Dollar General Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 24, 2017

1.5

36 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

Talked about my previous employers, brief interview about my take on customer service and shrink. Manager talked about himself. We walked the store and talked about daily management tasks and 7day plan.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Dollar General

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dollar General in June 2017.

Interview

Extremely laid back. Store Manager was straight forward with you. He told you what a normal day is like with the duties of a Manager. He gave a brief tour around the store so you knew exactly what you are coming into.

Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dollar General (South Bend, IN) in April 2017.

Interview

I met with the store manager. She asked me about my availability, previous work- management experience. We also discussed pay rate and benefits. She told me what I would be doing and the hours that she would be scheduling me. It was a pretty simple interview. It is a standard interview process.

Interview Questions

• Are you looking for full time or part time?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Gulfport, MS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dollar General (Gulfport, MS) in March 2017.

Interview

Very simple process, interviewed first with manager then with the DM. Was hired had to submit drug screen and background check and wait for those to come back before I could start.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview

Had 30 min conversation with store mangaer regarding pst experience, customer service and experience in retail. Nothing very specific. Just easy and basic questions. They asked basic questions about shrink management and they try to see if you would be a good fit for the store. Smile and be confident in your answers.

Interview Questions

• How would you improve sales?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Landover, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dollar General (Landover, MD) in January 2017.

Interview

Did online app. Was called for interview, the day of interview I show up and the manager forgot about it wanted to reschedule but he did talk to me briefly while he was working. So we reschedule and guess what, the manager is not available to give me the interview as he is busy and I completely understand as this is not my first rodeo in retail. So I finally have a interview with manager and the DM . Everything goes well. Recieved my packet in email to do on boarding and drug screen and background check on a Wednesday, the following Monday I'm all set for Ready to work status. Today is Tuesday aND I haven't recieved a call with a start date.HR say management may have not seen the status change once the do I will get a call.

Negotiation

Negotiations was great. I would say I ask for one amount and was offered another amount . Now I'm feeling like it would not be enough budget to cover others but my work speaks for itself.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ponca City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dollar General (Ponca City, OK) in October 2016.

Interview

It went pretty well, except Store Manager, couldn't really make any eye contact. I am a big older woman but believe me, I do my work and I do it well. The age wasn't a factor, the manager looked older than myself. I finally got this interview after trying for 2 months to get one and I called the District Manager and asked about the reason one of the managers hadn't received my apps, when she told me what position to apply for. (not the manager I had the interview with) I knew DM's name and looked him up online. Got his phone number. I wasn't overstepping my bounds, I was handling a situation of needing to have an answer because I need a job. I guess I am paying for the intuitive work to try to secure my job with them. I messed up with them so don't try to fix it yourself. They retaliate and won't let you work for them. The store manager said it would be a week before she would know the answer for my interview. When I didn't hear from her in the afternoon at the end of the week I got a hold of her and she said that her and DM decided to promote within and not only did I not get the assistant manager position she called me for but was offered no other position they had opened

Interview Questions

• One question about a job scenario for the whole interview   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Powder Springs, Cobb, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General (Powder Springs, Cobb, GA) in July 2016.

Interview

I went on the interview, she asked me what I wanted to make and then sent me on the drug test the next day. I was hired within 2 weeks. I just decided to go with another company.

Interview Questions

• Do I know how to do certain tasks within the store. What experience did I have with managing or doing scheduling. What was my coaching techniques.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Monticello, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dollar General (Monticello, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

I talked with the store manager and she showed me the receiving room. There were not very many questions directed towards me. She was late getting there and I had to wait for her show up.

Interview Questions

• Honestly there was not many questions directed towards me.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Lakehurst, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Dollar General (Lakehurst, NJ) in November 2015.

Interview

The store manager called me asked me if I was still interested in the position &I told me the job was mine. I just had to come in so he could say that he interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• When I did get there for the "interview" he asked me if I would need any training and if I could close myself my first night !   Answer Question

Negotiation

Store manager said assistant store managers normally start with $10.00 per hour. I then went into all my experience in retail & retail management & asked for $14.00. He then proceeded to call the "DM" & said he got the o.k. to go $12.00. That was that & then when I got my review & raise it was only a 25 cents !