Disney Cruise Vacations Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Disney Cruise Vacations Interview Questions

Updated Dec 23, 2016

2.7

Nursery Counselor Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Disney Cruise Vacations in January 2016.

Interview

I applied through Cast-A-Way in January 2016...a week and a half later I had a phone interview with them....two weeks after that, I had a webcam interview with DCL, and the evening of the same day, I got an email saying congratulations! The whole process was very fast and going through Cast-A-Way helped so much!

Interview Questions

• What experience with babies do you have? What age group do you work best with and why? How would you make the cruise special for parents and their children?   Answer Question

Youth Activities Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Disney Cruise Vacations (Melbourne, FL) in January 2016.

Interview

You will first get an email, then a Skype and Phone call. The process didn't take too long, I got to know if I got the job in the first couple weeks of applying.

Entertainment Host Interview

Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Disney Cruise Vacations (Anaheim, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Very direct and informative. The ally's help you along the entire way and always encourage you to check in with them. The audition took place at Disneyland with a few others where you perform some basic scripts they've provided a month in advance. Then it's all just submitting paperwork and hoping to get out to sea! Just waiting for my embarkation date.

Interview Questions

• Could you handle working 10-12 hour days with very minimal days off?   1 Answer

Disney Cruise Vacation Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kissimmee, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Disney Cruise Vacations (Kissimmee, FL) in October 2015.

Interview

I received an email to a schedule a phone interview with recruiter. Phone interview was standard questions about who I am why I want to work door disney and what do I feel my job duties would be. I researched the Disney cruise ships before the call just to have some info and interview went well. Received an email for in person interview and it was conducted as a panel interview with 4 interviewers and myself. Speak confidently and always remember the show must go on. Got hired.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Disney.   1 Answer

Cruise Vacation Sales Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Disney Cruise Vacations.

Interview

I interviewed inside of the Disney casting office (which is a magical place in and of itself). The building is full of whimsy and is a lot of fun. It's almost like walking into a park, but with a little more suited people.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my experience. It was a fairly straight forward interview.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There really was no negotiation. They offered me the job starting the following week. It was a take it or leave it kind of deal, since I was simply a person who took reservations. I was a cog in the wheel and they really don't let you forget it.

Cruise Vacation Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Celebration, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Disney Cruise Vacations (Celebration, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

You'll start with a phone interview with a recruiter that knows nothing about the job. Then if you pass that, you'll be invited in to take a short computer test. If you pass that, you'll go on immediately to a group interview with 3 leader.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Disney Cruise Line?   1 Answer

Youth Activities Counselor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Disney Cruise Vacations.

Interview

I found the ad in the American Camp Association's Year Round Jobs at Camp email blast. I emailed the @sixthstar.com representative listed.Think of them as a 'Bouncer'. They're there to make sure you're not wasting Disney's time by being stupid and uninformed. Oh, and tattooed. They're really big on not having body art. So, DO YOUR RESEARCH!

First Interview (Over Skype): She was nice and had a accent that eased me up and subconsciously reminded me to say "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am". She made sure I had actually READ the description for the job I was applying for, running over the duties and such.

"Have you read the description?"
    "Why Disney Cruise Lines?"
    "How long have you worked with children?"
    "What's the most amount of children that you've taken care of alone or with another person?"

I asked her a lot of good questions about what I'd seen online and in the description. (However I failed to ask these same questions in the second interview, which was with a completely different person, and I think that hurt me.)

She seemed to like me enough and passed me through to the next level. Yay!

Then there were a few emails:
    Sign into the Disney jobs site for the ACTUAL application for the job, and you have to fill it out BEFORE your 2nd interview.
    Sign into Disney's fancy document management system and upload a background check form. (TONS of problems with this) BEFORE your 2nd interview.
    Familiarize yourself with the Montage video interview system in preparation for your 2nd interview.
    Other steps that would have been taken after second interview: Background Check, Fingerprinting, Drug Testing, Physical Exam, and calling EVERY reference.

Second interview (using Montage): I had problems with accessing Montage with Firefox. I contacted our help representative and she suggested trying a different browser. Explorer worked. The interviewer was nice, too.

"How did you find out about this position?"
    "Why Disney Cruise Line?"
    "What do you know about/what questions do you have about life on the cruise?"
    "Do you currently work with children?"
    "What is the largest number of children you have you been in charge of alone?"
    "Have any of your previous jobs required you to use a sanitation protocol?"
    "Have any of your previous jobs required you to have a [child safety course?]?"
    "What would you do if you had a child who was causing a disturbance?"
    "What would you do if you had a child who was not wanting to participate in an activity?"
    "How would you interact with parents?
    "What would you do if you found yourself with a group of kids and some time before an activity?"

After each of my answers she said, "Perfect!" so I thought I was doing good.

"Where are you looking to go in your career?"

And there, my friends, is where I think I jumped the interview shark. My career goals (working with kids in a variety of environments) were not enough, I guess.

I received an email an hour later that said: "DCL feels that they have more qualified candidates at this time. They felt there was a lack of long term commitment."

My work history is mostly camp, and that means seasonal, which looks like close to 10 years of 3-4 months at one place and another 3-4 months somewhere else. All over the country. There was consistent employment here and there.

The experience I have makes me awesome and hit-the-ground-running skilled; this experience -since it came from so many different places- apparently makes me a flight risk.

So be prepared for that if your resume has a lot of random experience.

Interview Questions

• "Where are you looking to go in your career?"   2 Answers

Onboard Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Galveston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Disney Cruise Vacations (Galveston, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

Transfer possible only after two contracts in any other department. The request must be submitted through HR and they have you attend a class about transfers, promotions and lateral moves. Then the hotel director interviews you.m, sends you to the shore-side representative, and then interviews you with the hotel director and guest services manager. So, the are three interviews in total.

Interview Questions

• Would you be able to sell a cruise even without our onboard discount?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Celebration, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Disney Cruise Vacations (Celebration, FL) in September 2013.

Interview

Telephone interview was easy, they ask basic stuff about your knowledge of the ships, and your experience in the tourism industry.

Interview Questions

• At in person interview they do a mock sales call of someone not sure of what kind of cruise they're looking for   1 Answer

Assistant Human Resources Manager Interview

Interview

I applied directly via email to HR and then nothing. Recruiting is a two way street from both a candidate and potential employer perspective. As an experienced HR professional, I have built relationships with candidates that might not have been a fit at that time but either could assist in finding the perfect candidate or becoming the perfect candidate in the future. Not notifying a candidate that you aren't interested or have filled the role is just lazy and speaks volumes about the corporate culture (or lack of it).