Disqus Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Disqus Interview Questions

Interviews at Disqus

Senior Python Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Disqus (San Francisco, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

Good job advert - they used native Stackoverflow Careers rather than simply using it as an advertising board which is always a good sign. Good interview management, excellent communication. For one of the interviews they forgot (it's a small startup after all), so I sent an email 15 mins after it was supposed to start and in fairness to them they rang through five mins later with lots of apologies their end.

The first interview was with one of the founders, mostly centered on general philosophy of engineering and such. I had worked on a cloud based startup written mostly in Python last year, so that was an excellent framework for discussion. We went quite far outside just that though, went into the future of computing and such.

The second interview was a phone based coding exercise. The guy interviewing was much more competent than the average I experienced during second stage interviews with US tech companies, and he really knew his stuff. I almost certainly came across as a python newbie, forgetting things like namedtuple() is a factory and you must do namedtuple()() to actually instantiate it. I also made what he'd think a mistake where I used dictionaries where sets was a better fit, and he later used set intersection to avoid writing a filtering loop. He was right that by pushing into the C implementation it's likely much faster for small item counts, but how well that scales with item count I can't say and I can see how a set implementation might not scale as well as a dictionary. However, fair enough, the fact I don't know shows my inexperience with python!

The third stage was asking me to complete a model solution to a fairly hard problem, something which would have taken a full day of my time. I knew if they were asking me that then my coding abilities were in doubt. I run a busy IT consultancy firm, and I don't on principle code for free or else I'd never make any money, so I would on principle refuse to write model answers without them at least paying something e.g. a flight out onto their premises for a face to face, or something like that.

I liked the company, and I liked their engineers, so rather than flatly refuse I postponed it to the following week. A few days later they said the position was no longer available, which was fair enough.

All in all they were among the best of the Silicon Valley startups I interviewed with. From what I saw, competently run, with competent engineers.

Interview Questions

• Write a Unix glob implementation in python. Globbing lets you use * for zero or more characters, ? for a single character, [] for a character range.   1 Answer

[A Newly Created Role] Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Disqus.

Interview

He was 10 min late to a 20-30min phone screen. From the get-go, he did not seem at all interested in talking to me. Aside from the HR person emailing me to set up the interview, he was my first contact with the company, and my first corporate interview in over a decade, so I was ill-prepared to answer what I now understand are very standard questions.

Interview Questions

• These weren't "difficult", but because I was expecting a phone call with an HR person to explain the role to me and then to set up an appointment with someone else in the company, I wasn't expecting any of these:

1. What interested you in [this role]?
      2. What do you think are the most important issues in social media today?
      3. Describe a project you managed.
      4. [he gave a rundown of the job description] Of the job responsibilities, which do you feel most comfortable with?
      5. do you have any questions for me?   Answer Question

Product Manager - Advertising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Disqus (San Francisco, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Process entailed: HR Screener, Phone Interview with Head of Product, On-site with Head of Product and VP of Engineering. The subject matter of the interview was very specific to the role - what do you know about advertising? More specifically the company is a little lost on direction and needs real monetization strategies since many of their marquee customers like TechCrunch have switched vendors to LiveFyre. The better candidate will not mention that the key to getting more engagement is having a broader platform that serves all social needs. The role will probably encompass create the landscape and roadmap from scratch. No interview with any Design counterparts in the organization.

Interview Questions

• What are some ideas for the integration of advertising into our basic discussion form factor? How would you optimize advertising within this area? What other areas would you throw in advertising?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Disqus.

Interview

I applied by emailing a recruiter with my resume and cover letter. She replied asking me to complete a take-home coding challenge within 2 days. I submitted my solution and after another day I was asked to update it to improve the runtime of a specific case. I did so and submitted my updated solution promptly. I felt that my solution was very good, but about 2 weeks after that I was told that they were not moving forward with my application. I was never offered an interview.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Disqus.

Interview

The first interview was a phone call with the recruiter that consisted of going over my resume as well as my interest in Disqus and the blogging/comment world. I then scheduled a second phone interview which lasted less than ten minutes to talk about why I choose to do the activities on my resume. Afterwards, I visited the office and had a talk with the second phone interviewer (1:1) before I had lunch with the company. After having lunch, I had a third interview (1:1) with the team manager. The entire process was friendly and they really just wanted to know who you were, if they liked you, and how you fit.

Interview Questions

See What Disqus Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Current Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros: “* Everyone is insanely intelligent and a joy to work with. * Great can-do attitude, which bodes well with my own. * Everyone here has great work ethic, which I need others to have as...”“* Everyone is insanely intelligent and a joy to work with. * Great can-do attitude, which bodes well with my own. * Everyone here has great work ethic, which I need others to have as well. * Great leadership that doesn't micromanage at all and lets you innovate. * The other co-founder, Jason, is a truly great individual. Daniel is great too, don't get me wrong! * Lots of facets in the company, allowing freedom of expression and a plethora of interesting channels to head down. * Love it here.” – Full Review