Dollar General Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 13, 2017

1.8

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Landover, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dollar General (Landover, MD) in January 2017.

Interview

Did online app. Was called for interview, the day of interview I show up and the manager forgot about it wanted to reschedule but he did talk to me briefly while he was working. So we reschedule and guess what, the manager is not available to give me the interview as he is busy and I completely understand as this is not my first rodeo in retail. So I finally have a interview with manager and the DM . Everything goes well. Recieved my packet in email to do on boarding and drug screen and background check on a Wednesday, the following Monday I'm all set for Ready to work status. Today is Tuesday aND I haven't recieved a call with a start date.HR say management may have not seen the status change once the do I will get a call.

Negotiation

Negotiations was great. I would say I ask for one amount and was offered another amount . Now I'm feeling like it would not be enough budget to cover others but my work speaks for itself.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dollar General (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in December 2016.

Interview

I like it the people was very nice an kind the boss was telling me about him and the store and I was also telling him about me very nice

Anonymous Employee in Terrell, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dollar General (Terrell, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

I put in the app about two weeks ago. She called me sooner but i had accidentally put my house number. So on Friday i went up there and i asked were they still hiring she said yes asked my my name and she told me she had called me previously but she hadnt heard anything back. So she said she put no interested on my app. Told me to go reapply i replied that day and called her after i did. She told me she could give me an interview on Monday at 9:30. I got there at 9:20 and she came and interviewed me. The interview was about an hour but because we were talking about general things at the end. She told me that i should get a employment packet in my email to fill out in the next 24 hours.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any retail experience if so tell me about it?   1 Answer
    • What does honesty mean to you?   1 Answer
    • Have you every dealt with a difficult customer? If so tell me about it?   1 Answer
    • How are you reliable?   1 Answer

Stocker/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Youngwood, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dollar General (Youngwood, PA) in December 2016.

Interview

I walked in with the interviewer and sat down for the interview. She asked me one question and then spent the rest of the time talking about the processes and what would happen if I was hired. The interview took about 10 minutes

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply to dollar general?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dollar General (Richmond, OH) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied on the weekend and it took a week to hear back. It takes a while for the manangers to be notified that you applied. There is a personality test with the application. the manager called and I went for the interview and was hired the same day.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dollar General (Brooklyn, WI) in December 2016.

Interview

Was told in quick interview with DM that it was the asst store manager position that I held at the store I was at and could transfer to the position immediately. I told him yes, but also told him that the job posting stated that it was for the general manager position, not asst.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General (Houston, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Spoke with Corporate recruiter, which was the most in-depth interview of the process. After that, it was with the Regional Director. The interview with the Regional was pretty laid back, he made me feel very comfortable, so things just flowed well from there. At the end of the interview, the job was mine if I wanted it. I did tell them I would get back to them, as I had another interview lined up, but ultimately came back to accept the offer from Dollar General. Overall, I felt the interview process was very thorough.

Interview Questions

• Causes of shrink? How to control shrink. Also some P&L questions.   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier/Stock Replenishment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Dollar General (Bakersfield, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Interview was very short and had two managers asking the questions. Was first interviewed by the store manager-very easy-told me I would make a good fit and to come back. Next interview was with the same manager and their manager. He had tougher questions and was more stern than other manager. At the end was told I would get a call if hired but not to feel bad if I didn't and there were more stores in town to apply at.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself.
      Do you know how to work the machines here?
      What is your past working experiences been like.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Leesburg, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dollar General (Leesburg, FL).

Interview

I applied online and was called for an interview about one month later . I conducted my interview online. Was hired to work for the company after my background check came back. The whole process took about two months

Interview Questions

• Availability and ability to work in a fast paced environment and to work well as a team and with the public   1 Answer

Human Resources Representative II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General (Scottsville, KY) in November 2016.

Interview

I had two phone interviews and an in person interview. One was with Corporate as a screening and then I was turned over to the HR Manager at the Distribution Center. The third was an onsite interview at the location speaking with everyone at the office and a short tour to show some of the processes.

Interview Questions

• What type of management strategy would you use for someone that you do not see on a regular basis?   1 Answer