Dolby Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 4, 2017

34 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Overall, I enjoyed speaking with the actual product team, but did not appreciate the back and forth and lack of cohesion as I went through the intern recruiting process for this position.
    First round interview was coordinated promptly and consisted of 30-minute phone screen.
    After follow up with the recruiter, received an email from a different recruiting coordinator 8 days later at the end of the day (5 p.m.) to schedule a second phone screen the next morning. Also asked about my timeline and other opportunities. Promptly scheduled phone screen for next morning. After 20 minutes waiting for the call, emailed the recruiter and found out the person was on vacation. Rescheduled the second phone screen for the following week. After waiting for the call, I emailed the recruiter, received an out of office and was redirected to another recruiter. Received a response that they forgot to cancel the second phone screen and the team was making their decision and I would hear the next day. Three days later, I received a decline.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach a research assignment if given limited resources or unable to disclose many details?   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Connected with recruiter over LinkedIn for a different position then came across this one based down here in Burbank, CA so reached out regarding the role closer to home. Dolby decided to move the role up to San Francisco instead and I decided to go through the process. Initial phone call with recruiter went great - talked about work experience and why I wanted to be part of Dolby. Overall it was great and then she set me up with the hiring manager to speak over the phone. I felt like we connected well and that was the feedback the recruiter got so they decided to bring me onsite. It was challenging because one week the team was at a conference then the next week there were people traveling so it got pushed back more. Did the onsite with the team - first guy senior felt like he didn't care much about me interviewing there. What was suppose to be a 45 minute interview turned out to be 15 mins long so then the associate recruiter came in and gave me a tour of the office (Gym, Cafe). The hiring manager came in second and it was great to chat with them - def. felt the energy and vibes we had over the phone. She brought in someone to talk with me who was not part of the initial panel which was okay. He focused more on operations and we chatted about my startup history and about pivoting. I felt like he had ADHD because he'd stop our conversations and talk about the window being held up by tape or protestors outside the building. Overall though he seemed like a nice guy. The third guy was a creative so we connected on that level and he was really nice. It felt like I'd be able to help him move in a direction that would make the process better for the group since he was from another team within the company. The last person was suppose to be research manager but she was out sick. My last conversation was with the recruiter that I connected with over LinkedIn - I have to say that there are okay recruiters and there are great recruiters. She made me feel like she cared and I'm sure she did. She felt like I was the top candidate for the role and I felt the same way too. There was a concern from one executive that I was doing my own thing for so long that I wouldn't be able to mend well back into the corporate environment which was wrong unless that was code word for just needing a person who doesn't innovate and does what they are told. I was told there would be another step in either coming up to speak with the Sr. Director of the group and a VP of creative marketing. Alas I didn't make the last step since they felt like I did well overall but the whole "worried about not being able to be part of a group" which the recruiter knew was a non-issue. I feel like it was a great opportunity for me grow professionally and it felt like a good team to be part of. I totally understand that decisions have to be made for the best interest of the company. I have to say that if you find someone that fits/checks all the marks on your list don't lose them to another company just because they've been riding solo for a few years.

Interview Questions

• What is the most recent movie you saw and how do you value that experience?
      · Name a few key milestones in application development, acquisition and retention?
      · Why do you want to work with us?   Answer Question

Associate Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Dolby (Berkeley, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Unprofessional and insincere. Complete disingenuous fluff.

On-campus interview with senior financial analyst. It felt like the interviewer had no interest in what he was doing. Asked questions about internship experience as well as "why finance?", "why company?". At the end of the interview he reassured: "I have talked to a few people today and you seem like a great candidate - we will definitely be in touch soon".
    It then took him almost a week to send a generic email response: "We were fortunate to have many outstanding candidates, including yourself, apply for this position. Although we were impressed with your qualifications, we are moving forward with other candidates at this time. We wish you much success in your future endeavors."
    I asked for feedback, no response after 4 days. Very unprofessional. Waste of applicants' time. Cannot recommend to anyone.

Senior Software Engineer Audio Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Phone call:
    1. Recruiter: to know if I am available
    2. Recruiting manager: to know salary expectations etc.
    3. Hiring manager: behavioral questions, no coding questions
    4. Senior manager: again behavioral questions, no coding questions

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your self by starting from your bachelors, your interest and your plan for next 10 years.
      What are you looking for in new job?
      Why do you want to leave now?
      Why Dolby?
      Challenging part of the project currently working on.
      Other general questions about responsibilities at current job.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Recruiter email, uncoordinated scheduling, hiring manager did not feel it was important to interview. I felt if they cannot get recruiting right, it is no wonder there are so many issues, lack of accountability and attrition at the company.

Interview Questions

• Why did I want the role?
      How would I manage the consensus culture?   Answer Question

Associate Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Met a recruiter, then invited to an all day event, included 3 / 30 minute interviews, and a demonstration and tour. Lunch and Coffee was included. Rotated interviewees between various department managers. Was around new hires who went through the same process which w as very helpful.

Director Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was initially excited to be considered for the role, and it was right up my alley. After holding the screener with the recruiter, she suggested that she return to the team and recommend me coming in for in-person interviews. After that, absolutely nothing back, after several attempts to get any feedback regarding my candidacy. They went completely dark.

I'm a seasoned 15+ year candidate in my field. NO update is unacceptable (hoping Dolby recruiting and/or sr. execs are reading this). I had thought this to be a great company, but see now in other interview reviews that several people have had this issue.

My time (as is Dolby's) is valuable. It's downright inconsiderate and rude not to provide ANY feedback, even if negative and that they won't be moving forward. It sincerely left a bad taste, and I will def. be sharing my experience with others who might inquire.

Get it together, guys. It's 2016 and though the job market is hot, people deserve a modicum of respect.

Interview Questions

• Basic phone screener questions about proper fit, level, experience, and salary requirements.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process was about 4 weeks in total, though it technically still hasn't ended (9 weeks later, more on that at the end).

Phone calls: One with HR, one with the hiring manager, and one with one of the engineers on the team. All pretty standard stuff. Career goals, coding questions, experience questions.

Onsite: 6-hour in-depth interview with about 7 team members and managers. More fairly standard stuff. Coding riddles, experience questions, general chats about the future of <job specialization>.

During the interview process, the job title and requirements for the job I was interviewing for changed a couple times without notice. No big deal, because it was still relatively close to the job I applied for. It went from a more creative product development role to a more straight engineering role.

After the onsite interview, I was notified that the position was going to an internal candidate, but that they would like me to stay on the line for other positions that they were immediately opening up. I took them at their word and re-applied for a couple that did come up, but was met with silence after following up with the HR contact. It's been 5 weeks at this point.

It's unclear if there is just such an impenetrable bureaucracy there that 5 weeks of silence with a candidate is normal, or whether their HR is just not equipped to properly decline a candidate. Needless to say, I will not be following up further, and was left with a bad taste in my mouth about Dolby.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a variety of coding riddles. One was to write an algorithm for finding the number of paths through a grid from a given point, with constraints for direction of movement.   1 Answer

Systems Test Engineer Broadcast Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Interview started from 10am and last to 4pm in the afternoon.

Six groups of employee gave me the interview in the meeting room. Lunch time was also an interview conducted by the technical writers.

Members in the interview team are all senior and staff engineers. There are project engineer, engineering manager and team director in the crews.

Last step was a brief introduction of company benefits and perks given by the HR. I was showed around the company's GYM and cafe and my interview ends here.

Interview Questions

• Basic DSP questions like:

1. Use knob to tune and generate the parameters for FIR filter. How to get rid of the bad noise when you switch from one set of parameters to another ones.

2. Time domain envelop and instrumental harmonic affairs and the way they affect the Fourrier spectrum.

3. Question about the resume.

4. Behavioral questions like why you choose Dolby, do you consider yourself a good fit for big company or startup, you like to learn and solve specific technical problems or big picture management problems, do you consider yourself a good fit for base level algorithm design or mid level software optimization or top level product design work.

5. Quantization and sampling DSP questions. Since human hearing region is between 10Hz-20kHz, why we need 44.1kHz or 48kHz or even 96kHz and use them as the digital media sample rates.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It consisted of three rounds of interviews including the initial phone screen with the Recruiter, the one-on-one with the hiring manager as well as the interview panel. Everything went pretty smoothly and things moved along in a timely manner. I was kept updated on the process and I received an offer within a month from the first interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no offer negotiation