Discover Interview Questions in Riverwoods, IL | Glassdoor

2.9

98 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverwoods, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Discover (Riverwoods, IL) in November 2017.

Interview

Meet with someone before on campus, just to get to know you and ask about your resume. Then meet with three interviewers, 2 behavior, and 1 technical. Meet at their Riverwoods location, got tour of campus and had lunch to.

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Riverwoods, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Discover (Riverwoods, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online and had a current employee refer me as well. Soon after submitting my resume, I had a 15-20 minute call with HR to review the position and go over my background. That same day, I was told the hiring manager was interested in setting up a call with me, and we had one the following week. We talked for about a half hour about my background, the positions, and had the opportunity to go back and forth about the job and what I'd be doing. The hiring manager for my position was a very informal interviewer, so it was more of a conversation than a Q&A session, which was honestly really refreshing.

A couple days later HR got ahold of me again and mentioned that they wanted me to come on-site to meet with 4 team members. We scheduled this for the following week, but they wound up having to push it back another week to accommodate everyone's schedule.

The day I went in to interview, I met with 4 people. I spent about a half hour to 45 minutes with each one. They recently adopted a new interviewing process, so many of them read questions off of a packet and filled them out that were really generic. Once those were out of the way, I could have more of the informal, conversation-style interview that I had over the phone with each of the people I met with.

Later on that same week, I received a call from HR that they wanted to offer me the job. Honestly, this position was a perfect fit for me and I feel Discover is a good culture fit, so unlike others who have reviewed their interview process, I feel that my process was very swift and timely. I appreciated the quick turnaround.

One thing to note is that they are a finance organization, so once you get an offer, the background check will be a bit more extensive than other companies. You'll have to take a drug test, give them your fingerprints, and provide information to a 3rd party company so they can check your employee and education history. So if you lie on your resume, use any sort of recreational drug, or have any sort of criminal background, that will come to light. Be mindful of that!

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time that you met opposition for an initiative you proposed, and walk me through how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Digital Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverwoods, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Discover (Riverwoods, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

Completed a phone interview, then a month later visited the corporate office in Riverwoods, IL for an in-person interview. Discover offered to fly me & cover hotel since I was from out of town. I drove instead so they covered gas. Very nice of them and appreciated. The interview lasted 4 hours. Met a series of people from Director, to Supervisor, to Managers to the team from different departments. All were very nice. Questions were easy. They were more focused on describing to me what the job would be, and my experience in similar roles. The only issue was in logistics with the conference room HR has placed the interview in. The room I was supposed to be in was not available due to office renovation, so they had me in an impromptu room which made it a bit difficult for everyone else to find the right room I was in.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with PowerPoint?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you've had to change management's mind.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you've had to work with senior management on a past project.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverwoods, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Discover (Riverwoods, IL).

Interview

Recruiter was great. Was asked to meet the team. Team was overall good except for the team VP. She was basically argumentative and horrible experience. Had no interest in working for her group afterwards. Overall pay is low, low is the suburbs, and team has little experience in what their doing.

Accounting Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Riverwoods, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Discover (Riverwoods, IL).

Interview

There was first a phone interview and I had to call the manager for that.
    I then went for in person interview which was in the pantry/ vending machine area which was pretty noisy with people coming in and out.
    It wasn't a good experience at all

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverwoods, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Discover (Riverwoods, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

Short phone interview with the recruiter, followed by 4 individual interviews with people in parallel roles, the hiring manager, and the director above that manager. Individual interviews were structured along a documented process the interviewer was obligated to follow.

Half of the interviewers spent a lot of time talking about how they've been at Discover for 10+ years, and didn't seem to really have looked into my background and it's application to the role. One person I interviewed with didn't really follow the structured interview document, but asked me several Business level 300-400 questions, but would also cut me off while answering.

During the course of the interview it became obscenely apparent that at least the team I interviewed with was a rather complacent group of people. Literally felt like most of them were punching a clock and vesting their 401k. It didn't feel like anything innovative was happening, despite some buzzword interview questions about some current topics in the identity verification space.

The recruiter was also largely absent from any communication except for when they were seeking me out.

Interview Questions

• How do you think our product teams are composed? What roles do we have in these orgs?   1 Answer

Digital Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverwoods, IL

Application

I interviewed at Discover (Riverwoods, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

1. Phone Screen - Behavioural Questions
    2. Technical plus behavioral questions on PS
    3. Onsite interview with 4 different managers in Riverwoods, Chicago

Arrangements for on-site interview were quick and good
    Interviewers were very nice to me.
    Prompt to solve pre interview queries on email

Interview Questions

• How will you handle conflict situations
      General questions of managerial positions   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverwoods, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Discover (Riverwoods, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

Quick process, great communication with the recruiter. Two phone interviews followed by an in-person interview with a number of team members including the hiring manager, peer from another department and department VP.

Consumer Insights Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverwoods, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Discover (Riverwoods, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone screen with the recruiter, then phone interview with the manager, then they flew me in for in-person interviews with the team.

Each person showed up 5-15 minutes late for the in-person interviews, and they indicated that most people are always running late. The company has some initiatives to work on this part of the company culture, but I was concerned that it would be a difficult company to work for in a collaborative role.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Riverwoods, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Discover (Riverwoods, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

One screening interview over phone with recruiter. Average screening questions just going through my resume, what the job entails, salary preference, etc. One on-site interview with 4 individuals. All were very nice and respectful, and asked some standard HR questions.