Interview Question

Patent Examiner Interview

-The Hague

EPO

Describe a patent, show differences between few similar patent.

Answer

Interview Answers

540 Answers

@Aline Sorry I forgot to answer your first question. I got the invitation around 2 weeks ago.

Vera on

Hi Regina, I have receive the invitation for the Skype interview last week. FYI, the status on the EPO jobs website chnaged to "Interview" a few days before. That's how you'll know you've been shortlisted. Good luck.

Michael on

What I haven't understood yet is if we are all waiting for the Hague or someone who had the final interview in Munich in October is still waiting the result. We, in The Hague, had the interview 2 weeks later but if someone in Munich is still waiting.. this is not encouraging

Anonymous on

Thank you, I did the interview at the end of October. I was wondering if they are putting everyone in the Talent Pool, because of all the changes they would like to introduce. Please, as soon as you know, share also your final decision.

Talent pool: 0 Rejection: 0 Provisional offer: 0 No results yet: 3

Anonymous on

For me it was purely generic. My German is so bad, they even offered to me to answer in English... and I was accepted at this stage.

Simon on

@Michael, I will definitely let you know. I'm in my 3rd week after I took the online tests (although I don't think I performed too well).

Regina on

@Regina I have also applied but see that I can not withdraw my application any more. If that is the case, I think I have not been successful. Furthermore, my status date is from 15th of September which makes it very unlikely that I made it through. Hope that helps (or not in the present case).

TheOG on

@Michael All in all, it confirms my feeling that I did not even make it to the Skype interview.Not a surprise as I vastly under-estimated the online tests and fail to adequately prepare. A tip for anyone reading this page and of a certain age (such as me): our brain is not as fast as it used to be and you will need to prepare these tests much like an exam. They are not that difficult but are worded in such a way that you can spend a lot of time just reading the questions and time seriously flies. The key to success in this case is to do as many as possible before you do the real thing. The practice questions on the webpage are nowhere near as difficult as the one in the real exam and can lull you into a false sense of security. I will definitely re-apply at some point in the future but will focus on adequately prepare myself. Michael, I wish you again the best for the rest of the interview process and, you never know, one day we might end up being colleagues. :-)

TheOG on

They put me in the Talent Pool, so nor positive nor negative answer, the interview went well but I was not selected for the present vacancy. It was for Munich.

Anonymous on

simply because I read previous comments from people (from Munich) placed in the talent pool last week...

The Anonymous Friend on

@Vera How did it go? In what field are you applying ?

Michael on

@Michael: I applied for biotechnology. The interview went well, but I did not make it to the next round. Probably because my German is not good enough. Unfortunately they have the policy not to give you any feedback...

Vera on

@Michael, it seems that your where asked technical questions in the final on-site interview? Can you confirm that? Was the onsite interview more difficult compared to the previous skype interviews? If so, where the questions different? Or was it more that the answers are required to be more precise and exhaustive? Thank you!

Daniel on

Hello, is there anyone with status "in progress" until today? So far I have not received answers about my results in the online test.

Camila on

Camila, in my application says "in progress". So far I had two Skype interviews and I am scheduled for a onsite interview.

Manuela on

Hello Manuela, I also had 2 Skype interviews, including the one with the external company. But I'm still waiting for the invitation for the onsite interview. How long after the 2nd Skype interview did you received the invitation? Thanks. Simon

Simon on

The face to face interview went well for me too, even if I'm not entirely satisfied with my performance! I didn't get an offer yet. but I keep I fingers crossed.

Simon on

I heard they might skip the event in March for some people as there's another one in May

Anonymous on

I was invited for Skype interview at The Hague at January 4th. One Examiner and one HR guy. They were very polite. I asked in the end how they see me and got a positive signal although my French skills weren't sufficient (I asked for that too). They told me that for this purpose they're offering three years contracts during those one has the time to prove the required skills in the questioned language. Let's see after which time the next info will arise^^ Happy new year to all of you! btw

Jakob on

This is a bit silent! Still no feedback from the people who attended the on-site interviews in February?

Mike on

Hello everyone, I went to the October/November event and received a phone call in February to inform me that I succeeded. Then mid-March I had a couple of additionnal phone calls with HR in order to collect details for my futur contract, but so far I haven't received it. So I'm just waiting... Patience is a virtue ;-)

Simon on

Of there are no news I'll write them next week, given that for Munich applicants they are still on schedule. They missed the deadline for the Hague ones though, no one has contacted them?

EPO_Expectant on

@Vera Hi, Vera, congratulations on your interview! When did you get the invitation for the interview? Did you apply for Haague or Munich? @Michael: thanks for your explanation, and good luck in the next steps!

Aline on

@Vera they just chat with you and ask general questions. Nothing technical.

Michael on

@Aline, I applied in Den Haag @Michael, thanks for the information!

It was updated the day I had the interview and yours? I'm after Chemistry

Anonymous on

Hello, nope, still application status: in Progress. I've been told March the 4th is a turning date point for the recruiting team , new rules will be introduced which are supposed to facilitate the process....

Regina on

Any applicants from the recruitment event in the hague from 5-9 february? Any from ICT field?

Anonymous on

Hi all! Anyone here having just passed the online tests and waiting for a Skype invitation? Has anyone received one yet? I applied for the April selection events.

MJH on

Hi MJH, I have submitted my online test last week, but I do not know, if I have "passed" the exam. As far as I understood, we know it only if we are invited for a Skype iterview. Did you receive any feedback about your online assessment?

AG on

Have you had HR interview?

Anonymous on

Did the members of comeetee during the technical interview informed you about next steps and time frame about the getting back results?

Anonymous on

Yes, I have had HR interview. And they said only that if I am selected then I will be invited for an on-site interview. They didn't give me any time estimate for the feedback..

Anonymous on

Same as me. I had firstly technical and then HR.

Anonymous on

I think we should hear in coming days

Anonymous on

Does anybody know, do selected candidates receive invitation for recruitment event by mail or by phone call?

Anonymous on

Any info from EPO after HR interview? My status in application form is interw, from the date of my technical interview.

Still no news

Anonymous on

I hope we will hear some info next week, because recruitment event will be organised very soon.

Any news today from EPO?

Anonymous on

I hope that the recruitment event will not be postponed since so far they have been slow with the selection of candidates.

Anonymous on

I hope. But I think that they would be informed us if they have rejected our applications.

Anonymous on

@Regina, on their website, they say it would be within 6 weeks. I'm also impatient to know the result. Let us know if you get invited for an interview!

Michael on

Is the careers website working? Mine is now giving an error, it was working fine not so long ago... anyone can logon and check their status?

Max on

@Mike it's still ''Interview'' for me...

Simon on

Max, the site works for me

JM on

Sorry, there was something wrong with my browser. I am still on Interview...

Max on

Guys, bad news. I received a call yesterday. They told me that the froze most positions even for those accepted. They put me in the “talent pool”, and for future available positions, they will pick people in that pool....

Simon on

Hi Simon ! Thanks for the info, although it is a bad news indeed! Any chance they gave you a hint of how long the freeze is going to last?

Petra on

How come they invited people for interviews with no available positions? I went to the EPO twitter page for jobs and they posted 19/04 how they support to relocate new staff (?)

Anonymous on

Does any one know the reason for the freeze?

Good question...

Anonymous on

I guess they wish to reduce expenses. In December, Regina mentionned that examiners' targets were increased by 15%. This obviously aims at absorbing the number new patents without hiring more examiners. But I guess they will hire again in a few months as it's not possible to increase people's targets forever. Just my two cents...

Simon on

Yes but also in December and till 1 month ago their website posted."We will hire 200 new examiners in 2018"

Anonymous on

SUEPO might have a clearer view...

Anonymous on

Hello, they were expecting many new patents from China which have not yet materialized, hence there is no need for such high number of new examiners. Also, rumors (please handle this news as such) the new Directorate is going to review some schooling benefits among others.

Regina on

Looking back at numbers, sorry if I can t avoid, EPO has hired people every year in the last 40 ones, with an average of 200 new employees in the last 20 (source social report 2016). The last year it has been reported a +4 in patent demand...even if the office is asking for higher performance they will be soon or later keep on hiring. This is just my personal idea or what I like to think...

Anonymous on

@Regina what do you mean by "review some schooling benefits"? Not paying for the school of staff children? Weird...

Simon on

Don't think this will be possible to scrap. European organizations (international staff) offer that"as standard" for children integration to their relocation place. Even the EUIPO (where Campinos is coming from) has that. Don't think can scrap it for current employees, don't think can scrap it neither for new ones only. This would create inequality treatments between employees a same job.

Anonymous on

Has anyone who attended one of the selection events in April received any answer so far? I was hoping that they might have increased their efficiency after this apparently rather chaotic period in the end (beginning) of last (this) year.

Anonymous on

@Simon at all, the current choice for schooling in The Hague is for the American School (+/-25.000 € per year), British School (from +/- 15.000 to 22.000€ per year depending on kids age), European, International and others. Rumors are that the Office will provide the amount of the European School which is pretty much less, around 10.000 € per year. If you want to enroll you children in a different school then you must pay the difference.

Regina on

@Regina makes sense. Well, the european school is amazing. This is were we wanted to put the kids anyway... :)

Simon on

@ Simon I did not check this 'forum' for a while, so I did not see your message to me. No, no news. I talked to people at the office some had their targets doubled or increased by over 50%. So combining this with short term contracts and the current union rights issues makes me wonder whether I would even accept an offer if it were to appear. So if you get an offer consider what you would do if you would only end up working at the EPO for 5 years.

An Anonymous Applicant on

Hi all, any news? Anyone has contacted or been contacted by the HR? The only change that I noticed is that the application platform is updated to a new system.

Mike on

@Mike Not only that, but there are new job openings for patent examiners available.

Anonymous on

How can be possible that are new vacancies for posts that have just being frozen? Why aren't calling to the same people whose job offers have been called off and who were put in that "Talent Pool"?

Anonymous on

Maybe they are going to :)

Anonymous on

Well, they opened new vacancies, but on very specific fields. For instance, for IT it's only for Wireless telecommunications, AI, security. Previously, there were at least 20 more fields...

Simon on

@Simon : I believe that you will be one of the firsts to be called so please let us know when they contact you to join EPO :D

Mike on

Best of luck, fingers crossed!

Regina on

@Mike Haha ! If only you were right... unfortunately none of these are my fields...

Simon on

@Simon: exactly! Why would they not announce previously announced field? Because they already got the candidates in last recruitment event .. however they are on hold like it is your case! That is my logic.. I hope I am right as I am also waiting for an answer ;)

Mike on

Has anybody been called lately?

An Anonymous Applicant on

Anyone who had interview in den haag in February has received feedback yet?

Anonymous on

No news for me .. anybody tried to email them?

Mike on

I tried twice with my referent for the interview invitation and once with the referent for previous Skype interview but no answer. May that be our policy for those who are still ongoing the selection process? My status on the career website is still "interview" from january

Anonymous on

Results for me: not selected :(

Anonymous on

Hallo all, has anyone received a feedback so far... From talent pool, from the last applications or other sources? ManyThanks

Anonymous on

The Hague February interview here: I received a call basically telling me that the position I was intended for was cut, which explains the long delay. I was placed on a reserve list, however they told me that there is no chance of receiving any offer this year. Has anyone at all gotten an offer?

Anonymous on

Apparently, the online test results are not real showstoppers. I've flunked the online test and got rejected. Then, I'd reapplied next time and was invited for a skype interview.

Putzfrau on

It seems that the hiring has been stopped for quite sometime. The recruitment is going (maybe to keep HR busy) but they aren't hiring. It scandalous what they are doing. Hoping it won't be your case, but don't waste much energy on it.

Anonymous on

Where did u get this info? It sounds really strange, I mean the EPO is an international organization with a vision and strategy.

Anonymous on

Hi guys, I see you are speculation a lot. I got a a job offer. (@Simon) End of April I also got a phone call that the position I was selected for was cut. But they already at that point found another possible one. I did a second technical skype interview for the new one and end of May I got the job offer. Few days ago I got the confirmations that the screening and the medical examination are both fine, so in autumn I am starting in the Hague. I doubt that I am the only one starting ... there should be other newly recruited people. True, it was extremely long process, I applied end of august 2017 and had face to face interview in Nov 2017. I believe that the ones selected whose position got cut, still can get another possibility to join. Good luck to everybody!

Hi Simon, congratulations!! You info is really welcome thanks

Anonymous on

Yes, the selection period seems quite lengthy (2018's round): 1. Applied in July, 2. shortly after sat the SHL IQ Test 3. behavioral/motivational Interview with and external company August, 4. technical skype interview in September (3 senior examiner/team lead, 1 HR) in September 5. Silent since then, status "Interview" in the ATS I mean it's ok to take their time, but not giving any notifcation/timeline in a lengthy selection, would'nt you filter for those candidates who i) are very determined to only work in this position and nowhere else and/or ii) do not find any other options If you can again exclude ii) by interviews, it's a good method to recruit "loyal" staff ... ? Has anybody news from this years round?

Felix on

Thanks for sharing! Yep, thats what I also figured, concerning the announced recruiting events... May be they are keeping candidates as s fallback, if prefered candidates drop out etc.. I did as suggested, last week, but didnt receive any reply (legitimate looking at ~10K candidates total?) Did you a positve interview yourself? Either good luck or congrats! Best, Felix

Felix on

Hello again Felix, From my point of view, I had a good interview but there might always be a better candidate, so you never know :) I think you would be placed in the "talent pool" status if you were a reserve. So something looks wrong with your case. I hope you get an interview chance soon. It looks like, they are quite busy and they don't respond the emails very often. However I think you can reach your contact person by phone. You need to call the switchboard of EPO and provide them the name of the contact. Thank you for kind wishes! Best

Anonymous on

Hello, everybody, has anyone experienced how long it takes to get feedback after the Skype interviews? Had the second Skype interview a week ago. Do I have to wait a long time again? What have your experiences been? Thank you and many greetings

NaNa on

For those who applied this summer and had the face to face interview at the end of October 2018. Did you get any news? I was told I should receive an answer at the end of November. If they put you in a talent pool, do you still have chances, since there are thousand of other people in that pool? Greets

Peppe on

Hi Folks, I had my second Skype interview today, yet documents and people were from an area quite different than the one I had applied for. Asking about timeline, I was answered that face-to-face interviews are probably foreseen next year, w.o. precise date. Good luck to you all!

Felix on

Recruitment events This is what is written on their web site. Our next recruitment events will take place in The Hague from 04.03.2019 to 08.03.2019 and in Munich from 11.03.2019 to 15.03.2019. As a general rule, you will be invited to the location (Munich or The Hague) for which your application is being considered.

Anonymous on

I heard that recruitment is been frozen since 2018 , with successful candidates put in talent pool.

Anonymous on

Did someone hear back after the technical interview? I have had mine 2 days ago and I haven't heard back anything yet (and according to past comments you should probably hear the next day). Thanks!

Anonymous on

I also had my technical interview same day as you. I haven't heard anything yet. What is your application status on the jobs portal when you look at your application? Mine is still 'In Progress'.

Anonymous on

Mine is "Interview" but I don't know what does that even mean... When was the status of your application lastly updated? Also, may I ask for what field were you interviewed for? I was for AI & Quantum Computing.

Anonymous on

Guys it's already 4 week passed. This is not professional at all, why do they need so much time to give us an answer, it's really irritating

nightou on

I fully understand you, but all that remains for us to do is to wait and be patient. Cross fingers for an update this week

HagueApplicant on

@Pessimistically Positive Guy did you receive anything from the epo? Any news?

ctr on

Hello Ctr and all. I have just received an email that more time to the recruitment process will be needed as they are trying to allocate the suitable candidates to the positions offered. At least they were on time on informing us. To be honest I cannot interpret this as good or bad. Just news... You Ctr, any news?

Pessimistically Positive Guy on

Hi, I received an email from EPO today..they informed me of a delay with finalising selection procedure. Anybody else received it?

An on

I received it too. Couple more weeks awaiting...

EPO_Expectant on

I received mail, just about the delay about finalising selection procedure. In the e-mail it was not mentioned anything about allocating the suitable candidates to the position. In general, I think it is a positive mail, because, if the rejected us, we would have been informed.

Anonymous on

I received the same mail @Pessimistically Positive Guy.. Seems so that we have to wait another couple of weeks.

Ctr on

Anybody who participated in May recruitment event and received mail that is not selected or saw it on participant portal? Please share with us. Thanks a lot in advance. MayEpo

Anonymous on

I received the same email too.

Kti on

Hello, i also received this email yesterday. It was indicated allocation of suitable candidates ....I think it can't be interpretated as good or bad. It is just standard mail because the procedure is exceptionally long.

Prd on

I think you who got email about allocating suitable candidates it is positive. In my e-mail it wasn't mentioned like that:-(

Anonymous on

@Anonymous, that most probably is because not the same HR person contacted all the candidates (for instance one from Munich and one from The Hague), each one drafting the email their own way. I wouldn't worry about that

EPO_Expectant on

@EPO_Expectant I couldn't agree more. I was about to write the same thing.

Pessimistically Positive Guy on

Hello everybody, I don't know if you remember my message on 27 May. I told you that they contacted me to inform that the recruitment procedure is delayed and that we will have final decisions at the end of July. These 2 messages are related. So, I think that we will all have to wait till the end of July!

Kti on

@Kti: I am not completely sure, because they informed you that you were successful and they are waiting for the balancing between departments. In my case, I am not sure that I was successful, because they did not informed me about it. I got just general email about delay, it doesn't mean that I was successful. MayEPO

Anonymous on

@Kti: Did you receive general email about the delay or email about the allocating the suitable candidates for the offered position? Thanks in advance. MayEPO

Anonymous on

End of July? That's way past the expected date. Have you guys applied to the new positions that close on June the 30th? I was hoping to have the results prior to such date and wasn't even concerned about it

EPO_Expectant on

@Anonymous : I did not mean that all of us were successful, just that the delay that they informed us now is due to the same balancing exercice they told me before. I received an email about allocating suitable candidates to positions. I wanted to let you know that maybe we will all have to wait till end of july (and not in the coming weeks) to have a final decision.

Kti on

Hi, I am wondering also is it good to apply for the new position, if we do not know results from previous one? I would also apply. What do you think guys??? MayEpo

Anonymous on

@Kti: from whom you received the mail of allocating suitable candidates? I received from Maria-Isidora Tsivdari and it was not mentioned about allocating suitable candidates.

Anonymous on

Hi, Further to the email that most of you received about allocating the suitable candidates, i have also been asked to provide several documents (ID, university degree and diplomas, contracts of employment, work certificates......). Did anyone receive this kind of request?

Anonymous on

When did you have been asked for sending the documents? In the same email where they informed you about allocating the suitable candidates? Thanks

Anonymous on

It was in a previous email end of may (28 of may). At this time i tought that they wouldn't ask so much document for nothing. Then, mid of june came the email about allocating the suitable candidates...

Anonymous on

@May_EPO I was thinking the opposite, not to apply, because it is stated that if you are successful with a candidature (even if you are being put into the talent pool) you need to do nothing further. Nonetheless I am having my doubts about it...given that of I'm unsuccessful, I will miss this opportunity and will have to way probably to 2020 May events if lucky... @Anonymous, that's good news I believe! Being asked for contracts and additional documents seems like it's a signal of being considered at this stage Have any more of you guys contacted them regarding the date? I don't completely see your point @Kti, you told us that the restructuring was only for your area of expertise, yet we've all received the delay-email which stated a couple of more weeks of wait, not month an a half. Why do you think the same kind of restructuring is happening to all the departments? And please guys, use a pseudonym, I'm starting to get lost with the sea of "Anonymous"

EPO_Expectant on

@ EPO_Expectant: I asked if both messages that I have received were related and they said yes.

Kti on

Hi all, I saw that a lot of you received e-mail about allocating the suitable candidates, it is probably good sign. I received e-mail which start like: ``We would like to thank you for the time you have invested in our selection procedure and the interest you have shown in working as an examiner in our organisation.`` and then mentioned just about delay. I think from starting of the e-mail it is not optimistic, it sounds that they want to thank me for application and soon send me the rejection e-mail. Also, they did not ask me for sending additional documents. Anyone who received the e-mail with the sam starting introduction?? Please, share. Good luck for everyone.

Probably not selected on

@Probably not selected. My mail started the same way however it mentions also the allocation of the suitable candidates. Long before I received this mail, I was asked to send my documents. Do you guys have the sams mail beginning? Thanks!

Ctr on

@Ctr. Thanks Ctr, let`s try to solve was it sent by the same person? I received it from Ms Maria-Isidora Tsivadi, You guys?

Probably not selected on

@Ctr I do have the same email beginning and as well received it weeks after the documents-request one @Probably not selected mine was sent to me from Ms. Laura F., Not from Ms. Maria-Isidora T. @Kti thank you for clarifying. We'll all have to wait another month then I guess

EPO_Expectant on

Hello, I received email from both HR: the hague and munich. I applied to the hague I received documents request (in may) and the email about allocating suitable candidate from Munich. Have you also been asked to provide all these documents ?

Maybe den haag on

@Maybe den Haag: where have you had your on-site interview? Den Haag or Munich?

Anonymous on

Is there anyone with a different status than “Interview“ on the talent portal? Thanks!

Ctr on

For me is Interview. For you guys?

Also "interview" status

nightou on

Guys, Now I think that we were all successful and now we need to check is there possibilities to allocate us to some positions. I do not see reasons why they would keep us uninformed if we were not suitable for the position. If you see in the comments from previous years, almost everyone who was rejected have had been informed around one month after on-site interview. Fingers crossed for all.

May_EPO on

Correction: *They need to check are there any opposites

May_EPO on

That is my opinion as well @May_EPO, we'll just have to wait. At this point, and after thinking it through, I have just discarded applying to the current openings. I believe it is the best not to damage the May application

EPO_Expectant on

Hi guys, Any mails, any news? Thanks for sharing.

May_EPO on

I was in the same situation 2 year ago. It took them 4 months to "make a decision", then after being successful, had to sent docs for EPO to calculate my experience, hence, grade, hence salary. I was managed by a lady (LF, of Spanish surname) She told me my contract will be arriving in 2 weeks. At week 3, another lady called me (LF was supposed to start a new position) to say that due to budget constraints they couldn't offer me a contract at the moment. Finally she sent me an email staying that they did not have a position available... and was invited to be put in the Talent Pool for 18 months with (to my decision) possibility of extend it and I could be offer a position either in Munich or Hage in the future. Same answer to the bunch of people that were successful like myself. Since then, EPO have been going again through the same recruitment process ( same field) for both location but they have never contacted me to fill in a position. (Was not the TP to fill available positions and save the EPO time and resources???) Everyone will have their expectations and experiences but the EPO is an unreliable organization nowadays. it recruitment practices are very unprofessional disrespectful. Don't expect much from them. P.e. To the person with an University position offer...EPO is (if so) offering 5 y contracts.

Anonymous on

Hi All, I can only second what the Anomymous post said before me. Do NOT pass on other position because you are waiting on the EPO. I was also told I would be chosen for a position 2 years ago. 6 months after I was called by the EPO recruitment telling me that the position was cut, but they still wanted me. When I told recruitment that I was still interested, but now also looking for positions while waiting, as I had not heard from the EPO (even though I contacted them). The recruiter sounded surprised and thought I should still wait. Needless to say I have not heard from them since and they also recruited again in my field. Consider getting the job at the EPO as a lottery win. You do NOT put your life on hold waiting to win the lottery. The EPO recruitment is unfortunately as predictable as winning the lottery.

Another Anonymous from 2 years ago on

Someone who got accepted and actually also got a position?

@Ctr: Did you get any info? Thanks in advance

May_EPO on

@May_EPO no news unfortunately! You guys heard something?

Ctr on

Hello, I would like to thank the 2 anonymous who shared their experiences with epo recruitment (21 and 23/06). I think we are all in the same situation: interview, provide document.......and now waiting.......what is new for me is that the epo can proceed such way: propose a position and then cancel it. It is usefull to make a decision ! On 30/06, the application will be close for next event. Unless we all get an answer this week, the new recruitment process will start without closing the previous one. If anyone get an answer, please share.

yes or no on

Hi guys, Just to inform you that I received e-mail that I am not selected. All the best for the other candidates.

May_EPO on

@May_EPO wow sorry about that bro at what time did you receive the e mail?

@ nightou About 9.30

May_EPO on

Ok thanks, what did they? are you in the talent pool?

nightou on

@May_EPO: no, just not selected.

May_EPO on

@May_EPO Really sorry to hear that. There's still time to re-apply though. On the other hand, probably you have already escaped a long period of uncertainty... Good luck to anything you do!

Pessimistically Positive Guy on

@EPO_May sorry for that. All the best for the future. @Pessimistically Positive Guy any news from your side?

Ctr on

@Ctr Nope. Nothing at all.

Pessimistically Positive Guy on

@Pessimistically Positive Guy ok thanks a lot!

Ctr on

Hi Guys, I applied about 2 weeks ago, I can see that they have extended the deadline to 14th July. I checked my application status it says interview, does this mean I will receive an interview or test?

Anon on

@Anon: Hello Anon! First of all, good luck with your application. I am not quite sure that the status in the jobs.epo.org page is being updated promptly, or that it is acurate, so, dont really rely on that. I think that, first of all, you will have to pass some online skill tests (logical thinking, verbal understanding etc.). Based on the score (I suppose) on these tests, you will be asked to attend an online (Skype) technical interview. Finally, according to your performance on those tests you will be asked to attend a face to face interview on site, in Munich or Hague. As for the rest of us waiting, I think that what it was said to someone that was informed that the process will be delayed until endings of July, makes absolute sense now. I believe that they will evaluate the new candidates as well, and will make their final decision even after that. So, I believe that some of us will get (probably) negative responses around the last week of July and also believe that it is very hard that any of us will be receiving any acceptance letter before September...

Pessimistically Positive on

@Anon: Hello. If your cv is selected, you will receive an invitation for skype interview and, in a same email the tests (do not underestimate these tests). Usually, you receive the email 2 weeks after the application deadline. @Pessimistically Positive: they delayed the application deadline to 14/07 without moving the interview date in october. I don't know if there is a link but the EPO’s Strategic Plan 2023 has been released few days ago. In this document, there are some orientation for recruitment. I hope we will get an answer before end of july.

Anonymous on

@anonyme just above : what does the document say about the recruitment strategy? Do you have a link to the document please? Thanks

Thanks mate

nightou on

Hi, Does anyone have experience/information applying as a civil engineering? I am interested in applying but not sure exactly what to expect.

yoda on

Hey Guys, Did anyone tried to mail them? to ask about how much time it's going to take for the finalization?

nightou on

Hello everyone, I just received an email from EPO telling me that "it is very unlikely that we will be able to issue job offers starting in the year 2019. This is due to the fact that the exercise to optimise internal resources has not been completed yet. I expect to have a clearer picture in October/November of this year." They offered me the opportunity to join the EPO Talent Pool. So I think that everything is clear now. They will not be recruiting anyone this year!

Kti on

Hello Kti, thanks for this info. That's actually interesting because I received a call on Monday from the EPO. They wanted to tell me that I am considered suitable but that due to internal processes it will take some more weeks until they could figure out how many positions they can fill. I was told that latest beginning of October they will have news for me. And further, they confirmed that they will definitely hire people (with earliest start date Feb 2020). So, it seems that the information is slightly differs from that of your email?!

Gaaaab on

Hi, does anyone know how long after a technical interview will they let you know whether you are invited to the in person interview or not? Also, do they send you a rejection email if you are not selected? thanks

AnonDE on

Hi, I also received a call on monday with exactly the same sound as gaaaab: Suitable candidate but no decision before september/october and earliest start date in 2020. I still not understand why they spend so much energy in organizing recruitment without any position. For the application ending 14/07 and interview in October, they recruit in the same field...... @AnonDE, after the technical skype interview, i got the answer 1 week after.

perso on

Thanks for your reply @perso. Did your application status change after the interview? Mine still says interview but the date is updated. Thanks

AnonDE on

Does anyone know when they will invite people for Oct recruitment event?

AA on

Hi, does anyone has experience with civil engineering application? I am asking because the rotating machines experience that they ask at their site is more of a mechanical engineering topic. Thanks

EPO2020 on

Hi, @EPO2020. Yes, i applied to this field for may event. It is more about mechanical engineering (valve, pump, turbine, circuit....): design, manufacturing, operation.....

Anonymous on

@Anonymous, I suspected that. Thanks for the information. I am wondering whether they have civil engineering positions but this is another topic...

EPO2020 on

Any news from anyone?

Aj123 on

Nothing yet :/

nightou on

Have you had the skype interviews yet?

Anon on

Has anybody received a reply after the October interviews? Thanks!

Anonym on

Any news??

Private-Reserve on

Hello Good job for your success ! Could you tell us what was written on your EPO career system during these waiting months ? (Talent pool ? Finished / In progress) Thank you :)

Anonymous on

That place is now a mess. IMO, nothing will be sort out till July.

Anonymous on

Weird. Looks very unprofessional for every angle. People waiting since October/November for a contract? You don't recruit or hire people is you aren't ready. Not trusting it. They replies and rethoric are very vague. Having the feeling that all the time they aren't telling you the final true. We will see.

Anonymous on

I suppose the whole recruitment system is stopped at the moment... Why do u think till July?

Anonymous on

When the administration changes. Two and a half months gone and no contracts yet? The bunch of people who went to the February round should have been at least notify of the outcome of their interviews (considering that the contract changes were already approved. ..)Maybe the changes hasn't really been approved or settled or... It's ok a bit of bureaucracy but you would expect more clarity from an organisation like these one. On the contrary, they are very vague on their answers. Very much think that is all politically tangled to the outgoing president. And may be worth the wait!

Anonymous on

My hope is that as the recruitment process is now stopped (positions are not being posted as usual), the acceptance rate of our recruitment event will be higher to compensate it! eheh

Mike on

I don't know. It is very silent. No recruitment events coming up. No news for those who have been to the February's ones. No heard of any whi has received a contract from October November one. If you browse, there are articles or at least literature, talking about rumours of layoffs of staff. I wish I were a fly at the EPO! :)

Anonymous on

I like to think it is all connected to the new recruitment policy but at the moment..who knows...

Anonymous on

@AG yeah I don't know if I "passed" either. I haven't received any feedback yet! @Mike thanks for the clarification! That's good news, it's horrible to stay in a grey area and never know if they reject you

MJH on

Thanks MJH and Mike for the clarifications, Since the application deadline was extended to the 18th of February, the last day of the online assessment should be around the beginning of the next week. Therefore, I think it would be realistic to wait for a response from the end of the next week on. By the way, how should we interpret the extension of the deadline? Maybe the rumours about the limited contracts and the shared insider experiences have influenced the total number of applications negatively.

AG on

Indeed they might have received less applicants than they thought they would. What is also possible is that since things are supposed to change on the 4th of March, extending the deadline made part of their process synchronize with these changes, or coincide in a way that's convenient.

MJH on

Since I started looking one year ago every time there was a recruitment batch the deadline extension has been extended, so I think it is common practice. I do not think they are lacking applicants, maybe for very specific subjects only. In the 2017 report they show that they had ca 15,000 applications for 200 positions. Regarding the online tests, expect a long waiting time. The rejection do not come the same time an invitation for a skype interview would come. I think they keep you a little longer in the pool just in case. I applied twice, and once waited 2 months for the rejection after the online tests, and then 1,5 months. Good Luck!

Aline on

hi guys, i applied for an administrator - non technical - position roughly a month ago, i suppose the procedure is very much the same as the one for the examiners? would be curious to hear from someone who has also applied for a job in other areas. my status is still in progress.

kat on

Thanks Aline for clarification. My status is still in progress too but the status date was updated as of yesterday.

AG on

My status is also the same, Thanks Alice for the clarification!

MJH on

Any feedback from the people who attended the on-site interviews in February?

Mike on

My status is changed to "interview" since yesterday. According to the post of Michael on 02.10.2017, this would mean that my application is shortlisted. The next step should then be a Skype interview. I would really appreciate, if those, who had the interview before, could tell us how the first Skype interview goes. Shall we expect a typical HR interview or a technical interview? If technical, is it just to check the level of expertise in the applied field or more to check the general knowledge on intellectual property? It is also mentioned in previous entries about some case studies, in which some patents are sent one night before to be read. Is there any specific remark on that? Any hints for the preparation? Thanks in advance for those, who can share his or her own interview experiences :)

AG on

@OP: Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. It will definitely help. You mentioned in your post, that you were offered a 5 years contract. I thought the decision about the temporary contracts hasn't been taken officially yet. Did you sign your contract already?

AG on

Anyone with any news then?

Regina on

I don't know if it has any meaning but there are no vancancies posted for patent examiners for a while now ..

Mike on

Has someone received the job offer from the EPO yet? I was told to expect the offer at the end of march but no news...

Max on

Still no news from the recruitment event in February. Anyone had? I noticed that next week takes place the interviews for other recruitment series... Will they combine the candidates of both series to decide?

Mike on

Still no news for me too from the on-site interview (Munich).

JM on

Any news on the offers/contracts?

Anonymous on

What is going on at EPO?

Anonymous on

Has someone received a job offer in the last weeks?

Anonymous on

Hi All, still no news also (from The Hague recruitment event). Has someone emailed EPO already? I believe everything is stopped due to the controversy around the new contract rules and they will even add the two recruitment event candidates and treat them as one. Let's see if we have any news soon.

Mike on

I also participated to the recruitment round in The Hague in February. One of the HR lady told me to expect long delays because of administative changes occuring at the EPO... But I didn't expect such delays! I wrote them an email one month ago asking for news. I was told there was yet not decision taken. I then asked if I could have a rough idea of when the decision will be taken but didn't recieve any answer. I guess we will have to keep being patient and hope for the best!

Petra on

Anyone from the October/November event has received a concrete offer? Back in February when they realised the outcome for that round they said the offer should be ready end of March, beginning of April.

Anonymous on

Anyone from October/November round with a concrete offer?

Anonymous on

Any offer received from the round October/November

Anonymous on

Thanks Petra for this useful information. This whole story with the attempted changes to the contracts seems to have created a mess for the recruiting procedure. From our view too it is too bad in my opinion as the job contract conditions are altered to the worse during the procedure and more importantly after the application, and moreover we have to wait significantly longer than anticipated.

JM on

Has EPO actually started employing people since the new contract/s scheme? Seems that things aren't right but they maintain the "recruitment machine " as usual for marketing purposes.

Anonymous on

I don t see any new posting since some weeks, maybe the recruitment process has been stopped recently. I also read on the web site that the AC approved on the 27/03 the office proposal CA/3/18... Now I don t know if there is any other step required or union are just asking additional info/changes... It would be nice if someone has info regarding the topic could share them.. we can just wait :)

Anonymous on

Agree with what said above. It's little and unclear information given by EPO itself. Not clear if changes have been implemented and stuff goes ahead or everything has stopped for a while...Till the new administration.

Anonymous on

Received a rejection for this application today.

Jakob on

@Jakob sorry to hear that. In what field did you apply? Still no feedback for those who went to the face-to-face interview in October/November?

General technology

Jakob on

Got the documents today for the skype technical interview tomorrow. Quite a lot of stuff to read... but good that the night is young :). Sara

Anonymous on

@MMK and @An Anonymous Applicant Still no news on your side?

Simon on

Sara, what field did you applied in? cheers.

Regina on

Well the EPO is not like an UN agency receiving plenty of money from goverments. They actually have to be cost effective. If you ever applied in an International Organization (UN or other) you'd notice that they have about 1/3 of fixed term employees. That's how it works. Personnaly, it doesn't bother me. I'm not sure I want to work for the EPO more than 15 years anyway...

Simon on

@Simon: Agree. It certainly is different for each person. I would have also understood to raise from 5% fixed contracts to 10%, but 40%? That's more than just flexibility. What is striking: When they were looking for permanent appointments before this suggestion, they looked for long-term committed people and that it was somewhere mentioned that it's difficult to find a job outside EPO once you work there a few years. Assuming this was a correct statement, fixed term contracts then put you in a bit difficult situation.

Anonymous on

Also, taken into account that someone needs 2-3 years to be 100% productive and work with no support, then 5 years might no be enough to demonstrate you productivity.

max muster on

And: Once you are leaving EPO and you came from another country, you have then no rights of social security in this country (Germany, Netherlands) as you worked for an international organization & no contributions were paid to the country's system.

Anonymous on

@max maybe, the point is not to show that you're productive, but to be obedient and cause no trouble. There's several news article about how the current director is in conflict with the syndicates inside the EPO. So maybe this short term contract is a way to get rid of "political agitators" if needed.

Simon on

Anyone else from the late october batch had any news? Im still waiting...

M on

Still waiting too, interviewed last october...

Anonymous on

Same here. On linkedin they said the process is still ongoing for last event.

Simon on

No news for me neither. During the interview they asked if I could/prefer to start on Feb 1 or on April 1 2018 in case of positive decision. I answered Feb 1 then. It is in 2 weeks... and I am still waiting for decision. I guess no one would start in February.

MMK on

@MMK Funny, they said to me that language lessons start in March and asked if it would suit me...

Simon on

@Simon Really. What language? I have in all three more than B2. In my application I wrote I would be happy to start in March. During the interview they told me the education of new examiners would is starting every 2 months, so I have to choose Feb or April.

MMK on

Fingers crossed. At least we are not alone, you guys keep me going. I doubt that anything they said during interviews still applies. They must have some exceptional circumstances going on. I was told i'd get an answer in 2-3 weeks...

M on

You also keep me going. Here's a patent joke for you guys: Three lawyers are riding to court together one day and, unfortunately, are killed in a horrible traffic accident. When they reach the pearly gates, St. Peter welcomes them and asks the first lawyer: - Welcome to heaven. Can you tell me what you did while you were on earth? - He replied: I was a divorce lawyer, and tried to help couples who had difficulties in their relationship - I see, replied St. Peter, you were taking advantage of people who were willing to pay anything to get back at their partner! and he sends him to hell. Along comes the second lawyer, and explains to St. Peter: - I was a personal injury attorney, trying to assist those who had been unfairly injured. - Ah yes, that's what we call an ambulance chaser up here! and sends him to the same fate as the first attorney. Finally the third attorney approaches and tells St. Peter he was a patent attorney. St. Peter says ''Welcome! Come on in!'' and shows him to heaven, just to the right of God. After a few minutes of this, the patent lawyer finally asks: - But St. Peter, you've sent my friends to Hell, but you welcome me? - Ah, says St. Peter, but you're a patent attorney, you don't know enough law to hurt anybody!

Simon on

Hi all I have applied 15.11 and completed the online test a week after. Since then I got no feedback and status is still --in progress--. The selection event for November applicants (in Munich) is next week 22.01. I guess this means that I am not selected right?

mark on

How do the online tests look like? Are they similar to GMAT?

Putzfrau on

@Putzfrau I'm not sure of what GMAT tests consist, but here a short descriptions of the online tests: - a logical test: you see sequences of 4 patterns and for each you have to select which pattern should follow. - a mathematical test. Several exercises mainly related to percentages, currency rates and reading charts. Review your basics beforehand and you'll be fine. - a comprehension test. You'll have a short journalistic abstract along with yes or no questions. The goal is to see with if you can understand advanced texts. - a personality test. I'm not sure what's the point of this one :) They say you can use a calculator for the maths test, but I advise to have Excel open. You'll save a lot of time. I hope it helps.

Simon on

@mark Before going to the selection event, candidates go through 2 Skype interviews (1 technical, 1 HR). If you hadn't those yet, I'm afraid it's bad news...

Simon on

Hello again! Has anyone from the october recruitment event received an answer lately?

Simon on

Hi Simons, unfortunately no news.

Still waiting

M on

@MMK & M Have you send an email recently to have some news? I don’t dare do it!

Simon on

Haha, same. I will try calling this week.. but hopes are pretty low

M on

I guess I will still wait this week. If there is no update, I will write an e-mail next week.

MMK on

Hello to everyone and the best of luck! I applied to Medical Technology (Munich) in November and passed the online tests just after. Since then I have no news. I checked that the recruitment events for our batch is on 19-22 February, so I understand that the timeline is tight. Has anyone already passed an online interview for Medical Technology, Munich (application November 2017)? This would help me place my application on the general grid :) Thanks DGK

DGK on

Heyy guys!!! This week I got an e-mail to schedule a phone call with HR. The call was to inform me that I was successful and they will offer me a job at EPO! :)))))) The big delay was because of the change in the contract scheme for newly recruited people. I hope strongly the same will happen to you very soon! Good luck everybody!

MMK on

@MMK Congratulations!! All the best!

DGK on

@MMK me too ;-)

Big congrats @MMK! ...There may be a resolution on the horizon after all

Big congrats @MMK! ...There may be a resolution on the horizon after all

Thanks! Simon also job offer? Congrats! Great news

@Simon @all on

Hi everybody and thanks for the useful comments in this thread. I am also somewhere in the middle of the application process and my question to those who recently received a job offer would be: Any details regarding the (expected) contract you can share? Is it time limited (as currently expected by everybody) or does it at least lead to a permanent position? Thanks, Ted

Anonymous on

Hello Ted, they explained me that, now they are offering only 5 years contracts to begin with. After that, it can be renewed or converted into a permanent contract. Good luck.

Simon on

@MMK They told me that they would send me the offer next month but didn't give me any possible start date. Did they give you any info about that?

Simon on

@Simon Not exactly. They told me May-June, more probable starting date would be June.

MMK on

OK, so it seems as they are really implementing the 5 year contracts despite the fact that there are protests in the Netherlands since this is obviously breaking Dutch (and German) labor law. Battistelli made it pretty clear that those 5 year contracts should be renewed once or twice but that the long term goal is to get rid of these employees again, so considering the average entry age of 35, you'll be standing on the street somewhere in Rijswijk or Munich with 50 without any expertise than patent search. Of course everybody must decide for himself / herself but I won't do it. Too risky. Either permanent or nothing. Ted

Anonymous on

I agree with Ted 10000% 5 year contracts is a no-go for me. After 2-3 years our marketability will considerably drop, let alone after 5 or 10 years. And then a number 45 to 50 year old patent examiners will be seeking patent lawer positions cause this is the only job available after EPO. Which in turn will not be appealing due to supply and demand ratio. My two cent.... Nevertheless congrats to those who got an offer!!!

Max Muster on

I'm sorry if my message sounded a bit too negative. Of course also congratulations from my side. I know how hard it is to reach this goal. As I said - everybody must decide for himself/herself. I can totally understand that in some personal situations 5 (or 10 or 15) years at the EPO might be better than nothing or 5 years in a super sh*tty job. But for me, I've decided to definitely turn down a 5 year contract in case they will be offering one (which currently doesn't look too bad). Of course I can only invite everybody else here to do the same, maybe this tiny group of Glassdoor applicants can put some pressure onto EPO HR. Imagine: Just because you had the bad luck to get a job offer between 01/2018 and the beginning of the Campinos regime (who is hopefully sane enough to end this cr*p) you'll be one of a handful of people at the EPO without a permanent contract. That would drive me nuts. Ted

Ted on

Hi all, I see that this has become a tiny forum! Also, I'm an applicant and one of the reasons is the benefits of such position! But now I'm intrigued by the 5 year contract. Are you saying that after 5/10 years they will not renew with you and kick you out? What is the difference between that and know? As far as I understood you have a 2 year contract since it is your probatory period right? Cheers

Mike on

Hi all, I undestand everyone's furstration. To make it clearer I will quote the exact words from EPO HR: In future we intend to propose to new recruits 5-year contracts which can be extended and / or converted into permanent employment contracts. My feeling is that some examiners become lazy after a few years and can't get rid of them. This new type of contract should allow the EPO to assess new comers for 5 or 10 years and keep only the best. But that's only my opinion. Good luck.

Simon on

@Ted and @Simon thank you for the insights! However, I believe that a new board will change the rules again but meanwhile the struggle is real ... I'm applying and I hope I get selected as this seems a wonderfull starting point for a more stable life compared to research grants! Cheers

Mike on

Just to add another voice... I agree with Ted and Max Musterman; temporary contracts are out of question -- not in this business, which is a one way street (at least after 5 years of EPO experience). I also just received recently the news to be offered a contract by the end of March. I did my interview back in October 2017. However, I will turn it down in case of the five year termination. It is sad that the EPO positions are not that attractive anymore. Anyway, congrats to all of you who finally made it and had to endure this extensive period of silence!

Linda on

Yes, it makes sense. Unfortunately. But it's OK that we are inner cycle.

Anonymous on

Still not news. I hope that no news is good news😊

Anonymous on

I am not sure if no news is good news. I think they have contacted the selected candidates but they haven't replied here and hence we don't know. There is simply no time given that the recruitment event is next week for roles in the Hague and not to mention that there are applicants from all around the world that need to plan and book flights. So, I am not hopeful at all.

Anonymous on

Maybe, they postponed us for the recruitment event in May? As you can see above as somebody mentioned.

Anonymous on

I called them and they confirmed I was rejected

You called them today?

Anonymous on

I called them on Friday last week. Good luck to you guys!

Anonymous on

Thank you very much. What was the status of your application before you got information that you are rejected? Thanks a lot again.

Anonymous on

And did you do technical and HR interview?

My status was interview. I did both Skype interviews yes

Anonymous on

Thank you very much. Now I have a little bit disappointed. Probably, I am rejected also.

Anonymous on

Hi guys, if somebody got answer positive or negative, please, let us know. Also, if somebody has any kind of information, please share with us. Thanks a lot.

Anonymous on

I emailed them and they have not responded but changed the status on my application to "Not Selected". At least I know now!

Anonymous on

Thanks a lot for sharing the information with us. You are great:-)

Anonymous on

Hi guys. Any news from EPO?

Anonymous on

I have just seen "Not selected" in my profile.

Anonymous on

Any more news on the selection process?

Pinco on

Does somebody have experience to apply 2 or more times for EPO. I have not been selected for the recruitment event in the March, but now there is another position for which I would like to apply. I am not sure is it clever to apply just after one month of unsuccessful interviews.

Anonymous on

Did somebody get invitation for online assessment from EPO for the post which are closed last Sunday?

Anonymous on

Hi, I haven't got an invitation, but my status changed to "interview" yesterday.

Anony1 on

Did you do any online test in the last 1 year?

Anonymous on

Hi, did you do any online test in the past year?

Anonymous on

Hi, This is the first time I apply. A couple of days after I saw my status had changed, I received both the online test and interview invitation at the same time, each with a proposed date 4 days apart. I am guessing that this is because I sent my application close to the deadline and they need to get all the Skype interviews done before the Recruitment Event? I'm not sure how it works, as they keep a pool of CVs for later vacancies...

Anony1 on

Thank you very much. Did somebody get invitation for technical interview or non technical-HR interview? Tnx

Anonymous on

eventually, even successful end up in the infamous "talent pool" because hiring have been frozen in 2018

Anonymous on

Hi, could someone please clarify. I applied for the first time (the 9 April posting) My job application is flagged as "not selected" but I never received any feedback after the initial confirmation of application. Does that mean that I did not pass the administrative check? Or that I did not pass the technical requirements? I am confused about what happened since the FAQ page says "Candidates who do not meet the minimum requirements for the position in question will be automatically disqualified and will receive an immediate notification of rejection."

Anonymous on

Sorry, I applied for the posting with the deadline on March 30.

Anonymous on

There is something weird with the post that closed on March 24 - the original vacancy add is literally impossible to find ANYWHERE online, I looked at close to 10 places where it was originally posted + Googled it extensively. Why would they do that?

Anonymous on

Hi guys. Anyone received invitation for technical interview?

Anonymous on

I don't understand one thing .. if the recruitment is frozen, why do they keep on opening new positions and announcing the recruitments as legit?

Anonymous on

Hi guys, is there anyone here who has participated to the recruitment events in March? Have you had any feedback since then?

Anonymous on

I sent them an email regarding feedback and they replied the same day

Anonymous on

I received an email saying I did not make it and that it was their policy not to provide feedback. Not sure if this was a general email for everyone who did not pass or I received it as a reply to my email asking about feedback.

Anonymous on

I received the same email. When did you get yours?

11 April. You?

Anonymous on

Me too, also as a reply to my email

Anonymous on

Hi! Is there anyone here who has received invitation to the next recruitment event in May (either in The Hague or Munich)? Any further feedback will be appreciated.

Anonymous on

Hi, when had you technical interview?

Anonymous on

Hello, I received an email notifying that I was selected for the face to face interview for the recruitment event in May. I am waiting for the formal invitation with the exact day. What about you? Did you receive the invitation with the exact schedule?

Kti on

Hi. Congratulations, I did not receive d any e-mail. I had my technical interview 7 days ago. Today I checked my profile, and the status is interview like before, only the date has been changed for today's date. When did you have technical interview and when did you receive info for the f2f interview? Tnx a lot in advance

Anonymous on

Hi, congratulations for the invitation! I am also in a similar situation, I had the technical interview 2 weeks ago, and I have still not received any email. In the profile, the date has been updated but the status is still 'Interview' as before. I would also appreciate if you share (approx) when you did the technical interview and when you received the invitation email to the event in May. Thanks!

Anonymous on

Hi. Thank you. I had the technical skype the 4th April. I received an email notifying that I have been selected for the f2f on the 15th April. My status has been updated on the 8th April to "Interview" as for you. So I think it is a good sign. I am still waiting for the invitation with the schedule. Good luck!

Kti on

Hi, thank you very much for clear answer. I wish you all the best in f2f interview.

Anonymous on

Hi guys, anyone got info from EPO that is selected for f2f interview? Or invitation for with real date for f2f interview? Tnx a lot in advance

Anonymous on

Hello Guys! I'm new, so I'm also invited to the face to face interview scheduled on the 7 mai 2019, anyone else going the same date?

Anonymous on

Hi guys, you who were for recruitment event before, could you share with us how was it looked like? Maybe some questions? And how did they test the knowledge of French and German? Thanks a lot in advance.

Hello! How did the interview go on the 7 Mai 2019 please? Good luck

Anonymous on

Hi guys, you who participated in the recruitment event this week, do u have any changes in the date of your status of application?

No it's still "interview" status, we will get a feedback after 3 to 4 weeks

Anonymous on

Hi all. Does anyone who participated in recruitment event in the Hague last week got any mail from EPO? Thank you in advance.

Anonymous on

Hello yes I did, you also?

Anonymous on

Yes, I got that they did not make a decision and they will give inform me asap. You?

Anonymous on

I also received the email, same content. I noticed that the application status is still in "Interview" but updated today. Good luck!

Anonymous_01 on

I am wondering, does everybody who participated in the recruitment event got this email? Let's share the info with us. Tnx in advance.

Anonymous on

Yeah got the same mail, for which field do you guys applied for?

Ano1 on

Biopharma and Medical use. You guys?

Anonymous on

Hello, I also received the email with the same content! I received a second email, 5 min ago, asking for information and documents in order to complete my application. Did you receive a second email asking for documents too? Thanx

Kti on

I did not receive second email. Which kind of documents and info they asked for? Of course, if you can share with us.

Anonymous on

I just received it, maybe you will too during the day. They want copies of identity document, university degree, educational diploma and work contracts. Anyone else received an email asking for documents? Thanks

Kti on

@Kti: yeah got the 2nd email also. I guess at this stage it doesn't mean anything?

Ano1 on

Guys congratulations to you, I think it's very positive for you. I did not receive the second email, probably they rejected me.

Anonymous on

You who got second mail, for which field did you apply? Thnx a lot

Anonymous on

I don't think it means anything because I received just before the email telling me that the decision was not made yet. I applied for Communication and Technologie Information. What about you?

Kti on

@Kti I understood that you received first email about that the decision was not made yet and after that received the email for sending the documents? I applied for Bio pharma and Medical use. And I have received just an email that decision was not made. Be sure that asking for some kind of the additional documents is good sign. Why would they ask you to submit it them???

Anonymous on

Maybe you're right. Please keep us updated if you receive any email. Good luck for you all!

Kti on

@ KTI When did you get the which was telling that procedure is not yet finished? Thanks.

Anonymous on

I received the first email this morning (9h20) and the second one asking for documents at 12h15. It was not the same person. What about Ano1?

Kti on

Hello, Same here, first mail this morning and the second around noon, and it was not the same person

Ano1 on

Thanks Ano1. Have you also applied for Communication and Technologie Information?

Anonymous on

@Ano1 For which field did you applied?

Anonymous on

Hi guys, would those of you who applied for Pharma and Medical use pretty please help out with my message below. I know it's of no use to you but let's please help each other out here. :) Many thanks! Hi guys, congrats for the invitations! Would some of you maybe be so kind to describe your general professional profile? E.g. length of professional experience, number of scientific papers, h index, number of citations, experience with IP... anything that could help me assess why I did not pass the CV screening? Since they offer no feedback, I have no idea whether it was due to administrative check or I just do not suit them and should not bother trying again. For instance I was not allowed to state my previous salaries because I was contract bound, so I wrote "confidential" - could this have been a deal breaker? I have 10+ years of experience in the field, both industrial and academic, 15+ (not amazing) papers, about 400 citations, h index 7... Should I give up trying or should I try again? Has it happened to anyone here that you passed CV screening after being skipped the first time? Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Anonymous on

@Kti : Did you already submit all your documents? I did and am waiting for their response. Can you please let me know if you get any response? Thanks

Anonymous on

Anyone else got second email for submitting the documents?

Anonymous on

I submitted a part of the documents (I don't have work certificates). I will let you know if I get any response. Please keep me updated too. Good luck

Kti on

@ Kti Did you send documents by email or uploaded via EPO profile application?

Anonymous on

I sent it by email. Is there any chance to know how many Anonymous received the email asking for documents?

Kti on

Ok let's proceed by this : Email asking for documents received : 1 Like in the beginning comments, just increase the number by +1 if you received the mail

Ano1 on

@Ano1 that is good idea. maybe, you can also add the field for which you applied for, because on that way we can realize, did they send second email(for asking for documents) just only in one field. Thanks a lot in advance.

Anonymous on

Email asking for documents received : 2 Field: Communication and Technology information

Kti on

dear all, the second email is for the guys who did not submit their diplomas or conformation about the level of education. It means that they are in the final selection process and they need to confirm their education, work experience etc. People who attached these documents as a separate pdf file in application form did not get the second mail. I think that at this stage, second email does not mean anything. All in all I think that first email which we got is positive sign, because during the recruitment event they told us that results would be known after 3-4 weeks and they sent us the email this week. I see that very positive, in the sense that be patient a little bit more, and we will inform you soon. If they rejected us, I do not see why they would send to us first email. Good luck to everyone and I hope that we will soon become colleges.

Anonymous on

@anonyme, how do you know that? When you apply you must fill your previous jobs, and I did that, and I got the 2nd mail

nightou on

@nightou But did you submit your diplomas, conformations about the level of education etc, like separate file in application form?

@nightou When did you get second mail? Which field did you apply for? Tnx

Anonymous on

I know that after offering us the contract, we need to pass medical checking and after medical checking we need to pass security checking where they check all of our documents.

Anonymous on

Guys can you please change your nickname? If all of you are "anonymous" I don't know if it's the same person I am talking to ^^ So I'll do it like this : anonymous 1 : No I didn't submit any diplomas for the application, so all those who didn't got the mail do that? anonymous 2 : I got it few after the first one on the 14th may, I was interviewed about the electrical field. Did you submit your diplomas and conformations about the level of education etc, when you applied? anonymous 3 : Yeah that's right, a guy told me to not quit my actual job before doing the medical test, actually you do the medical test before starting

nightou on

Hee is anonymous 2:-) I submitted all my diplomas, documents about finishing bachelor, master and PhD.

Anonymous on

@ anonymous 2: But more than that were asked, like the passport or identity card copy. The other ones who did not received the second mail, did you guys already submit some of the documents?

nightou on

@nightou You are absolutely right, but on the diplomas and certificates I have my personal information like date of birth, personal code etc. Guys, I think that you who got 2nd mail, it is a positive sign, but also I believe that we who did not get 2nd mail that it does not mean that they rejected us. Here there 5 or 6 persons who got the first mail and maybe 4 persons who got second. I think both is positive. Do we get information about the offer by email or by phone call? Thanks anonymous 2

Anonymous on

Hi guys, you who sent the documents last week, did you get any answer from HR?

Anonymous on

Hello, Not yet, perhaps @Kti?

nightou on

Hi! I received an answer saying that they will go through my documents and let me know in case of questions.

Kti on

Oh guys, I think that you who got second email are selected. I got only first email and I think it means I am rejected:-( Anyone who also did not receive 2nd email, what do you think? Good luck.

MayEPO on

Hi all. I do not know what to think about the first email. Sometimes when I read it, it sounds very positive, but the end of the mail does not sound optimistic to me. What do u think? Anonymous 2

Anonymous on

Hello all. I belong to those having received the 1st email, and the 2nd with one day difference between them. For those assuming that the did not get selected, don't worry yet. There is a very strong possibility that they haven't got through the applications yet. Another thing is that most probably the position(s) is not offered anymore, so you may also end up to the infamous "pool". For those having received the 2nd email, given the fact that they also ask for possible dates of starting, certificates for the definition of the grade etc., we should consider this as a selection phase too. For example, they might prefer someone who lays low in the job grade (cheaper for them) or someone who is immediately available. So, all in all, do not get disappointed nor excited; let's all wait for another 2-3 weeks and see how it went. Cheers to all and good luck to all!

Pessimistically Positive Guy on

Sear P Positive Guy, Thank you very much for your supportive massage. I hope we will soon know results. Cheers and good luck to all.

Anonymous 2 on

Any news? Thanks a lot

MayEPO on

Still no news. They told that the feedback would be received in 3-4 weeks. That means either this week or the next one. It would also expect a possible delay (maybe)... Good luck!

Anonymous 3 on

Hello again . Any of you received the compensation for the interview travel expenses ?

@P. Positive Guy : yes me yesterday

@ P Positive Guy: yes, compensation received two days ago

Anonymous 3 on

@P. Positive: I also received the compensation for the travel expenses.

Guys the waiting so loong, anyone else keep checking email every 5min ? haha

nightou on

I am checking my e-mail and also status of application every 10 minutes:-)

MayEPO on

I think that before the end of next week will not get any answer. Please, if you get any answer, call, indications, let us know. Also, I think that positive outcome is coming firstly as phone call. Good luck to everyone.

MayEPO on

Are you sure about the phone call? Until now they never called me, I think we will get an email response, or, I don't remember where I read, that they also send the proposition of the contract by post

nightou on

I have also read that they send the proposition of the contract by post. I read it on their website. But I think that they will inform us (call or email) before sending the contract. OMG, this sounds like we were elected:-)

MayEPO on

Hi guys! Just discovered this "forum" ^^ I was in the selection event in Munich and belong to the category of 1st and 2nd emails received. Those who haven't yet received the second email, any updates on that? I genuinely think that it is not relevant to the procedure but I'm trying to figure out their way of thinking. Regards!

EPO_Expectant on

Hi guys, I think that we who were for recruitment event in The Hague, that we can expect results from next Monday. Cheers and good luck.

MayEPO on

Hello all, Next monday it will be only 2 weeks, I think the results will be given after 3 weeks

nightou on

Hi nightou, It depends how it is calculated:-) For the people, who had interview in the Hague, starting from next Monday, it is exactly 21 days after the f2f interview.

MayEPO on

Oh my bad, you are right. Actually I was also interviewed in the Hague , and I was thinking it's been only 2 weeks. Next week it's the 3rd week Let's hope for the best :)

nightou on

Guys, any news? Did you check your profile. In mine is status Interview from 14 of May. Any updating the date? Thanks a lot and fingers crossed.

MayEPO on

Hello, I am coming with some good/bad news. I received an email asking if they can call to give me an update about my status one hour ago. I just received the call from Talent Acquisition. The good news is that I was successful and that I am suitable for the position. The bad news is that they are performing an internal balance, which means they are trying to see if some intern persons can/want to fill the position. Therefore, they cannot offer me anything till the end of this internal balancing (as they call it), which means till the end of July! I don't really understand their procedure... What about you? Any news?

Kti on

Hello Kti, Sorry about what happened, but you still have all your chances, so finger crossed. Btw at what time did you get the email?

nightou on

Kti, I see it as good news rather than bad ones. From my perspective it just means you have to wait a little longer, but you've passed the recruitment procedure! So congratulations are in order :)

EPO_Expectant on

Congratulations Kti. I hope that you will get the job. For the rest, fingers crossed. and also, keep us informed when you get any info (email, call etc.)

MayEPO on

Hello Kti. First of all, congratulations for the results. Although it does not make sense for any of us I think that eventually you will be selected and join the EPO. Just a question. Which recruitment event did you attend? The one in Hague or that one in Munich? Regards

Pessimistically Positive Guy on

@nightou: Yes I still have my chances but I have to accept/refuse an offer about assistant professor at a University (permanent position) before 13th of June. If I accept this position and I refuse it after the 13th of June, the University will loose this position because it is a national application. So the delay is very annoying for me... @EPO_Expectant: Thank you for your congratulations. @ALL: This balance exercice is applied only for my field: Information and Communication Technology, that is what they told me. So you all have a chance and maybe you will get a real offer!! Good luck!

Kti on

Thank you everybody, even if it does not feel like a good news for me! @MayEPO: I will keep you informed! @Pessimistically Positive Guy: I attended the recruitment in the Hague

Daily check... Any news?

EPO_Expectant on

Nope, just be patient :) @Kti Congratulations!

Anonymous3 on

Guys, any news today?

Anonymous on

I guess we'll have to wait till the next week ^^

I think so.

Any news guys, today?

Anonymous on

No, nothing yet and you?

nightou on

Hi guys, I think to wait 1 or 2 days and send them an email and ask for outcome?

Anonymous on

@anonymus The 4th week will include the next Friday, so I would give them some room of time until beginning of the next week before sending any email. Thanks and good luck to all!

Anonymous 3 on

For me, not even a change on the application date since the day of the interview. Same for you people?

EPO_Expectant on

I do not fully understand what you mentioned. My status date was changed 14 of May, but the status is the same "Interview".

Anonymous on

That's it, same here, the date remains the same

EPO_Expectant on

Has anyone applied for Measurement&Optics?

Crt on

Hi guys, I am fully impatient. I cannot wait until next week and I on the edge to write them. How about you?

Anonymous on

@Crt yes! Me. For a position in Munich. I went to the event in Munich on the 15th of May. You?

Pessimistically Positive Guy on

@Pessimistically Positive Guy yes I went to the f2f interview on 14th of May. Have you received any infos? Thx!

Crt on

@Crt Nope. Nothing yet. I suppose you neither...? Let's hope for the best. Good luck to you!

Pessimistically Positive Guy on

No unfortunately not! I wish all the best to you, too :)

Any news on your side?

Any news on your side?

Ctr on

Not yet. Nothing. You ctr?

Nothing yet.

Ctr on

I am wondering, maybe they informed selected guys and others will be informed later. Because Kti was informed 10 days ago:-(

Anonymous on

Good point. From my side, I would not expect any communication today...

Anonymous on

I don‘t think so because I contacted them on 29th May and they said that the decision has not been made yet and it will take 2 weeks more.

Ctr on

@ctr you applied for Munich and it's normal that they told you that results will be known in 2 weeks, because when you asked just 2 weeks was passed. For the Hague I think results are known.

Anonymous on

@Anonymous ok I understand. Sorry for the confusion.

Ctr on

@Anonymous It could be that Hague results are already known, but yet nobody here said they've been contacted with an offer, that's weird, I am the opinion they haven't contacted any candidates (except Kti) so far

EPO_Expectant on

@cti to whom you wrote an email?

Anonymous on

I am wondering if I write them today or next week?

Guys who applied for the Hague, any news? Please share:-) MayEPO

Anonymous on

No news at this moment. I think we will have to wait until next week. For sure, I will share if I receive any update

HagueApplicant on

Guys, fingers crossed for everyone. Let's hope we will get results this week. Please keep us updated. Cheers MayEpo

Anonymous on

Hey guys, Anyone wrote any mail to EPO?

@Simon May I ask you for which technical field have you applied for? Thanks

Regina on

@Simon Hi, Munich or the Hague? I am waiting for the Hague but it will take a bit longer (I hope that if I get rejected the aswer will be quick...)

Anonymous on

I applied in the ICT field in the Hague. What about you?

Simon on

@simon same... but there are so many positions... I really hope we will get soon the answer, I am getting stressed...

Anonymous on

@simon Hi again, since we are both waiting... please write as soon as you will get the answer, Inwillndo the same (positive or negative). thanks!

Anonymous on

sure, dear anonymous friend! ;-) And if we're both positive, we'll grab a coffee in The Hague! (or champagne!)

Simon on

@ Simon Ahahahah, yes! In case we will celebrate together. I vote for the champagne, but only after the medical examination ;-) The Anonymous friend

Agree. Looks bad...

Anonymous on

A lot of allegations and quotes from anonymous sources... I've learnt to be very cautious with those kinds of conspiracy blogs. It’s true that the EPO went through a major social crisis which seems settled now and the current president will be replaced in 2018. Moreover, new comers are trained for 2 years before being autonomous. It wouldn’t make any sense to hire them for a short period of time. It would be money wasting while the EPO tries to reduce its expenses as much as possible. Let’s just wait the answer and see what they offer (in the best case, for me it’ll be a 3 years contract anyway as I only speak 2 of the languages)