Dollar General Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 17, 2017

2.3

149 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dollar General (Bakersfield, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Telephone interview still waiting to hear back 10 days later. Phone interview weird due to very large Company. Hope to hear something back next week. My info waa passed from the recruiter to the District Manager in my area.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Dollar General

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview

If I remember right, my application had no response until I accidentally met the district manager. Then, I had an interview by a store manager and then an interview by district manager.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Dollar General?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Dollar General (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I had a phone interview with recruiter, then i met with dm and her 2 training store managers, it was a nice easy interview then i was called by the regional manager and talked for about 10 mins..

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Show Low, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dollar General (Show Low, AZ) in June 2017.

Interview

The DG Employee Recruiter was friendly and courteous. She asked questions that were design to determine whether or not my experience and skill levels matched up with DG's need for the Store Manager position.

Interview Questions

• How would you increase product sales?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General (New York, NY).

Interview

Talent acquisition representative contacted me by e-mail. Had phone interview with her. 2nd interview with District Manager & 3rd interview with Regional Manager. Very in-depth conversations on team leadership, freight control, sales, shrink, bonuses, merchandising, my expectations & experience in retail management. Offered position-Then on-boarding email with drug screening & background check.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Dollar General (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

We talked about my degree, studies, courses, and experience.
    They want to know a lot about how you view people.; customers, associates, etc.
    I spoke to a person in recruiting, loss prevention, then the Regional VP.
    They all really focused on people skills more than anything else.

Interview Questions

• What do you think separates you from other candidates we are talking to?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Harvey, LA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dollar General (Harvey, LA) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process was not up to my liking. The 1st interview was a job fair that I was invited to but the interviews were one-on-one with 1 person (the District Manager), which meant you just had to sit there and wait your time. I sat for a hour and a 1/2 before I had my interview. I didn't hear anything for 2 weeks before I receive a phone call from the DM asking me if I can do a phone interview with his boss the RM the next day. The interview with the RM went awesome. She was a very pleasant person. The 3rd was a walk through or a particular store and we kinda just had to sell ourselves on what we would do to that store if we became the SM. The part was different because I had never been in that type of interview, but I'm not complaining about it. I actually enjoyed it. The real problem came when that offered me the job. The initial offer was significantly lower than what I originally asked for and was told that is the best they can do. I said fine but quickly started to regret it and was thinking of declining the offer. I was told I would hear from them in a couple of days but turned out not hearing from them for another week. That alone made me uneasy because I had already put my notice in at my current job. I then was contacted and giving a different salary offer which was higher than the original offer but still about 4k lower than what I asked for. My initial feeling was appreciation and gratitude but now I realized what happened. They played chess with me and I lost. I'm sure now that they could have just offered me what I wanted from the beginning. Never the less I accepted the offer and I will prove my worth to my new boss. After 12 months I will ask for a significant raise and If not granted, I will move on.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview

I have been with the company for over 5 years. I recently opted to choose a demotion, as Assistant store manger. This job was presented to me, I was asked to submit an application, did a phone interview 3 days later, and was offered the job 2 days later

Interview Questions

• I was asked who I'd handle different scenarios, should they arise.   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview

The interview process started with a phone interview as the first interview. Then if selected the last interview was a store walk through and in person interview. The first interviewer asked background questions then asked interview style questions. Such as, "where does most of a companies loss come from?" And "what is your style of managing?

Interview Questions

• What percentage of shrink does the store try to stay below?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied on line, Phone interview with Corp HR, Phone interview with District Manger, face to face interview with the District Manager. Same old basic tell me about a time ...questions

Interview Questions

• None same ol same ol questions   1 Answer