Development Alternatives Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 29, 2017

2.7

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Development Alternatives (Bethesda, MD) in April 2017.

Interview

About 3 weeks after I applied I had a 30 minute phone Interview. They primarily asked about my previous experience in communications work, asking specific questions based on my resume. They also asked why I wanted to work for this specific project. Within a few days I was contacted to schedule an in-person interview and writing test. I went to the office and they asked more questions about my previous experiences. Then, the writing test was to synthesize and USAID report.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time at a past job where you had ideas for improvement and were unable to move forward.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Development Alternatives (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

Questionnaire sent to the candidate as initial screening. First round in-person interview: interviewed by one staff member. Second round in-person interview: 2 panel interviews followed by 1 hour writing test.

Interview Questions

• In the writing test - write a sample proposal to USAID   1 Answer

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Development Alternatives (Bethesda, MD) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received an e-mail from a recruiter to schedule the in-person interview. I interviewed with three people. They didn't have too many formal questions prepared. The interview was more conversational, which I appreciated. I was contacted with a notice of non-selection from the recruiter a little over a month after my interview. Although I wasn't offered the position, the recruiter was responsive from the beginning of the process, and the panel was informative and laid back. Good experience all in all.

Interview Questions

• -How do you like to be managed.

-What keeps you motivated/what motivates you on a daily basis.

-Describe a time you made a mistake and what you learned from it.   Answer Question

Contract Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Development Alternatives.

Interview

the interview was a two process step including one with contracts team and one with finance and program. My first interview was via Skype because I was out of country when I applied for the job.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions were mainly about contractual rules, regulations, and type of contracts.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

The process was pretty standard - meeting with HR and members of the sector team. Also depending on the position, there was a writing and computer test. References were required.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Development Alternatives.

Interview

A friend set me up with the job. After that I had a 30 minute interview with the person who I would be assisting. The job ended up being the person's assistant not assisting in any project management.

Project Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Development Alternatives (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

After a questionnaire to be filled out at home, I had an interview with a panel of project managers and project associate. There were questions from each, focusing on my skills and how I could assist DAI in their projects. The questions were all pretty open ended, as well as a few that were questions from my resume about training and projects I'd been a part of.
    It was helpful to have a few questions in mind at the end of the interview when they asked "Do you have any questions for US?"

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Development Alternatives (Bethesda, MD) in April 2015.

Interview

Informal. More like a conversation. No "trap" questions. Asked how I would achieve each of the jobs main objectives. Had a lot of time to ask questions and was happy I had prepared some ahead of time and typed them. They were impressed to see my typewritten list.

Interview Questions

• Tell us of a conflict situation in your work and how you dealt with it   1 Answer
    • Tell us about yourself   1 Answer

Project Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Development Alternatives (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

Relatively smooth interview process on the company's end with quick turn over on communication. I was impressed at the speed and efficiency of the process. Standard online application, screening call, and 2 rounds of interviews.

Interview Questions

• What is your understanding of this position? Tell us about your experience at x. Tell us about yourself.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Development Alternatives.

Interview

I got through two rounds of interviews with DAI. While I was ultimately not selected I am happy with the outcome because my final impression of the company is that they are disorganized and exhibit poor business practices. Had I received a job offer by the end, I likely would have turned it down as a result.

My first interview with DAI actually went very well and I left feeling excited about the opportunity and the company. Unfortunately from then on everything went downhill. It began about a week later with the email I received congratulating me for making it to the second round interview. The email began: “It was a please speaking with you regarding the [Position/Title] opportunity here with DAI.” Clearly this was a form letter and the Senior Corporate Recruitment Manager did not bother to fill in the actual position name; this did not inspire my confidence. The email also requested I bring a photo ID when I arrived at the second interview, even though I had not needed one the first time. This seemed a little confusing and as it turned out I did not actually need an ID.

When I arrived for the second interview about a week after receiving the email I found the atmosphere to be very chaotic. The person I was supposed to meet with initially was too busy and so I was brought into an impromptu meeting with someone I had spoken to in my first interview. They seemed unprepared and somewhat disengaged. I was then shuffled into another hasty meeting with someone I had also previously met who also seemed unprepared and confused. Finally I met with the person I had planned to meet initially. Admittedly by this time my enthusiasm has dropped somewhat, however we had what I thought was a good discussion and after repeated apologies about how hectic things were from the recruitment manager I was told I would hear more about my status soon.

About a week after my second interview I received another email informing me I was one of the top candidates. The email included several release forms for a background check and was followed by a link where I had to fill in contact information for five professional references that could provide me a recommendation. I was also asked to send a copy of my most recent pay stub to verify my current salary. My references all received emails and graciously took the time to answer all the questions it asked. I also took the time to fill out the release forms. About two weeks later I received a call informing me they had decided to go with another candidate.

For both my in-person interviews DAI seemed to struggle finding times, indicating their managers are bad at time management. I had to take off two days from my current job to attend these interviews and spent many hours more filling out forms as part of the process, ultimately I feel as though much of this time was wasted due to their process involving too many unnecessary steps. Most of my second interview involved meeting with two people I had already spoken to extensively in my first interview and they seemed to struggle with finding new questions to ask. Finally, I found it unprofessional that they would contact my references and ask me to fill out release forms before they had selected me as the final candidate. As a result of this my current employer is now aware I am looking for other employment which puts me in a bad position. Based on my experience, I would not recommend DAI to others.

Interview Questions

• No one particular question stands out as being difficult. In my experience the difficulty was more in how disorganized the interview process was.   Answer Question