Dimensional Fund Advisors Research Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Dimensional Fund Advisors Research Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at Dimensional Fund Advisors

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dimensional Fund Advisors (Charlotte, NC) in October 2018.

Interview

I applied online and interviewed on campus. I made it to superday. I interviewed at the Charlotte office. Interviews + lunch + tour went from 12-4. I had 5 different interviews, roughly 30 minutes each. Most of them are nice. You definitely have to understand their investment philosophy and things like the FF3 factor model. You also have to talk in depth about previous experiences. The process is pretty smooth, but honestly they just ask you the same questions over and over again. By the last interview, you've repeated the same speech many times. Most of them are friendly but others seem like they don't want to be there.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Dimensional Fund Advisors

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dimensional Fund Advisors in February 2018.

Interview

The job description mostly mentioned data analytics (Python, R, SQL, etc.)

2 rounds - one with HR, one with a Sr. Researcher

HR was mostly screening, questions on resume, behavioral. In the follow-up, she gave me a list of bullet points and articles to study (including Efficient Market Hypothesis, Fama-French 3 Factor Models, Dimensional case studies/articles, etc). I studied all of these things, but the next round Sr. Researcher didn't really talk about any of them. He gave me questions about probabilities and SQL - they weren't too bad but not what I was expecting.

The HR follow-up was pretty misleading, led me to do a lot of research and reading when I should have just been focused on the technical aspects.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dimensional Fund Advisors (Austin, TX) in January 2018.

Interview

I interviewed with DFA in Dec 2017. The process took about 4 weeks. I had an initial interview with HR (basic questions about my resume and why I want to work at DFA). Had a second phone interview with a researcher where she asked me about previous research experience and then some questions about factor models. I had onsite interview in Austin. Mostly behavioral questions, questions about past experience and my understanding of DFA's investment process

Interview Questions

• Economic interpretation of fama french factors e.g. why do small stocks outperform large stocks. What is book value of a firm?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dimensional Fund Advisors (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Smooth and fast - had a phone interview and then an in-person interview at the Santa Monica office. The phone interview was behavioral focused, and then the in-person interview was mostly low-key with 5 sessions, a few over skype. There was one quantitative session which was stressful - the interviewer led with questions before introductions.

Interview Questions

• How do you conduct exponentiation in a programming language that does not allow for multiplication?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dimensional Fund Advisors (Austin, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online, received 1st round phone interview a few weeks later. Then 2nd round phone interview with a research employee. Finally onsite with 5 back-to-back VP and MDs. Questions were mostly fit questions during the first 2 rounds. The final round was with many technical things and was mostly about past experience on resume.