Dillard's Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

2.3

54 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Crestview Hills, KY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dillard's (Crestview Hills, KY).

Interview

Takes 3 interviews to get you through, they keep you waiting for a call and never call you to see if you don't get the job! They make it seem like you're going to get hired but all they do is waste your time when you could be out searching for a different job!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gilbert, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dillard's (Gilbert, AZ) in July 2017.

Interview

Well first let me say that the employer was super condescending to me. The first thing she said was "Word of advice, Dress for an interview," in literally the most condescending tone one could possibly hear. Please. Save your time and apply elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   1 Answer
    • Why did you choose Dillards?   1 Answer
    • What makes you more valuable than anyone else?   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spartanburg, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dillard's (Spartanburg, SC).

Interview

Very brief was told I had too much experience. There's no such thing in my opinion. The employee that referred me kept asking if they were going to hire me they kept giving the runaround. When they looked at my application and then called me I was told I would be perfect., but I guess things change.

Interview Questions

• Previous employment   1 Answer
    • How well do I work with the public.   1 Answer

Managemet Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canyon, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Dillard's (Canyon, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

The interviewer was not relatable pretty much seemed to just want to get through all the questions.
    The information provided about Dillards work enviroment and culture after seemes really vague which did not gave much interest in the overall culture.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about fashion and Dillards? Do you know any exclusive brands?   1 Answer

Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Dillard's (Tallahassee, FL).

Interview

This company will not hire any black people in management, it doesn't matter how well qualified you are, particularly the one in Tallahassee,fl the process took about two weeks just to be told "I'll keep your application in mind

IT Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dillard's (Little Rock, AR).

Interview

You interview with members of the current teams. They talk about your experience and how you would fit into the team. You also travel to the distribution center in Maumelle.

They paid for travel and hotel.

Shoe Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Dillard's (Columbia, MO) in September 2016.

Interview

I got called from a recruiter and they asked me if i was intereted and i said, so we set up a day when i could come in. I went in for the interview and it went well and filled out an application. A couple of days later i got called back for another interview and it was ok. But after that interview i never received a call about the job.

E Commerce Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Dillard's (Little Rock, AR) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied on line and got a pone interview and then they sent me E mail and I met with two managers in the office. One of the manager calls me and said she will call me in the morning. I did not get the job because they promoted within and he interview went great but its the policy to promote with in the company and will keep resume on file.

Interview Questions

• What is your goal for 5 years   1 Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawton, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Dillard's (Lawton, OK) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online from Indeed.com and the next day I got a phone call from a woman who seemed happy to invite me to an interview a few days after. I gladly accepted, I mean, $12 an hour? Of course! Then I decided to do some research. $12 an hour for a sales associate gig is kind of too good to be true, and I was right. From this very website I saw the darker side of Dillard's, one with unreasonable sales quotas, shady business practices, and a disorganized store management.

So, the interview day comes along and I get a haircut and wear a nice polo and jeans. I walk into the store and ask one of the associates that I have an interview, and Red Flag 1 is raised. The associate, who seemed like a nice woman, immediately soured and pointed vaguely in the direction of the customer service area. Ok, maybe she was having a bad day, but from what I have read, competition in Dillard's is seen with irritation. I go to the desk and the woman behind the desk was very nice the entire time. I tell her what I'm there for and she pages the manager that I would be interviewed by. Then she pages them again. Red Flag 2 is raised. My interview was set for 3:00pm, I showed up at 2:55pm because I try to be professional. It isn't until 3:15pm that the manager arrives. At first she seems nice, if a little irritated looking. The first thing I notice is that this woman is not the same who called me and set up the interview. This isn't too odd, but it will come into play later.

She grabs my paperwork from behind the desk and asks if my name is Kent and I tell her that it isn't, my name is Marcus. She asks who Kent is and I tell her that Kent is my middle name, and she irritably says "well why didn't you say so?" Whatever. She leads to me to her office and WOW is it disorganized. There is stuff everywhere, not all of it is even related to her job. So Red Flag 3 is raised based on the disorganization of both her paperwork and her office.

I won't type word by word what she said, but there were some keypoints in this interview.
    1. She complained about my lack of experience, despite the fact that I have nearly a year of retail work.
    2.She confusingly complained about my age, and that I might not be able to handle the workload. I'm 19 years old, and in decent shape. Why wouldn't I be able to handle a basic retail job? I have before.
    3. She got angry at the fact that I didn't dress "professionally" to the interview. This was resolved, but apparently I was supposed to wear a suit to the interview, something I was not informed of when I was called. Then, when I told her that I didn't have a problem dressing that way, she had the gall to assume I didn't have the type of clothes needed, and when I told her I did, she clearly didn't believe me.

All in all, it was the worst interview I've ever had. The interviewer was unprofessional, demeaning, and downright insulting. Now, I might hear some readers say "Get used to it, this is the real world." The fact that it was a bad interview doesn't anger me. What angers me is that someone at her store called me to set up this interview. Someone looked at my application, deemed that I was qualified, and called me to have me come in. Someone thought that I had the necessary requirements for this job, but the woman who interviewed me clearly was not communicated this fact. All this does for me is prove that Dillard's is the disorganized mess that so many Glassdoor patrons have said it is.

Interview Questions

• "What skills do you have that you think may be helpful for this job?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Panama City, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dillard's (Panama City, FL) in June 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was less than a week , They called me 2 days after submitted application . I had 2 interviews . First one with a department Manager and another with the Store Manager.