Denver Public Schools Interview Questions in Denver, CO | Glassdoor

2.7

33 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Paraprofessional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Denver Public Schools (Denver, CO) in August 2017.

Interview

Pretty easy to apply. You only need degree or you need to take their test. If you pass, you will have a job. Then, it took me 20 days to complete my paperwork

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Denver Public Schools (Denver, CO).

Interview

Got my PhD a while back & worked at education non-profits for a year-ish before getting my current position; thought a job doing research for DPS would be a good way to give back. Because of my skill set/statistics background, I've been phone screened & in-person interviewed for 2 different positions with roughly the same title at DPS. However, staffers made it clear that modelling & analytics experience is secondary to having held a teaching credential (which I haven't).

I have a gaggle of friends that have positions creating predictive models, employ high-level stats all the time, & are great at what they do. I've never met a one that was all that AND a formerly credentialed teacher that had worked in the classroom. Good luck to them finding someone in the Denver area who spent years in the classroom entirely immersed in pedagogy but somehow also has enough of an analytics background that they are going to outperform a PhD-level scientist at the job. Given that the other people I met also interviewing were Business Intelligence types from Sports Authority and Van Lines (both companies since closed), I think their search requirements are pretty unrealistic. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I will say that the mass 'Central Hiring Fair' format was really weird. They invite 200 people to the 14th floor of their building in downtown Denver for a 'Fair' between 4:30 and 6:15. You have to sign in with someone to talk to the person relevant to the job you applied for; if you don't find the sign-in person (they aren't at a fixed location), you'll end up toward the bottom of the list. That one person interviews each person that signed up to talk to them (could be 40 people) for about 5 to 15 minutes. Being at the bottom of the list can mean sitting around for nearly 2 hours and not talking to the person you came to see. I understand they have a lot of departments/positions to fill, but it was pretty chaotic. Based on my experiences, I probably won't apply for future listings at DPS - doesn't seem worth it.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest strength & weakness? (Seriously, they asked this question *rolls eyes*)   Answer Question
    • Why are you interested in the position?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Denver Public Schools (Denver, CO) in May 2017.

Interview

Confusing and very disorganized. No offer letter until you accept, individuals were unprofessional, not on time, seemed not to know what questions to ask, was not concern with my background or education. The location does not offer most employees parking or have a parking option for monthly passes, you are on your own. Administration building has schools in it so the environment is different than most office environments.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Denver Public Schools   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Application

Interview

I had a phone interview followed up with a two-hour in person interview - two panel interviews, a tour of the facility and one more interview with the supervisor and executive director. All were great except for one of the panel interviews - the three people did not seem to be on board with each other. Gave me a strange feeling.

Database Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Denver Public Schools (Denver, CO).

Interview

8 women all at once. Each one asking various questions. Though they gave me a skills test, only 1/8 could actually do it themselves. It was irritating to be interviewed for a job that most of them did not understand themselves. It's an old crony, buying my time to retirement, type of atmosphere.

Financial Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Denver Public Schools (Denver, CO) in November 2016.

Interview

Excel test - Phone Interview - Group Skype interview - Decision.

First, if you agree and want to move forward with the process, they'll send you an excel spreadsheet problem. After that, when you submit it, they'll see if they want to move forward to the next step (phone interview).

Phone interview is 15 minutes. They ask why you want to work there, and how does your experience fit the role.

If they like you, you'll be invited to have a Skype interview with 2 or 3 other members (besides the hiring manager) about your excel test, and then about your previous work experience and how it ties to the role you're applying to.

After a week or so, they'll make a decision and let you know.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to explain financial terms and complex situations to non-financial people?   Answer Question

Paraprofessional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Denver Public Schools (Denver, CO).

Interview

Easy. Was transferred from another school within the district, and the two principals worked out the details. Was internal and selected by my supervisor as a great fit so all went smooth through the interview.

Interview Questions

• if having children at the same school as being employed would be a problem   Answer Question

Negotiation

tried to nego higher wage, step, and get credit for experience with no avail.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Denver Public Schools (Denver, CO) in September 2016.

Interview

One very brief phone screen; one in-person with hiring manager; one follow up with hiring manager and their manager.

Overall opinion was somewhere between neutral and positive. The hiring manager was very nice, although roughly 2 months passed between interviews and I was unsure what happened. When called in for final interview things moved quickly after there. Although I wasn't selected, I did receive personal notice - a nice touch to receive that for the time I invested in their process.

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral based questions along with some technical questions - tell me about a time when you... managed a project? Implemented a change? etc   Answer Question

Substitute Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Denver Public Schools (Denver, CO) in August 2016.

Interview

The primary interview was over the phone, at a certain time and date and lasted about 15 minutes. The questions were as you'd expect for teaching. The second interview was in person, which was a huge group at the main admin building and then there'd be about 5 other interviews happening in the same room at different tables (but the interviews were still one on one), but they asked just more of the phone questions. The process took several weeks, but they are good at communicating with you clearly.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you had to deal with a student who was being difficult   Answer Question
    • Which of the 5 DPS core values do you think is most important?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if you knew you couldn't make it in that day, or were going to be late?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if you got to a school/classroom and there were no lesson plans?   1 Answer

Special Education Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Denver Public Schools (Denver, CO) in August 2016.

Interview

I sat down with two administrators at my school, and they asked me a lot of questions. It actually felt more like a conversation, as it wore on. We sat together for at least an hour, and after a 5-minute private conversation between the two admin, I was immediately offered the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you accommodate ELL students in your classroom?   1 Answer