Digital Reasoning Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Digital Reasoning Interview Questions

Interviews at Digital Reasoning

3.1

Web Developer Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Digital Reasoning.

Interview

Phone screen, take home exam on hacker rank, two separate video interviews with senior team members, then a 4+ hour in person interview with various members of the team.

Everything was going fairly well till the in person interview. I had an early morning interview and as soon as I walked in the door they gave me a 45 minute live code challenge in front of two senior devs. There were no warm up questions or anything. And the two devs were rude: they chatted the whole time while seated right in front of me! So inconsiderate!

Subsequent interviews with the team were straight forward and went okay till the second to final round with one of their senior devs. He was condescending and seemed more interested in whether I knew X computer science concept or web development trivia question than what actual practical experience I have. I have a GitHub profile full of personal projects and a years long track record of successfully executed projects at my current company. I even was a contributor to one of the Digital Reasoning’s open source projects. He clearly didn’t give two craps about any of that work.

When I got the rejection notice, I tried following up with an email to the HR point of contact to ask how I could improve. I got no response. For shame Digital Reasoning! I expected better of you! You could at least give your candidates who have invested hours of prep work and PTO the courtesy of sharing some tips for what they could do better in next time! I gibes me the impression that this company is a code mill and that it is not too interested in growing talent.

Overall, Digital Reasoning treats prospective developers like garbage and they don’t seem interested in the people they’re interviewing. I’d recommend skipping this place if you’re considering interviewing here. Don’t waste your time.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you had to reduce a file size from 1mb?   Answer Question

Services Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Digital Reasoning in August 2015.

Interview

Discussion with the hiring manager followed by a programming assignment, then an in-person interview with a group panel and then talking with human resources to make an offer. It was a relatively speedy process

Interview Questions

• They asked questions about the programming assignment. An assignment on the white board and a bunch of other technical questions.   Answer Question

Services Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Digital Reasoning (Nashville, TN) in December 2015.

Interview

Applied online. After not getting any answer for 1.5 months I've contacted them through personal network. Got scheduled an informal discussion with a potential hiring manager, After yet another 3 weeks passed, managed to meet him personally. During our 1 hour meeting it was mostly him who did the talking, there weren't many questions asked (we could've done this via the phone as well). In the end I expressed my interest in another position, so I got handed over to the HR person to schedule a screening with another manager.
    Did my phone screening with this manager, which went well (although this person also had the urge to talk in great length about the company, instead of asking meaningful questions). In the 2nd phase I got a home assignment (coding), which took roughly a weekend to complete. I submitted it and got a response that they would like to move to the next phase (a personal interview in NYC). When I've asked about organizing the trip, they added that first I should talk to a senior manager (VP level).
    The VP level manager was clearly coming to the phone call with little interest and with the intention to axe me. He asked 4-5 simple screening questions, which could've been asked right from the beginning. After this call they disappeared and I had to contact them yet another time to get a mail that don't want to move forward.

This company clearly can't get their hiring process together and (at least some) of the managers have an ego problem.

Interview Questions

• Home coding assignment. General screening questions related to previous experience (non technical)   Answer Question

Digital Reasoning Response

Feb 11, 2016 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are sorry that your interview experience with Digital Reasoning was not more positive and that you felt that your time was not... More

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Digital Reasoning (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for a brief phone interview about a month later which only took about 15 minutes. I was then contacted for an in-person interview a few days later to meet with a VP, and then told to come back for another interview the week after to interview with yet another VP. I was then contacted by the HR manager equivalent, and told I was a finalist and asked to send references in which I promptly did. None of my references were ever contacted, and I never got another update from that point on even after several emails to them. No response at all. It's been almost 2 months now, still with no update, so I gave up and was offered a great job elsewhere in the meantime, as most people don't want to wait over 2 months for an offer. I never really understood what happened which is a shame, because the experience seemed very positive and went very smoothly up until the 2 month stall.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Digital Reasoning (Franklin, TN).

Interview

I submitted my resume online and was contact within a couple of weeks for a phone interview. The phone interview was no more than 30 minutes and focused on what I was looking for and what was important to me. I was contacted a few days later to have a one on one interview with the hiring supervisor. The focus in this interview was to give me an idea of what I would be doing and establish the interests of both parties.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for? Why are you choosing to leave your current position?   Answer Question

Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Digital Reasoning (Nashville, TN) in October 2013.

Interview

First I was called for an Interview with HR person for a half hour where he described the company. This was followed up by another phone interview a week later with a tech lead person. A few days later they sent a technical exercise (to build a web server from scratch with python).

Interview Questions

• HR interviews was mostly discussion about the company and my experience. Technical person was lots of specific questions about specific libraries or other facts.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Digital Reasoning (New York, NY) in October 2018.

Interview

Two video conferences. (With only one scheduled ahead of time) The first one consisted of going over various architecture questions and some back and forth about the company.

The second involved a one hour testing session about one particular part of development that albeit is common, is a bit of an archaic skill to quiz on.

It turned out that this particular skill was all they cared about. The job description given to me by the recruiter was the typical laundry list of everything under the sun, however the skill being tested was not listed and obviously not mentioned as a must have expertise in.

I'm not sure who dropped the ball here (recruiter or employer) but regardless this turned out to be a colossal waste of time.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Digital Reasoning (Franklin, TN).

Interview

I applied online. It took several weeks to get a reply. I did a brief phone interview with an HR representative, then traveled to the Franklin, Tennessee office for an in-person interview. At the in-person interview I spoke with someone from HR, my potential manager, and three technical interviewers. After this, I had another phone interview with an executive from the New York office. I received an offer soon after this and I accepted it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about some recent projects that you have worked on.   Answer Question

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Digital Reasoning (Franklin, TN) in September 2017.

Interview

HR Interview phone screening
    Take Home Assignment to write Test Cases
    3 hour in-person interview

Overall the interview was not very hard, I interview with two people at a time 4 different times during the 3 hour interview.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Digital Reasoning (Franklin, TN) in April 2012.

Interview

Applied thru LinkedIn and after about 1.5 months received an email from the HR manager to schedule an initial phone screening with the main research person. After almost an hour long phone call, I was informed another person will be doing phone interview with me. I had to send a reminder after a week for the 2nd round interview. For the 2nd round, again the call lasted for about an hour. It was with a person who had recently graduated from grad school. Was grilled for another hour and said we will be in touch. Again, I had to send a reminder to them after 1 week to figure out whether they wanted to go ahead or not. Finally after doing multiple email exchange to schedule and re-schedule interviews, I was invited for an all day on-site interview at their Franklin HQ. When I asked for details about the interview process, I was told it will involve White Board style interview and some one to one.

The HQ is a small facility with about 20 people. The interview process was not very organized and at times they were trying to work out who is going to talk to you next. The first round was with the same person who interviewed me during first round of phone interview. He seemed friendly and genuinely interested in the work I was doing. While walking towards his office, he openly asked a group of people if anyone wanted to take a stab? One of them showed up and started grilling me with Google like puzzles. Ones he got done with that, he grilled me with Java questions.

Next, they decided to throw a curve ball and told me they want me to give a presentation about my research work. I was not opposed to doing it, but was not prepared for it either. I did the best I could in 30 minutes. For some reason one person in the panel (2nd round interviewer) kept trying to talk to me about stuff which was not related to what I do and want to do. Eventually other people in the panel had to ask him to backoff. Then they took me out for lunch. It is the only job interview where I was offered Chipotle or Subway for lunch :-)

After lunch it was another round with 3 people. Same person who was giving hard time during the talk. He was just fresh out of grad school with his degree and I believe was really trying to show off and put me down. There was couple of other people with him and they were toeing his line as well. They wanted to know specifically how I would use a specific algorithm (I do not use it, because ... Surprise! ...I do not work in that field). It was not an interview but pretty much rubbing the fact that I did PhD in this area, you did not.

After 2-3 more rounds of group interviews which were more friendly, they finally made me talk to the HR who asked basic stuff about my location and willingness to re-locate.

Finally I was told they were done and will need about a month or more to get back to me. After about 5-6 weeks they sent me an email saying I was not selected.

Bottom line is, their interview process is not very organized. People in the team seems to have ego issues and love to show off.

Interview Questions

• We just realized we did not ask you to prepare a talk, but still do it.   Answer Question