Department for Work And Pensions Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Department for Work And Pensions Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Aug 16, 2017

3.1

65 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

DWP Ramsgate Interview

Interview

After successfully qualifying for an interview following the online tests, was feeling optimistic. The interview started with a brief introduction. Very brief really and straight into competency based questions. Quite hard to answer if you are not from the civil service world. One interview was relaxed and friendly, the other less so. If you don't give them what they are expecting they probe further, this can get a little uncomfortable when repeatedly probed and you have given them all you have for that prepared example. If you don't prepare it is very hard to wing this type of Interview.

Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Leeds, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

1) Application online
    2) SIFT test
    3) Inerview with panel

It was strange that they checked the SIFT results first, then they checked the answers to the online application. The interview itself was with a panel and they took it in turns to answer the question whilst the other wrote down notes.

You have to prepare for the 4 competency questions and have a few different answers to each competency.

Results not out yet, so I put down no offer but with over 600 applying for 20 positions Im holding out for an offer.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me an instance of when you helped a customer, and what were the results?   Answer Question

Work Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

interview was 4 competencies and why do you want to work here. The interviewers knew what they were looking for in each question.

Ladies interviewing were friendly and made you feel at ease.

lasted around 35-40 minutes

Interview Questions

• building capability for all
      making effective decisions   1 Answer

Fraud Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cannock, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Cannock, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

No small talk. Straight to the 4 competences. Do take time to research them in order to have half a chance. There were 2 interviewers but 1 definitely took the lead.

Put me at ease though. Was told I would hear in a couple of days, took 8.

Interview Questions

• Competences as outlined on here abs in description   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Clear. No surprises. Very well run.
    Interview based entirely on Competencies they list in the JD. Very pleasant and felt they were actually trying to get the best out of you. This is rare in my experience both as an interviewee and interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Completely based on the competencies they outlined. No surprises.

1 - Managing a quality service
      2 - Making effective decisions
      3 - Building capabilities (for all)
      4 - Leadership and communication

1 - Tell me a time when you went out your way for a customer?
      2 - Give an example of a time when you had to make a difficult decision, what it was and what was the outcome
      3 - Give us an example of a time you had to use technology for the benefit of yourselves and others.
      4 - Tell me a time or occasion when you had to give a group a goal to get on board with, what it was, what you did and what was the outcome.

If you prep you will nail it. They are looking for any examples where this can apply it does not have to be work. Any volunteering, hobby, experience etc where you will have done this. You will. Its just getting the pigeon hole right.   1 Answer

Workcoach Interview

Interview

Online application, test then face to face interview. Long winded and only proves you can pass an interview. For this type of role (I have worked for the DWP in the jobcentre and in welfare to work) you need to be thick skinned and be tough. You will find that this way of recruiting will get many people who can pass these interviews but a lot of people who cry under pressure.
    What is needed is an assessment that incorporates all of your skills, so they should take your experience and how confident you are at the interview into account, look at things like have you worked for them before or what you have done, NOT just 5 years work experience!
    People who get this job are going to really struggle. The DWP is not like any other job, you will get people in their who try and attack you, blame you for benefit sanctions, swear all the time, don't want to work, verbally abuse you all the time! You can be a typical bank customer service rep they will walk all over you!
    I don't know how I did, no idea so this is not biased to my outcome. I hate these type of interviews for this type of role.
    Oh and another bit of advice! Don't bother going over the framework booklet, it will only put you off! the questions they asked were only vaguely relevant to the ones in the booklet! I go in cold, I always work better that way!

I have out didnt get an offer but I have no idea if I did or not, I only did the interview friday!

Work Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Online application, providing qualification and work history. The main part was completing the competency section. This was 2 parts with a 250 word limit. Demonstrate times when made effective decision and managed a quality service.

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ramsgate, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Ramsgate, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

You have to do a strange test online and the results were completely different from what I feel i'm good at.
    What is frustrating is the job description fitted perfectly to my experience but the interview questions didn't coincide with the job that was being offered. They also say at the beginning they want to help get the best out of you but when they are asking questions that involve deadlines and looking at difficult information when they know your job experience doesn't involve any of that its pretty difficult to sound good.

Interview Questions

• When have you looked at difficult information and had to make a decision?   4 Answers

Pensions Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Online application, 1 competency example of no more than 250 words. Online scenario based judgement test. Overall not too difficult, good communication throughout the process, email received the day after the interview to say, passed the minimum standard required.

Interview Questions

• 4 questions, based on the 4 competencies listed in the job specification.   Answer Question

Work Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Online test which was situation based. Relatively easy but they do throw in some maths questions to throw you off a little so make sure you are armed with a calculator and some common sense.

Interview was fairly short, lasting about 30 minutes, and it was very scripted. 3 interviewers, so it can be a little intimidating. Keep eye contact and stay confident.

Once that was done, approximately a week later (but this depends on how many more interviews they have left to do) I ha an email congratulating me for passing the interview process. I was put on a reserve list for my chosen location though, but I was advised this is normal and they should be in touch soon with a job offer as I had passed each stage of the recruitment process. It's just a waiting game after that.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • Can you give an example of a difficult conversation you had to have with someone, how you went about it and what the outcome was.   Answer Question