Dillard's Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Dillard's Interview Questions

Updated Feb 16, 2017

2.1

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

Interview was great! I was hired on righthe away! I was asked a series of questions, like, what goals do you have in mind or have accomplished. I was also asked if I have had jobs to where I can be competitive. This job is a competitive job, so you have to make your sales quota to stay.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about competition?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

I had to do three interviews in total for this job. Which was a bit of a long process. Each interview was with a different manager. Each manager asked different questions and they don't offer the position on the spot they call back with an offer.

E Commerce Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Dillard's (Little Rock, AR) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied on line and got a pone interview and then they sent me E mail and I met with two managers in the office. One of the manager calls me and said she will call me in the morning. I did not get the job because they promoted within and he interview went great but its the policy to promote with in the company and will keep resume on file.

Interview Questions

• What is your goal for 5 years   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dillard's (Clearwater, FL) in August 2016.

Interview

I was called for a first interview and went on a Monday morning. When you arrive customer service will call for an on-duty manager to conduct the interview. Basically this is like a department manager and anyone that's available can do the interview She asked the typical interview questions and then asked if I could come back for a second interview with the assistant store manager which I did the next day and I was offered the job during that interview and a background check was conducted also

Fragrance Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dillard's (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Interview process was very easy, she asked me basic interview questions, the interview lasted roughly around 30 minutes. If you have a lot of retail selling experience, then it should be a great interview. They ran a background check and I was hired the same day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The negotiation phase was fair, they try to pay you a little higher than most big retail department stores would pay you.

Security Camera Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dillard's (Dallas, TX).

Interview

not very organized. the manager was weird and she didn't know how to interview very well. I tried to answer as best I could even though it was very poorly done. she should take a class on how to interview people so they will feel more comfortable. I needed a job so I endured.

Interview Questions

• repeated questions I already answered   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. I got hired because they were desperate. Hired on the spot.

Associate, Part Time Interview

Anonymous Employee in Marion, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Dillard's (Marion, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

I met with a department manager who interviewed for 45 minutes asking me the obvious kinds of questions. She was very nice and it was a smooth process. She liked me and set me up with an interview with the Assistant Manager that same day. I interviewed with the assistant manager for an hour and she asked if I had considered management. I said yes, but I had missed their last opportunity. She told me about a possible opening and she said she was going to recommend me for it. I meet with the store manager 3 days after my initial interview.

Interview Questions

• What is something you don't like about working retail?   1 Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawton, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Dillard's (Lawton, OK) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online from Indeed.com and the next day I got a phone call from a woman who seemed happy to invite me to an interview a few days after. I gladly accepted, I mean, $12 an hour? Of course! Then I decided to do some research. $12 an hour for a sales associate gig is kind of too good to be true, and I was right. From this very website I saw the darker side of Dillard's, one with unreasonable sales quotas, shady business practices, and a disorganized store management.

So, the interview day comes along and I get a haircut and wear a nice polo and jeans. I walk into the store and ask one of the associates that I have an interview, and Red Flag 1 is raised. The associate, who seemed like a nice woman, immediately soured and pointed vaguely in the direction of the customer service area. Ok, maybe she was having a bad day, but from what I have read, competition in Dillard's is seen with irritation. I go to the desk and the woman behind the desk was very nice the entire time. I tell her what I'm there for and she pages the manager that I would be interviewed by. Then she pages them again. Red Flag 2 is raised. My interview was set for 3:00pm, I showed up at 2:55pm because I try to be professional. It isn't until 3:15pm that the manager arrives. At first she seems nice, if a little irritated looking. The first thing I notice is that this woman is not the same who called me and set up the interview. This isn't too odd, but it will come into play later.

She grabs my paperwork from behind the desk and asks if my name is Kent and I tell her that it isn't, my name is Marcus. She asks who Kent is and I tell her that Kent is my middle name, and she irritably says "well why didn't you say so?" Whatever. She leads to me to her office and WOW is it disorganized. There is stuff everywhere, not all of it is even related to her job. So Red Flag 3 is raised based on the disorganization of both her paperwork and her office.

I won't type word by word what she said, but there were some keypoints in this interview.
    1. She complained about my lack of experience, despite the fact that I have nearly a year of retail work.
    2.She confusingly complained about my age, and that I might not be able to handle the workload. I'm 19 years old, and in decent shape. Why wouldn't I be able to handle a basic retail job? I have before.
    3. She got angry at the fact that I didn't dress "professionally" to the interview. This was resolved, but apparently I was supposed to wear a suit to the interview, something I was not informed of when I was called. Then, when I told her that I didn't have a problem dressing that way, she had the gall to assume I didn't have the type of clothes needed, and when I told her I did, she clearly didn't believe me.

All in all, it was the worst interview I've ever had. The interviewer was unprofessional, demeaning, and downright insulting. Now, I might hear some readers say "Get used to it, this is the real world." The fact that it was a bad interview doesn't anger me. What angers me is that someone at her store called me to set up this interview. Someone looked at my application, deemed that I was qualified, and called me to have me come in. Someone thought that I had the necessary requirements for this job, but the woman who interviewed me clearly was not communicated this fact. All this does for me is prove that Dillard's is the disorganized mess that so many Glassdoor patrons have said it is.

Interview Questions

• "What skills do you have that you think may be helpful for this job?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Gilbert, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dillard's (Gilbert, AZ) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online, then went in every day to see if the mgr had read my application. After 2 visits she invited me to her office for an interview. It was so casual I didn't realize it was an interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you rate yourself from 1 to 10 in aggressiveness   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

Had an informal interview as I was transferring from Macy's and had been promised the position prior to the interview. I met with the store manager and discussed a salary. Was given higher bass salary but no commission opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Why are you transferring from Macy's?   1 Answer