Cover image for Dollar General

Engaged Employer

Add an Interview

Dollar General Retail Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jan 28, 2017

To filter interviews, or .
Found 16 of over 1.4K interviews

In Person13%
1.9
HardAverageEasy

Anonymous Employee in Hickory, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General (Hickory, NC) in Sep 2016

Interview

The District manager called me to set up an interview after having applied to numerous stores in the area. During the interview I was asked five or six basic retail questions pertaining to Merchandising, recovering, stocking, etc. Then, I was asked 5 to 10 Specific questions relating to experience and reports, data managment, and finance management. Conditional offer was made dependent upon drug screen, criminal background and credit worthiness checks.

Interview Questions
  • What is a P&L Statement and how is it used to track business trends from one measurement period to the next?
    Answer Question
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dollar General (Detroit, MI)

Interview

I had a 15 min interview with the district manager and was offered a job the next day contingent on passing background check and a drug test. I was called the next day and hired

Interview Questions
3 people found this interview helpful

What people are saying about Dollar General

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Anonymous Employee in Aztec, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General (Aztec, NM) in Feb 2016

Interview

The hiring process was very unorganized I had to reapply 3 times. To my surprise the interview was not very expensive for such an important position. The total time of my interview was about 15 to 20 minutes when we are told in our training that we should interview assistant managers for at least 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
  • Do you love to win or hate to lose?

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dollar General (Charlotte, NC)

Interview

quick interview with the DM, then had to drove an hour to meet with the regional manager on another date...was asked a ton of questions not all relative to the position in which i was applying....after that i went and spoke to a manger about the position to see if it was something i would want to do, he told me to run for the hills...

Interview Questions
  • how do you handle irate customers
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dollar General (Rochester, NY) in Aug 2015

Interview

I got a call from the corporate office for an initial phone screening to assess the validity of my application and knowledge. I then was contacted by 3 area District Managers who all set up an interview buti was offer the position on the 1st one. The District Manager was very professional, polite and knowledgable. I knew right away I wanted to work for her.

Interview Questions
  • How well can you interpret a P&L report. What other experience do you have using this tool.

Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General (Little Rock, AR) in Nov 2014

Interview

The interview process was easy. I met with the store manager and was hired as an assistant manager on the spot. Not long after, I met the district manager during a store visit and she asked me a few questions about my retail experience and my career goals. She offered me a store of my own but I waited until I had been with the company for three months before I agreed to take on that responsibility.

Interview Questions
  • They were interested in my past retail experience and my work availability.

Anonymous Employee in Hazleton, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dollar General (Hazleton, PA) in Mar 2014

Interview

Very brief interview. However, it was an overall positive experience. They told me about the job and then showed me around. I was interviewed by the district manager who was very friendly and polite.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dollar General (Iowa City, IA) in Jan 2014

Interview

I was interviewed for an assistant manager position, 2 weeks after the interview I was thrown into trying to learn store manere position, as our manager left. The initial interview was fairly easy, but I had prior experience in management, it was the long wait to get the position.

Interview Questions
  • Do you have any experience in management

Anonymous Employee in Mountain Grove, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General (Mountain Grove, MO) in Sep 2013

Interview

Did two interviews in person, online personality test, and one online skill set test. Background check took two weeks to process. Took a week between the first interview before I had the second interview. The interview process was very friendly and one on one. The job duties was explained in detail along with the expectations.

Interview Questions
  • How would I handle a situation if I witnessed a fellow employee steeling from the register.

Dollar General

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Dollar General in Jul 2013

Interview

Not exptensive at all. co. looks very disorganized in their push into California. looking for Drones to execute their programs. Basically told me were not paying you too think.....

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 16 Interviews