold back anything negative from their past, all to which I answered with 100% honesty. This interview was concluded by the district manager confirming I was the strongest candidate for the roll which the previous managers had put forward and that he saw and I quote "No reason at all to make you ineligible for the position."
    From this point, I felt great - everyone along the way had been extremely positive and one manager had basically told me they weren't even looking at anyone else as they was so pleased with my responses etc.

I then had to wait for the district manager to then speak with the branch/assistant manager to confirm any decisions. I was promised calls on different dates which never happened to which I had to awkwardly call myself and try and find out if I had/hadn't got the position I was trying for. This went on for 10 days until finally I got a call from the relevant branch manager to state "we've decided to go in a different direction" and that "he thought everything went well" and sounded surprised too.
    Bear in mind this process had taken just shy of 4 weeks, in which I was advised I could look for other jobs, of course, but I would be a great member of this company. All to which ended up being a colossal waste of time and money which frankly I couldn't afford to lose (which every person who spoke to me was well aware of since then asked questions about every aspect of my life) and I was open to tell them I had recently been messed about by local companies in similar situations to which their response was "hopefully we will be able to help you out" and "they don't conduct business in that way.

Interview Questions

• To summaries, I am fully aware that no position is guaranteed off interviews, but I find it extremely unprofessional for managers to imply that the position is almost certainly mine, and then tell me they are surprised as well I didn't get a position. When asked if there was any details to which let me down or as to why everything started so strong and then suddenly got dropped out of nowhere I was informed they wasn't informed of the reason. It turns out their is no transparency whatsoever as I noticed job ads resubmitted to job websites whilst I was waiting for a response to whether I had or hadn't received a position so you must have been well aware I was unsuccessful, yet it took you 4 more days to tell me this.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Toledo, OH) in March 2007.

Interview

Interview consisted of typical personality questions. Some very personal questions were also asked about family relationship. The interview was very lengthy. It lasted 1 1/2 hours. They asked if I had experimented with drugs. A great deal of time was spent discussing my past and my relationship with friends and family.

Interview Questions

• How do you motivate someone to do something that they don't want to do?   Answer Question

Work hours are too long

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Denver, CO) in January 2009.

Interview

Three interviews. The questions were not hard to answer, probably one of the most laid-back styles of interviews, but the interviews themselves are very long (I think a couple of mine were more than 2 hours long). They really want to get to know you, and find out what you are about. They want to make sure you are honest and ethical.

Interview Questions

• If I called your previous employer, how would they describe you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation - straight commission.