DigitalGlobe Interview Questions | Glassdoor

DigitalGlobe Interview Questions

Updated Apr 30, 2017

2.9

Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DigitalGlobe in December 2016.

Interview

1 hour phone interview with technical and teamwork related questions. it was a typical interview process without face to face sit down. be prepared for panel type interview rather than 1:1 interview

Interview Questions

• to describe a difficult time i had with a coworker outside of the work environment   Answer Question

Senior Geospatial Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westminster, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at DigitalGlobe (Westminster, CO) in July 2016.

Interview

The Google Hangouts technical interview was split into three distinct sections, each having 30 minutes of time allocated.

The first section was with two potential future team members, which as far as I could tell were not software developers. One of them was a seasoned DevOps professional, and the other individual had a related role that I currently can't recall. There were some questions about Amazon web services, infrastructure automation with Chef, and general questions about my experience with ArcGIS Server, arcpy, and related technologies. Towards the end, I got the typical "Do you have any questions for us?". I asked them a question about the upcoming launch of a satellite, and remarked that the wikipedia page for their organization was pretty up-to-date. This section was pleasant overall, and the conversation had a natural flow.

The second interview was with a panel of three software developers that were on a team other than those that I would be potentially working with directly. There was a young Python developer, and two older senior-level developers. One of the senior developers was a C++ developer, and the other must have been primarily a C#/.NET developer. This section started off a bit discordant, because it seemed that each individual required a large personal space for themselves. This meant that the laptop/webcam that they were using needed to be passed around. Eventually they gave up on passing the laptop/webcam around and it centered on the wall. I only had partial view of one person while each person took turns talking over one another in the room. The Python developer asked some very basic questions about Python programming which I felt good about, and had some high-level questions about some of the projects that I have worked on. One of the questions was about Celery, and he asked "What does that look like?" and I did my best to explain my implementation in code, third-party software, and hardware infrastructure. I provided a link to a source code repository which was probably not viewed. In hindsight, it would have been much better to share my screen and show the code and use the visualizations that I had handy, but I think that the verbal descriptions were adequate. The C++ developer had very little to say and was generally silent. He asked some questions about a few projects on my resume, and I think he also asked me a general question about inheritance in OOP. The most rigorous questions came from the third guy who had a very thick accent. I'm not sure if he was on the list of names that I was provided because when he said his name it didn't sound like any of the names I had familiarized myself with. His questions were focused on .NET and SQL Server. I know that I botched one of the technical SQL questions, which was "Can you describe the difference between a stored procedure and a user defined function?". It has been seven years since I wrote a user defined function, and I made the mistake of talking about a project where I custom wrote a .NET CLR user-defined function that I thought he was referring to. He was actually just generally quizzing me on SQL and I don't think that I provided the answer he was looking for. He also asked a C# question along the lines of "Can you tell me the difference between a class and an interface?". I think that I provided a satisfactory answer to this question and the remaining others, but I often had to ask him to repeat his questions because I really could barely make out what he was saying. This section was pretty bad, but mostly because it took so long to get through a little bit of material due to disorganization and a general lack of direction. I was really disappointed because we didn't speak about any relevant GIS software development topics or even the main bullet points on the job description.

For the third and final section, I felt good. I had already spoken to the two individuals before, and they mostly reiterated questions that they had asked on the phone in a previous interview. These questions related to my thoughts on agile software development methodologies. They were glad to hear that I am a big fan. They also asked me a question along the lines of "How would you describe yourself to another person in one or two sentences?". For this I think there really is no wrong answer, but I think they like collaborative individuals that can display humility. I asked them questions about the office infrastructure, and they talked enthusiastically about the cafeteria, the games available (ping-pong, shuffleboard, etc), and that there was a gym and shower. They also asked me if I was pursuing any other positions. I told them that this position is my primary pursuit, but there are some other positions that I will be pursuing in August if I am not awarded a position with DigitalGlobe. They finished by telling me that they may ask for references if the team decides to move forward, and I told them that I had references ready to send.

Interview Questions

• What does [Celery] look like?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me the difference between a class and an interface?   Answer Question
    • Can you describe the difference between a stored procedure and a user defined function?   Answer Question
    • How would you describe yourself to another person in one or two sentences?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at DigitalGlobe.

Interview

In-person interview, interviewed individually by three different team members, got an offer later thar day. Questions mostly centered on my past projects and asking how how would rate my fluency in various skills on my resume.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years? Ten years?   Answer Question
    • Very few technical questions, mostly questions about past projects and experiences.   Answer Question

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DigitalGlobe (Longmont, CO).

Interview

Very friendly recruiting process and very professional. My references even complimented on the professionalism of the recruiter's questions. Interviewed with my future supervisor, department head and a former department employee. Because of the nature of the business the interview felt very stuffy and that everything wasn't being disclosed about the position. In hindsight there were a lot of red flags about the position that were mentioned in the interview that I ignored.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions on my past experience and working with others. A lot of focus was put on working with difficult people.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little room for negotiation - took a pay cut When I accepted the offer

TSOC Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DigitalGlobe (Longmont, CO) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied thru recruiter on Thursday, interviewed on Monday, job offer on Tuesday. Very nice interviewers, made me feel at ease, and wanted to work with these people. They were all very proud of the company, and I wanted to be a part of that.

Interview Questions

• Name your top 10 linux commands   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, set rate.

Delivery Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longmont, CO

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at DigitalGlobe (Longmont, CO) in March 2016.

Interview

20 minute one-on-one interviews, each with a different person. Total time was over 2 hours. Some asked specific technical questions (describe a 3-table join in SQL), while others had more general questions. I get the impression that I did not give satisfactory answers to the division head, since he repeated a couple of questions, and later the staffing agency said DG had said I had communication problems.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when your thinking saved a customer thousands of dollars.   2 Answers

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at DigitalGlobe.

Interview

After applying to the company, I was contacted by someone in talent acquisition who requested a phone interview with the manager of the position I applied to. Within a few days I received a pre-arranged call from the manager who was extremely informative and very chatty regarding the position I applied to. More time passed than that which I was told would before I was contacted but I did receive an offer and the process after that was quick.

Interview Questions

• What would I rank my geospatial skills at on a scale of 1 to 10?   Answer Question

Sales Enablement Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at DigitalGlobe.

Interview

The lag time between initial contact, interviews and follow up was excessive. I had to beg for feedback and follow up for next steps every step of the way. Seemed very disorganized and definitely not respectful of the candidates' time.

Solution Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DigitalGlobe (Denver, CO) in September 2015.

Interview

The HR staff was completely disorganized. They were 2 hours late for our scheduled screening call, were unable to answer most of my questions, and made me go through 3 or 4 different staff before my interview.

The only time that the hiring manager and the other people interviewing me were willing to meet was in the middle of a weekday, so I had to take an entire afternoon off from my existing job just to apply for this one.

When I finally interviewed, it became abundantly clear to me that none of the people involved really knew what they were looking for. The questions were incredibly broad and odd and had no technical aspects to them, which is crutially important to being an SE. The interview process was unnecessarily lengthy: 2.5 hours, 30 minutes with 5 different people/groups of people, several of whom were not directly related to the job.

The final interviewer apparently decided not to show up and HR decided to completely ignore my requests to reschedule. Immediately afterwards they laid off hundreds of employees. Not hard to imagine why.

Overall completely unprofessional and distasteful experience.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DigitalGlobe (Longmont, CO) in July 2015.

Interview

Questions about practical skills, and educational back ground just putting in words because you say I have to complete a 30 word min but I don't want to this is stupid