Dollar General Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Dollar General Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jan 31, 2017

1.6

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview

Had 30 min conversation with store mangaer regarding pst experience, customer service and experience in retail. Nothing very specific. Just easy and basic questions. They asked basic questions about shrink management and they try to see if you would be a good fit for the store. Smile and be confident in your answers.

Interview Questions

• How would you improve sales?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Dollar General

Anonymous Employee in Landover, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dollar General (Landover, MD) in January 2017.

Interview

Did online app. Was called for interview, the day of interview I show up and the manager forgot about it wanted to reschedule but he did talk to me briefly while he was working. So we reschedule and guess what, the manager is not available to give me the interview as he is busy and I completely understand as this is not my first rodeo in retail. So I finally have a interview with manager and the DM . Everything goes well. Recieved my packet in email to do on boarding and drug screen and background check on a Wednesday, the following Monday I'm all set for Ready to work status. Today is Tuesday aND I haven't recieved a call with a start date.HR say management may have not seen the status change once the do I will get a call.

Negotiation

Negotiations was great. I would say I ask for one amount and was offered another amount . Now I'm feeling like it would not be enough budget to cover others but my work speaks for itself.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ponca City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dollar General (Ponca City, OK) in October 2016.

Interview

It went pretty well, except Store Manager, couldn't really make any eye contact. I am a big older woman but believe me, I do my work and I do it well. The age wasn't a factor, the manager looked older than myself. I finally got this interview after trying for 2 months to get one and I called the District Manager and asked about the reason one of the managers hadn't received my apps, when she told me what position to apply for. (not the manager I had the interview with) I knew DM's name and looked him up online. Got his phone number. I wasn't overstepping my bounds, I was handling a situation of needing to have an answer because I need a job. I guess I am paying for the intuitive work to try to secure my job with them. I messed up with them so don't try to fix it yourself. They retaliate and won't let you work for them. The store manager said it would be a week before she would know the answer for my interview. When I didn't hear from her in the afternoon at the end of the week I got a hold of her and she said that her and DM decided to promote within and not only did I not get the assistant manager position she called me for but was offered no other position they had opened

Interview Questions

• One question about a job scenario for the whole interview   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Powder Springs, Cobb, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General (Powder Springs, Cobb, GA) in July 2016.

Interview

I went on the interview, she asked me what I wanted to make and then sent me on the drug test the next day. I was hired within 2 weeks. I just decided to go with another company.

Interview Questions

• Do I know how to do certain tasks within the store. What experience did I have with managing or doing scheduling. What was my coaching techniques.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lakehurst, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Dollar General (Lakehurst, NJ) in November 2015.

Interview

The store manager called me asked me if I was still interested in the position &I told me the job was mine. I just had to come in so he could say that he interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• When I did get there for the "interview" he asked me if I would need any training and if I could close myself my first night !   Answer Question

Negotiation

Store manager said assistant store managers normally start with $10.00 per hour. I then went into all my experience in retail & retail management & asked for $14.00. He then proceeded to call the "DM" & said he got the o.k. to go $12.00. That was that & then when I got my review & raise it was only a 25 cents !

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Dollar General (Detroit, MI) in July 2015.

Interview

one on one, that's it, then the offer, which had to be accepted online. It was all very simple, no thrills.
    The interviewer was new to the retail world and the interview it self was somewhat painfully boring, as they only read off of a printed sheet. After the offer, I did not get a starting date for quite awhile, and the drug test was over an hour away from where I live....that should have been where I declined their offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation just an offer

Anonymous Employee in Troy, AL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dollar General (Troy, AL) in June 2015.

Interview

The District Manager interviewed me with series of two or three questions, the interview was very laid back. The store was in total disarray on the day of my interview. The air was out in the store making shopping very unpleasant for customers. Overall, I was very appreciative to have been offered the job assuming I would learn more about management and PROPER store procedures.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what my availability was.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my salary from $9/hr to 9.75/hr.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview

The manager asked me to describe myself to her and where I saw myself in 5 years.I told her I wanted to be in the Management and work my way up. This seemed to really please her and she said that was what she was waiting to hear.

Anonymous Employee in Royal, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General (Royal, AR) in March 2015.

Interview

I did not have to go through an Interview Process. Got an email with job offer, I accepted online, completed all paperwork via email, went and took drug test as the email directed, then received a call to come to work a few days later.

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dollar General (Miami, FL) in January 2015.

Interview

One interview with the district manager and her was very nice and very easy to talk too was a great the dm was very understanding and very smart man to hire me

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to be employed here   1 Answer