Denver Mattress Sales Manager Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Denver Mattress Sales Manager Trainee Interview Questions

Interviews at Denver Mattress

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Boise, ID) in July 2008.

Interview

I worked for Denver Mattress for 2 years. From the interviews that I conducted (which are in the 50's), I found that there are a few common factors of persons that I would try to hire. Please, keep in mind, as a manager, you are expected to weed out most candidates. Here are the requirements: Willing to move, willing to work long hours (50+), work every weekend, work every holiday (or at least, the days leading up to, and the day after), learn a script (that you will be held accountable for, no "ifs, ands, or buts").

Honestly, be as honest as you can. You will either fit the team/situation, or you won't. Do not take it personally either way. Denver Mattress is concerned with their profits and status in the 'Mattress' community first. So, if you don't fit, well then maybe its not for you.

Dress sharp, look them in the eye (not in a creepy way), hold your chin up, do not try to hide anything, introduce yourself with your hand open for a handshake, be proud of your accomplishments/challenges, Walk tall, and MAKE THEM LAUGH.

If hired, lay on every bed for at least 20 minutes. I'd probably give it a month before you do this, but it will help you. Everyone has a different kind of spine.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS!!!

Interview Questions

• What has been your greatest challenge, and what have you done?   1 Answer
  • What are you most proud of?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Don't even try this one, it will shut you down. I didn't get unemployment after being fired for going to my 21 y/o brother's funeral. Not kidding.

Other Interview Reviews for Denver Mattress

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Dallas, TX).

Interview

This was easily the most unusual interview process I had ever experienced but it was wonderful. There are three interviews. The first is with an assistant manager. It is primarily a "get to know you" session. There is very little concern with your work history because they know they can train anybody. They mostly want to make sure you are a good person with good work ethic and drive. The second interview is with a store manager and is a little more in depth and starts to dive into work history a little more. The final interview is with a district manager. It is extremely in depth and thorough. Everyone I interviewed with was happy with their jobs and were honestly happy to be talking to me as well. During the first interview I had the assistant manager had to step away for a moment to help a customer. While that was a little off putting at first I ended up liking it because it allowed me to see exactly what it is that they do.

Interview Questions

• There were lots of unusual questions but two that stuck out to me:
      When is it ok to tell a little white lie? It's a bit of a loaded question but it allows them to really see what type of integrity you have.

Also:
      Tell me about something you have FAILED at...   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation but personally didn't feel any need. Pay rates were fair and terms were everything I would expect from any employer.

Sales Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Denver Mattress.

Interview

I know that I did not have an ordinary interview process when I was going through the process for Denver Mattress. I had a phone interview, than an in-person interview with the District Manager. The longest process would be meeting with the Assist-Manager, Store Manager, then the District Manager. The interviews are usually long and pretty personal, so be aware of that. Most important, be as honest as you can be.

Interview Questions

• What is the worst thing you have ever done?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiating phase. The starting position in sales is pure commission.

Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Boise, ID) in January 2011.

Interview

I walked into Denver Mattress in Boise ID and asked if they were hiring, the assistant manager said "always" and had me fill out a paper application on the spot. After I was done he looked it over and and asked me if I could work nights and weekends; to which I said yes... he then asked if I would be willing to relocate for promotion; to which I said yes. Interview # 1 done. He then set up a time for me to speak with the manager.

I came in and spoke to the manager about 4 days later and spent a little more than an hour in this interview. This was much more in detail and the manger asked about where I grew up and all of my past relationships, including my mom and dad and wife and kids. I really felt like he wanted to get to know me as a person. He did go into work experience and a bunch of questions regarding honesty and integrity, I remember clearly two questions... When is it OK to lie and when have you not been able to keep a promise...
    after the interview was over he explained the process and said the district manager would be up in a couple weeks and I would have a "final" talk with him.

1 day later I received a call from the manger and he said plans have changed and that the district manager would be in town 2 days from now and could I come in on Tuesday at 10AM or 1PM? I said 1PM would work great and then met with the District Manager that day.

This interview was the longest and I was asked all kinds of things... starting from where I was born and growing up to jobs and criminal record and drug use. The district manger seemed at ease and just stressed honesty in the answers I gave. It was more of a therapy session than an interview as i thought of past and present relationships, my wants and needs and where I wanted to go in the future.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had handcuffs put on you?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The district manager said I could start next Monday and I smiled and said thank you!

Sales Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Denver Mattress.

Interview

You go through 3 interviews. The first two are seemingly harmless, however, the last interview if you have had a traumatic past of any kind, be warned, is brutal. They ask nothing about sales experience or your qualifications, they ask EXCESSIVELY INTRUSIVE questions about your past, parents, marriages, and more. Things really only a therapist should be asking, and boarder line Illegal.

Interview Questions

• -How long between marriages was it just you, your sibling(s), and parent
      -Was your parent mentally or physically abusive
      -How long did your parent let the abuse go on
      -How did having an abusive parent make you feel
      -Who do you go to with your problems

Their excuse for asking these questions, is because "They promote so quickly internally, and you can become responsible for a lot of assets within the company quickly." they justify it by saying that "The process has been used for over 20 years." I get it, they need to be thorough, they are a private company, they promote quickly- However it doesn't give them the right to make someone relive, in great detail, traumatic events.

The fact that they disregard the possibility that their interview process may upset someone just because "a decent amount" do not fall into a "victim" category says to me that this is a company I wouldn't want to work for or support. I decided moments after the final interview process was over that I would not work for this company so when they called a few days later to tell me they had gone with someone else I was not offended by it at all. I explained my position that I would have turned them down regardless- There was no apology, just a defensive explanation, and the guy told me to call him if i needed a pillow or mattress... Which also makes me feel that these people are emotionally stunted as well, again supporting my decision to never support this company.

Things are very different then they were 20 years ago, perhaps the interview process should be reevaluated.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Denver, CO) in January 2011.

Interview

It's very long, like 3 different ones, all 1.5 hour plus. The final was about 3 hours long. They want to know who you have lived with, where you lived, They did very deep, like emotionally deep. Most people end up crying speaking about an event or memory.

Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Erie, PA) in February 2012.

Interview

Lengthy. 3 steps. Assistant Manager, Store Manager, District Manager. Final audit with district manager does take roughly 2 hours to find if you are the right fit for their management program. They only promote from within so this is an in-depth interview process. Professional dress. If you want to get into a Management Training Program this is a good company to get into.

Interview Questions

• Tell me 3 positive things going on in your life right now?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Lone Tree, CO).

Interview

Was interviewed by phone, in person by an assistant manager, by a store manager, and then finally by a district manager. They went into a level of detail that I was not expecting. Once I was hired it became obvious the company is always looking for the "right" person rather than just someone who might be able to do the job. I was very impressed that they also seem to be making sure that the company had what *you* were looking for.

Interview Questions

• What was the best/worst part of working for ____?   1 Answer

Denver Mattress Response

Jun 26, 2017 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for the review and we look forward to your success with us.

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (San Antonio, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Very in depth. Wants to make sure they hire the correct person for the job. They ask about your family, work ethic, your hopes, etc. They don't want just another scummy sales person. They do a background check on you to assure that you aren't lying, and it is a minimum 3 step process.

Interview Questions

Denver Mattress Response

Nov 18, 2016 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for your review. We look forward to watching your career develop.

Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Mansfield, OH) in August 2013.

Interview

Initial interview was short and sweet. About 20 min. (Not including filling out the application), next interview went much longer (over an hour). The final interview was with the district manager and that lasted over 2 hours! I don't know how typical this is, but it was a different kind of interview for me personally.

Interview Questions

• They did ask about drug use. If you have used drugs recently (including marijuana), do not apply! They are 100% drug free.   Answer Question
    • They wanted to know about my family and personal relationships. I believe this was to see what kind of support structure I had around me. It was different for me to answer these questions, but I had no problem with the content of any of the questions.   Answer Question
    • Many of the questions asked were designed to find out who I was as a person, rather than what my experience was. They really wanted to make a character assessment and make sure that I was a person of integrity.   Answer Question