Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 31, 2017

Software Quality Assurance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in January 2017.

Interview

Very simple; interviewer talked about GAC a bit. No knowledge questions, no tests. Moreso trying to sell the company than see if they like me. Felt backwards; it felt as though instead of really testing candidates to find the ones they liked the best, they we're desperately trying to sell the job, talking about the location, the lighting, etc.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada.

Interview

- One interview in person with two supervisors. Very informal, much like a conversation. No situational based questions. Interviewers were helpful to lead to you to what they wanted to hear.

Interview Questions

• Secret information. About mandate/technical to the position   1 Answer

Junior Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in February 2016.

Interview

Interviews at GAC, and indeed within the Government of Canada, are very formulaic. Your first one will not be your best, but once you figure out the system it is very easy to cross-apply answers from prior interviews and experience.

Interview Questions

• Using concrete examples, discuss your ability to handle competing, tight deadlines   Answer Question

Junior Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in August 2015.

Interview

It was an easy interview. I applied as a student through FSWEP and set up the interview through email. Then I met my supervisor for an interview inside the Global Affairs / DFATD building. She asked a couple of questions and that was it - was over in less than 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What makes you interested in this job?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada.

Interview

The hiring process was quite long - over a year from start to finish. It began with written exams, and interviews were held around 10 months later. It took a few months after that to receive the job offer then another few months to actually begin work. Questions were focussed on what you would do in a given situation, not what you have achieved. Interviewers generally have to document their decisions, so they write down a lot of what you say, though they do tell you that in advance so you're not thrown by it.

Co-Op Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in September 2014.

Interview

1 interviewer, 5 questions, 30 minutes to answer

The interviewer cannot and does not speak with you, they can only read you the questions. It is totally up to you to answer them how you want and to manage your time.

The interviewer's job is to 'score' your answers on a matrix (which you cannot see). To pass these types of interviews, you almost have to speak to someone who has been through the process before. It is very standardized and you cannot 'wing' it. To pass you, the interviewer needs to be able to mark off very specific points on the score card (ex. key words), no matter how qualified you are, or how much they like your answer, if it doesn't fit their matrix, you'll fail.

Interview Questions

• Describe your knowledge of the Department, its mandate, structure, and work.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, it is fixed for Co-op students by the Treasury Board.

Development Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)) in August 2013.

Interview

After submitting the CV, and passed written exams, I was call for a personal interview. The panel was integrated by 3 persons who asked a set of questions to evaluate my knowledge and skills for the job required. The interview lasted 1 hour.

Interview Questions

• How would you manage a project to minimize its risks and succeed.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mexico City (Mexico)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (Mexico City (Mexico)) in January 2013.

Interview

There was a Job Poster online to which I answered and then I was invited to a series of tests with other candidates. After that, they narrowed it down to three candidates and made interviews with case scenarios. Then I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Specific things about the position, exercises on accounting, administration of property, safety regulations, and external communications. Also there was a test to measure your English/French abilities   Answer Question