Dillard's Retail Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Dillard's Retail Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 27, 2017

1.9

Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dillard's (Clearwater, FL).

Interview

Easy, filled out application at website and took an aptitude test. Was called and met with the Assistant Store Manager. Received an offer the next day. I then started the next week on training which lasted three weeks.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Dillard's

Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dillard's (Winston-Salem, NC).

Interview

Simple typical questions relaxed atmosphere I just talked with the store manager. Talked about my experience and what I had been doing since my last job. He was real nice and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Why Dillard's, what is your experience, what area of the store do you see yourself working in   1 Answer

Negotiation

He made an offer and I accepted. I needed a job.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

Interviewed with the department manager. She asked basic questions and really tried to get to know me. She loved the experience that I had and she hired me right away. It went way faster than I expected.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult customer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Biloxi, MS

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dillard's (Biloxi, MS) in September 2016.

Interview

Simple, fast, got the job... But they didn't actually tell mei was hired and then called me one day beforehand and told me to show up for orientation. I had to cancel other job interviews to make that happen.

Interview Questions

• How long have to work in the retail business .?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawton, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Dillard's (Lawton, OK) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online from Indeed.com and the next day I got a phone call from a woman who seemed happy to invite me to an interview a few days after. I gladly accepted, I mean, $12 an hour? Of course! Then I decided to do some research. $12 an hour for a sales associate gig is kind of too good to be true, and I was right. From this very website I saw the darker side of Dillard's, one with unreasonable sales quotas, shady business practices, and a disorganized store management.

So, the interview day comes along and I get a haircut and wear a nice polo and jeans. I walk into the store and ask one of the associates that I have an interview, and Red Flag 1 is raised. The associate, who seemed like a nice woman, immediately soured and pointed vaguely in the direction of the customer service area. Ok, maybe she was having a bad day, but from what I have read, competition in Dillard's is seen with irritation. I go to the desk and the woman behind the desk was very nice the entire time. I tell her what I'm there for and she pages the manager that I would be interviewed by. Then she pages them again. Red Flag 2 is raised. My interview was set for 3:00pm, I showed up at 2:55pm because I try to be professional. It isn't until 3:15pm that the manager arrives. At first she seems nice, if a little irritated looking. The first thing I notice is that this woman is not the same who called me and set up the interview. This isn't too odd, but it will come into play later.

She grabs my paperwork from behind the desk and asks if my name is Kent and I tell her that it isn't, my name is Marcus. She asks who Kent is and I tell her that Kent is my middle name, and she irritably says "well why didn't you say so?" Whatever. She leads to me to her office and WOW is it disorganized. There is stuff everywhere, not all of it is even related to her job. So Red Flag 3 is raised based on the disorganization of both her paperwork and her office.

I won't type word by word what she said, but there were some keypoints in this interview.
    1. She complained about my lack of experience, despite the fact that I have nearly a year of retail work.
    2.She confusingly complained about my age, and that I might not be able to handle the workload. I'm 19 years old, and in decent shape. Why wouldn't I be able to handle a basic retail job? I have before.
    3. She got angry at the fact that I didn't dress "professionally" to the interview. This was resolved, but apparently I was supposed to wear a suit to the interview, something I was not informed of when I was called. Then, when I told her that I didn't have a problem dressing that way, she had the gall to assume I didn't have the type of clothes needed, and when I told her I did, she clearly didn't believe me.

All in all, it was the worst interview I've ever had. The interviewer was unprofessional, demeaning, and downright insulting. Now, I might hear some readers say "Get used to it, this is the real world." The fact that it was a bad interview doesn't anger me. What angers me is that someone at her store called me to set up this interview. Someone looked at my application, deemed that I was qualified, and called me to have me come in. Someone thought that I had the necessary requirements for this job, but the woman who interviewed me clearly was not communicated this fact. All this does for me is prove that Dillard's is the disorganized mess that so many Glassdoor patrons have said it is.

Interview Questions

• "What skills do you have that you think may be helpful for this job?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dillard's (Kansas City, KS) in May 2016.

Interview

Very easy interview! Only thing that was a problem for me was the the interviewer showed up 15 minutes late. However, the interviewer was very nice and just asked me a couple basic questions. Then I started work just a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked in retail before?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dillard's (Saint Petersburg, FL) in February 2016.

Interview

Asked me about what I did in my past job and how I could grow from that. Also wanted to know how I herd about the job and if I was referred by anyone that worked for the company.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dillard's (Atlanta, GA) in August 2015.

Interview

Hiring/interviewing process took a very long time. Secretary forgot to submit information once being given the go ahead to schedule next interview. It was supposed to be a 3 part interview process (which is pointless; just telling different people the same thing over and over) I had a 4 part interview because the position I was initially interviewing for was no longer available.

First interview: Easy but long because she talked a lot
    Second interview: I was asked questions and told about my role
    Third Interview: Very short, again told about role
    Fourth (final) interview: Talked about experience, discussed pay and referral

Called a day later, was given an offer and I took it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background......
      How would you deal with a difficult customer?
      Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

The interview process was fairly easy. I applied on Monster.com and emailed a "great" resume. I was called the next day or so to have an interview. I was interviewed by two "seasoned" managers the same day. If you're bright, well-spoken, and have previous experience in retail there's a good chance that they may hire you. Also dress well for the position that you are applying.

Interview Questions

• What was your previous job experience like?.. Was there anything negative about the job you didn't like?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was called back 3 hours after my interview for a job offer. The company starts employees at $12/hr, part-time because they believe the incentive that everyone should be paid well. I was offered $13/hr part-time to start with the opportunity to earn full-time plus a pay-raise every 3 months if my sales performance is great.

Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Dillard's (Ogden, UT).

Interview

Friendly & easygoing. It appeared as if they had already made their hiring decision before the interview. So it was just easy general questions. They asked me what department I would like to work in i.e. "Juniors", Housewares" "Handbags, Gifts", "Shoes" or "Mens", etc. the best time of day i.e. morning, evening or afternoon.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No real negotiation phase......