Deutsche Bank Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Deutsche Bank Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at Deutsche Bank

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Deutsche Bank (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

I had a first round phone screen without it being scheduled in advance - called me by surprise.
I attended the Superday a few weeks later, which was 5 round of interviews. One was a 2-on-1 with two analysts. Then an interview with an associate, then a VP, then an MD, then another analyst. Had 2 or 3 brain teasers and a couple hard technicals but mostly basic stuff.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through a DCF   1 Answer
  • Sum the numbers 1-100 without a calculator and show me how you did it   Answer Question
  • If you had two acquisitions identical in every way except one had more revenue synergies and one was based on more cost synergies, which modeled price is more conservative?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Deutsche Bank

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Deutsche Bank (New York, NY).

Interview

They were very friendly and helpful throughout the interview process. Compared to other banks I felt as if they were trying to get to know who I was which is why I ultimately turned down my offers to other banks.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Deutsche Bank (New York, NY).

Interview

I interviewed for the dbAchieve program for the corporate finance (IB) divisiom. I had a 2:1 for first round, then 2 1:1 for the second round, and they were both behavioral. Heard back 3 days later by phone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Deutsche Bank (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

I networked with alumni at the firm to gain a first round interview, and they let me know how the interview was expected to go. The interviews ended up having many of the same questions my contacts expected.

Interview was 2 days in the city. First day one interview with lower level analysts/associates, split between technical and fit. Second day two interviews with Directors and MDs mostly fit and behavioral.

The first day was much more relaxed and personal in conversation than the second. The second round was more to hammer out exactly why I was interested in the firm and investment banking and how my background demonstrated that. The interviews differed substantially depending on the style of the interviewers and the questions often pertained specifically to my background.

Application

Interview

The night before the interview, I was invited to dinner in order to meet some of the people who would be interviewing me the following day. The meal was nice, but the people from the bank were very awkward. This was to be my first interview in my life, so this awkward dinner was not helpful to my mindset.

In the interview, the first question I was asked by the interviewer was, "What questions do you have for me?" The rest of the interview was based on those initial questions. Even though I was applying for a summer analyst position (where compensation is set and pro-rated for the limited summer months that I would be spending at the firm), the interviewer asked me why I was not curious about compensation. I had been told by peers before the interview that to ask about compensation was considered taboo, so I was a bit surprised.

I am a history major, and my resume reflected this fact, so I was not asked anything too technical, such as how to balance an income statement or value a company using Discounted Cash Flow analysis, or anything like that. Some other questions that I was asked:

(1) "What do you think the largest problem facing the world economy is over the next 20 years and why? How about the US economy?"
    (2) "What is one type of product that you think will be obsolete in the near future?"
    (3) "If you own a start-up internet company and a larger company offered to buy you, what would your response be to that larger company?"

Interview Questions

• Why haven't you asked me about compensation yet?   1 Answer
    • What do you think the largest problem facing the world economy going forth over the next 20 years and why? How about the US economy?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Deutsche Bank (New York, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

Got the interview through a family connection. Went to New York for the interview, just a short behavioral. I think I did fine but was generally under-qualified for the position and did not blow anyone away.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Deutsche Bank (New York, NY) in November 2018.

Interview

One round of phone interviews, which was primarily behavioral with a few technical elements , and then a superday in NYC that consisted of 2 interviews with MDs. Each interview lasted half an hour, and was also primarily behavioral with conceptual technical questions.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you made a mistake at work without anyone realizing, and how did you respond?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

Standard questions, walk me through a DCF, behavioral questions, why do you want to do banking. Nothing out of the ordinary. In a hiring freeze, so no positions offered.

Anonymous Employee in Notre Dame, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Deutsche Bank (Notre Dame, IN) in November 2014.

Interview

It was a campus interview. It consisted of two days of interviewing. The first day was one inteview- a half behavioral half technical invterview with a VP from NY. The second day consisted of two half hour back to back interviews. One was very technical. The other one was solely behavioral.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Deutsche Bank (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Got invited to super day about a week after deadlines ended. 2 on 1 interview with two VPs, friendly atmosphere. Heavily technical, not only the basic technicals but the rationale and reasoning behind why things are down the way they are. Pressure test focused, got pushed right at the start.

Interview Questions

• What are the 3 ways to value a company? What is the rationale behind each method? Please rank the 3 methods in order of valuation and explain why   Answer Question