Interview Question

Patent Examiner Interview

US Patent and Trademark Office

Do you what a patent examiner does?

AnswerAdd Tags

Interview Answers

128 Answers

I had an interview for a ME position in the afternoon yesterday. They asked: 1)What areas are you interested in/minimum starting salary/earliest start date 2)Name a time when you were given a task with a short turnaround time 3)Name a time when you received constructive criticism 4)Name a time you were persuasive to a superior

AmySchumer on

was told by hr that we should know by tomorrow

Anonymous on

when you spoke to HR, did she mean that HR received the selections and theyre getting back to the applicants or the applicants received their selections?

Anonymous on

How do you know its supposed to happen on Monday?

Anonymous on

I'm not sure. last time i applied i was told i did really well but did not get it. the applicant pool is very large. its not only the people that interviewed but people that previsouly interviewed and reapplied. i applied last time so i didnt have to interview again but my application is in the pool to get chosen too. i mean I'm sure if the interviewer rated your responses high other people rate it too. assuming you gave a good answer

RRP on

ME hr rep said either today or tomorrow!!! good luck everyone!

RRP on

Got selected for CE (GS-9/step-8). Received the final offer today (10/12/16) after sending OF-306 by fax and official transcript from the school where I finished my MSEE. Good luck everyone.

Anonymous on

Starting date is Nov. 14th (Monday).

Anonymous on

i am too!!!! first round starts next monday!!! if they follow the same 8 week cycle like the past few times. interviews should be next week and we find out first week of december.

Anonymous on

Anyone aware how long the background check takes to get a firm offer?

Anonymous on

your start date will be Nov. 14 maybe towards the end of the month!

Anonymous on

How was your interview going? anything different from what is discussed here?

How was your interview going? anything different from what is discussed here on

I added my interview review here! let me know if you have any questions

Anonymous on

^is yours the dallas texas mechanical engineering one? anyone get chemical engineering for alexandria yet?

Anonymous on

yes iit is dallas mech engineer

Anonymous on

I had an interview today for ChemEng announcement closed 10/06 in Alexandria. Academy starting Feb 6th.

Hamilton on

waiit so did you get the job, I didn't know when the academy was starting, how did you know did they tel you in interview?

Anonymous on

Yes my interviewer told me if hired that would be my start date. The interview felt like it was going very well, so maybe he told me that under the pretense that I would be hired. I'm not sure. To be clear: I just had my interview today, hiring decision should come within two weeks I was told.

Hamilton on

the person who interviewed you does not make any choices in picking people. they record our answers then HR rates and then that is sent to selecting officials. our ratings and responses

Anonymous on

It usually takes a month from the time they sent out selections for the training academy to start, HR paperwork process is sorta long. I interviewed a few months back for the chemical engineering position so 2 weeks from now I'm waiting to hear back from the chemical and mechanical department. Theyre hiring process sometimes sucks because you lose the interview chance to impress the hiring selectors one on one. and they rely on your interview to take good notes. they rate you from 1-5 you basically want 3+ rating. No matter how good your resume and interview sometimes this is luck of the draw honestly. The week of the 19th is when everyone should hear back atleast from alexandria position.

123 on

so my HR lady isn't replying back to my email. but if someone can email there HR rep and ask when should we hear back? i saw another post saying that we hear back like 3rd week of january. why a month away

Anonymous on

What HR were you trying ask? During my interview an SPE in ChemEng told me it would be two weeks from 12/7. Also, anyone else interview for Alexandria this week?

Hamilton on

I interviewed 12/7 for CompE and I was told I'd know in mid january.

Anonymous on

I was trying to ask chemical HR. I'm guessing compE has a later date then chem E

Anonymous on

There was another CompE "anonymous" post that also mentioned hearing back mid January.

123 on

Does anyone know the number of vacancies on the various USAJOBS announcements. On the Chemical Engineer announcement it was for 25 vacancies in Alexandria.

Hamilton on

I'm pretty sure its 25 for almost all of the open vacancies for USPTO for each hiring round. please post if anyone hears anything from HR or anyone else.

rrp on

My usajobs show "not hired" today, this is for the Dallas, Tx, CompEng position.

Anonymous on

no status change for me dallas, tx mechanical eng position. I feel like everyone will hear back before break. the alexandria applications were due 3 weeks before the dallas ones.

123 on

for those who did alexandria and dallas did you interview for both?

Anonymous on

on 11/18 i received email saying "referred to selecting officials". since then i have not received any emails. i applied for EE dallas office. Did anyone hear anything for EE position yet?

^ did you check your usajobs status

^ did you check your usajobs status

Anonymous on

yes, it is still saying "received"

Anonymous on

I know some people interviewed for Dallas positions the first week of December; have you interviewed in the past for another announcement? If so, your interview should still be valid and you'd be considered using it. That being said, people were receiving selection results for Dallas Mechanical positions this week, so I would contact the HR rep on the announcement for a direct answer. (I'm assuming the ME and EE Dallas positions closed the same time in October, so their timelines would probably be similar)

Hamilton on

Thanks Hamilton. i was interviewed in July for same dallas position. do you think they will use that interview or they will ask for another interview?

Anonymous on

From what I've read around the internet, it seems like interviews are maintained and valid anywhere from six months to a year, so I'd guess yours would be reused with your application. How many vacancies were posted with that Dallas EE announcement on USAJOBS? (fyi, there's a link to the original announcement on your USAJOBS status page)

Hamilton on

Interviews are done so they would use your previous interview

trey on

As far as i know 25. thanks for the update. if they use my previous interview then my chance is very slim then ):

Anonymous on

To Hamilton's Dec 11, 2016 post: I interviewed for Alexandria position.

Anonymous on

Has anyone who interviewed the week of 12/5 heard back from Alexandria HR ? I know the general consensus on here seemed to be we'd hear back this week?

Anonymous on

Today is the two week mark from my interview, haven't heard anything yet. Chemical HR told me yesterday that 'selections would be made at the end of Decemeber'. Seemed intentionally vague, like they'd be finalized by then, or maybe only being offered then, who knows. Spoke to someone at Patent Hiring Center hotline, they said it could be 4-6 weeks from interview. I know the Alexandria vacancies were extended for four weeks at the beginning of December, so they may be behind on their timeline.

Hamilton on

theyre trying to start before 1/20 incase the hiring freeze effects them. even tho its 2 marks on the dot. give it till friday. I'm still waiting to hear back as well. most people will go on vacation after thursday most likely. so next week seems weird. cuz thats the week most people take off. in another forum i follow. one of SPE said that theyre doing selections right now and that was last thursday

rrp on

What's the other forum?

Forum on

Probably intelproplaw.com. There's a 400-some page long thread about working at the USPTO, with recent posts about the vacancies in Dallas and Alexandria.

Hamilton on

Starting date for Alexandria office is moved from 02/06 to 1/17. I just received a call from USPTO and later received the updated offer.

Anonymous on

Have offers been made for chemical?

Anonymous on

Also wondering the same for computer engineering

Anonymous on

I got offer for Computer engineer. But, I do have degree in EE (MSEE), didn't get selected for EE !!

Anonymous on

To the person above me, is this for Alexandria??

Anonymous on

To the person, who got offer for computer engineer but do have degree in EE, did you apply for computer engineering or EE or both?

Anonymous on

Yes, I applied for both EE and CE, got selected for CE.

Anonymous on

and it is for Alexandria office.

Just got "referred not selected" email for Alexandria ME position

Amy Schumer on

Anybody getting interviewed next week??

Anonymous on

^ what did you get your interview in. like what department?

Anonymous on

next cutoff date is today. so a new hiring cycle will begin today. you won't have to interview again tho

Anonymous on

So it will be another 2-3 month process most likely?

Anonymous on

10 weeks starting tomorrow. so same timeline as this round but with more applicants

Anonymous on

What did you say to answer the interview questions for ME? what was your school background/gpa?

Anonymous on

Don't give up hope. all the first round people have till 10/14 to verify that they accept this position. so ones the decline the offer. well now they can start filling the space with the remaining of us.

Anonymous on

It took me three days to get the final offer once OF-306 along with official transcripts are received.

Anonymous on

how many of you guys got the email of being in the second round of hiring

I got for CompE

Anonymous on

Wondering if anyone got a final offer for ME yet? I know CE did but I haven't heard since submitting the 306

Anonymous on

Anyone knows how many PE are hired for the first round ??

Anonymous on

I also did not get final offer for EE since I faxed OF306 on 10/7. Could not get hold of any HR personnel yet. Has anyone in this situation been able to contact HR?

Anonymous on

HR told me that the delay was due to previous employment verification. Just got the tentative letter.

Anonymous on

I think you should get everything by end of this week. so they can proceed with round two after

Anonymous on

anybody here currently waiting for the latest round? I was "Referred to Selecting Official" on Oct 27 and still waiting for another update.

PD on

Same here. "Referred to the selecting official" on 10/27.

Anonymous on

How long was the process from submitting OF-306 to receiving a final offer?

Anonymous on

Talk about disappointing ... I called HR this morning because I haven't seen anything since my "selection" email last Thursday. While we were talking, the lady discovers I was sent the selection email by mistake. Instead my application was pushed for consideration in round two. So demoralizing ....

Anonymous on

^I'm sorry. we should find out about round 2 selections in a month. a week before the starting date (nov. 14). I would be really pissed if that happened to me.

Anonymous on

second round chances are slim! its the spots that people from first round declined

Anonymous on

Believe me, I was LIVID. The alarming thing is she told me this isn't the first time this has happened. Good luck in round two.

Anonymous on

I believe there has been more then one mix up! so they are pretty much in the process of fixing things right. they suck for sure

Anonymous on

Which HR department made the mistake

Anonymous on

just got an email saying i wasnt selected. good luck folks

Anonymous on

I just got an email - selected and will send info!!

Anonymous on

Just received selection email for EE! good luck everyone!

ME anyone?

Anonymous on

Havnt heard yes/no yet (ME)! If anyone of the selected are MEs please let me know. If I don't hear back by end of tomorow I'm gonna assume I didn't get the position

My email was for ME.

Anonymous on

Just selected for ME, good luck everyone!

Anonymous on

Just got "selected" email for EE. I also got another job offer (temporary) and the contracting company is doing background check now. Before declining this temporary job offer, how can I be sure that this "email" guarantee patent examiner position? If anyone has any suggestion/comment for me, I appreciate that.

Anonymous on

it pretty much is guaranteed. so go ahead and accept it. still waiting for my yes/no

not selected ME

RRP on

Why is it that some people get a not selected email right away and others it takes a few days to hear anything? Wish they would just send everything out at one time..

Anonymous on

unsure of type! have you received an offer already?

Anonymous on

and what city was it for? I'm waiting to hear back from alexandria position

Anonymous on

interview for alexandria position is happening next week! has anyone heard back if they got an interview or not

Yes they drug test

Anonymous on

Had my interview for Alexandria this morning. Interview went okay. My interviewer was sick and even mentioned he was going home afterwards. So, hopefully that doesn't hurt my interview...

Anonymous on

had an interview for alexandria, waiting to hear back! should be about a month

Anonymous on

Is this for the EE area? Applied but haven't heard back yet..

Anonymous on

2 weeks? Thats quicker that usual, no?

Anonymous on

not really. In the hiring process timeline they said 1-2 weeks they get back to you. I applied a few months ago and 2 weeks after the interview we heard back. well the no's heard back a week later. but its about 2-2.5 weeks. so I'm thinking first or second week of october we find out so our start date would be mid november

RRP on

@blu you're applying again right? if you interviewed before i remember someone mentioning in an earlier thread you don't interview again. your interview is valid for 1 year

Anonymous on

I interviewed this week, even though the closing date isn't until 10/6 do you think we will still hear back in 2-3 weeks?

Anonymous on

yes, after the closing date the second round of hiring will begin for people that turned in the application post cut-off date. some people that did not get selected first round will be considered for second round as well.

Anonymous on

Had my EE/CS interview on Sept 20. It was long (45 mins). "Good luck for the application" was the comment after the interview. Probably not a good sign?

Anonymous on

the person that interviews you does not make the choice. All of your answers are put on this database and you get rated from 1-5 you want above 3. and then there are other SPE that make the choices

RRP on

Does the interviewer rate you? or someone else? Because the interviewer told I did well on the interview, but I still received rejection letters from both Dallas and Saint Jose locations.

RRP on

last round people heard back on may 2 (monday) and they had till friday to get back to them with yes/no. my husband was in that hiring round so thats why i know. but they could do it differently this time so yea friday or tuesday since monday is a holiday...hopefully before

Anonymous on

I emailed my HR rep but they have not gotten back to me. i asked for an updated status on the hiring process. if they respond to someone else please let me know. when i applied last cycle they were good at responding and letting me know when we should find out

Mondays a Federal Holiday so maybe this Friday

Anonymous on

Not yet. Interviewed on September 20th.

Nothing yet. Interviewed week of the 19th

Anonymous on

nothing yet, hopefully sometime this week or next week! I'm thankful for this forum to help keep me updated! if someone hears please post so people can assume they're getting a response that week too :)

123mnb on

ME as well - haven't heard anything and when I called the main hiring center the rep said "usually takes 4-6 weeks from the interview." hope not

Anonymous on

^ hopefully not long. theyre suppose to follow a 10 week hiring process from the day the application close. we are on week 8, so hopefully we hear back soon. I just emailed the HR rep for ME asking about an update

Anonymous on

Usually impossible to get a straight answer out of HR about this kind of thing

Anonymous on

thank you for posting what HR said. HR got back to me and gave me a very unclear answer of they'll notify whenever hiring officials get back to them -_- i hope they stick to their word and let us know by tomorrow also the person above ^ what disciple did you apply under. incase they split up what days theyre letting people know!!!

RRP on

i spoke with the CompE hr. she told me that they already received the selections

Anonymous on

Any MechEs out there hear back yet??

Anonymous on

I am a mechE and I havnt heard anything back

Anonymous on

I think they'll let us know next monday. so that would give us till the end of next friday to accept the offer

Anonymous on

Nope. Probably next week!

Anonymous on

Has anyone heard anything yet for the alexandria position?

Anonymous on

people that interviewed today and yesterday will hear back in about 2 weeks about the status of their selection

Anonymous on

Got an email saying "not selected for cutoff dates" but in the email it mentioned the application is still valid for the next cutoff date. Does anyone know if they have a new cutoff date yet?

Computer Engineering

Anonymous on

I inteviwed last week for mechanical engineer

Anonymous on

Are all the 'Anonymous' posts that said they interviewed for CompE all in Dallas?

when was your interview?

blu on

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.