Denver Mattress Sales Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Denver Mattress Sales Interview Questions

Interviews at Denver Mattress

1 Interview Review

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Denver Mattress in April 2017.

Interview

I received a call to schedule an interview after applying online, this was around the 24th April. I went to the interview, smartly dressed after applying online for both the warehouse and sales position as I had work experience in both roles.

After interviewing firstly with the the store manager, in which numerous personal questions are asked to get to know you, some of which I found slightly strange to be asked at an interview for a job such as "what is your relationship like with your mother?". I politely answered all questions asked of me and the interview went on for just short of 90 minutes. It was fairly relaxed and the conversation was easy to make, all in all - it felt promising. This store manager then confirmed that he also thought it went well, and would like me to meet with the assistant manager later on in the week. Scheduled the date in my calendar and looked forward to another interview with Denver Mattress after coming to Glassdoor and seeing and overwhelming response of positive reviews from past and current employers, the opportunity seemed great! Friday came round and the same interview process that was undertook earlier in the week was again relayed with the assistant manager... Personal questions to get to know the candidate, general chat and holding conversation with one another. The assistant manager then went on to tell me "the manager must have liked you, this is why your getting the opportunity to speak with me now" - I thought well my luck is in, this is going really well! We concluded the interview with him explaining to me he was going to put me forward as soon as possible onto the regional/district manager as I was "a very strong candidate" and that "I would do really well within Denver Mattress".

At the beginning of the following week, I received a call to explain that the district manager lived out of state and they were trying there best to schedule me in to see him, as nobody gets hired without sitting down with them. During this conversation, the relevant manager told me they had stopped looking for other candidates for the same position I was applying for an i quote "Had no competition as it stands" and they where continuing to interview candidates for the warehouse position only. After a few back and forth calls, they called to inform me the district manager was available May 17th for certain in my area, but If i wanted to get the process moving a long quicker, I could drive 60 miles to meet him as he was at another branch location - which I agreed instantly as everything so far had been so positive I couldn't wait to continue the employment process.

On the day of leaving to see the district manager, I received a call to say they had to reschedule and that I would then have to wait for another date to speak with this person - to then after getting changed out of my suit etc to be called back and told "He actually will be able to see you" to which I rushed and got back ready and set off on the hour drive.

The sit down with the district manager involved filling in forms about criminal history, bankruptcy and other things along the line of drug addiction etc all to which they couldn't stress enough that the most important aspect of this paperwork was to judge how genuine the candidate was and if they would hold back anything negative from their past, all to which I answered with 100% honesty. This interview was concluded by the district manager confirming I was the strongest candidate for the roll which the previous managers had put forward and that he saw and I quote "No reason at all to make you ineligible for the position."
From this point, I felt great - everyone along the way had been extremely positive and one manager had basically told me they weren't even looking at anyone else as they was so pleased with my responses etc.

I then had to wait for the district manager to then speak with the branch/assistant manager to confirm any decisions. I was promised calls on different dates which never happened to which I had to awkwardly call myself and try and find out if I had/hadn't got the position I was trying for. This went on for 10 days until finally I got a call from the relevant branch manager to state "we've decided to go in a different direction" and that "he thought everything went well" and sounded surprised too.
Bear in mind this process had taken just shy of 4 weeks, in which I was advised I could look for other jobs, of course, but I would be a great member of this company. All to which ended up being a colossal waste of time and money which frankly I couldn't afford to lose (which every person who spoke to me was well aware of since then asked questions about every aspect of my life) and I was open to tell them I had recently been messed about by local companies in similar situations to which their response was "hopefully we will be able to help you out" and "they don't conduct business in that way.

Interview Questions

• To summaries, I am fully aware that no position is guaranteed off interviews, but I find it extremely unprofessional for managers to imply that the position is almost certainly mine, and then tell me they are surprised as well I didn't get a position. When asked if there was any details to which let me down or as to why everything started so strong and then suddenly got dropped out of nowhere I was informed they wasn't informed of the reason. It turns out their is no transparency whatsoever as I noticed job ads resubmitted to job websites whilst I was waiting for a response to whether I had or hadn't received a position so you must have been well aware I was unsuccessful, yet it took you 4 more days to tell me this.   Answer Question