Dollar General Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 13, 2017

2.2

160 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General (Peoria, IL).

Interview

You have a phone interview with the recruiter, a face to face interview with the DM, then a phone interview with the RD. If it is a high shrink store you will also have to do a phone interview with the RD of LP.

Interview Questions

• What does customer service mean to you   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Dollar General

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview

Was told reg mgr would call for 2nd interview. Never heard back. DM told me why prev mgr was fired and also neg. things about specific store mgrs in their district.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dollar General (Louisville, KY).

Interview

I've never been on an interview where the interviewer did nothing but badmouth the company he works for the whole time. But at least he was honest, right? He told me what a terribly managed company Dollar General is. He told me one store manager was robbed at gunpoint and they tied her up in the bathroom. He said most managers work six days a week and work at least 10 hour days because you have no help. He said the turnover rate is extremely high you may have someone work three days and then quit on you! He told me that they have an incredible amount of theft and there's not really anything you can do about it. They have a quarterly bonus based on shrink but that is pretty much impossible to get since the theft is so high! This company is about as bare bones as you can get. This idiot did not even call me back to offer me the job. He should have been on his hands and knees begging me to work there since I was so overqualified for the job, but of course I would have told him Hell No!! Not worth the salary for all of the headaches and to have your personal safety put at risk!

Interview Questions

• What do you like about working in retail?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General (Tampa, FL).

Interview

Very brief. First there was a test, then a phone interview, then a local interview then another local interview. Walked around the store to review the processes and ask questions. Then met at Starbucks to meet with the RVP who just asked If I had any questions and if I wanted a coffee. Then said someone will call you.

Interview Questions

• Sense of urgency in freight flow.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dollar General (Orlando, FL) in October 2017.

Interview

About Sales and service and how long i been in retail and how many people and where am i from and what i did before.How long have i moved to FL AND IS MY RETAIL move in 5 years

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jonesboro, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dollar General (Jonesboro, AR) in October 2017.

Interview

A recruiter called me first then the district manager called and interviewed me over the phone. We were suppose to meet but he forgot to send me the address. He acted like it was no big deal.

Interview Questions

• How do you motivate someone?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General (Tulsa, OK) in September 2017.

Interview

I had originally applied for a Store Manager position. I have 9 years of experience to qualify for that position. I ended up being offered a PT Lead Sales Associate position. Not at all satisfied with their "process".

Interview Questions

• They asked me if I was comfortable being around the homeless people living behind the store and how good I was with internal and external shrinkage because it is a serious problem for them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General (Gainesville, FL) in September 2017.

Interview

First there's an assessment test, If you pass there's an HR call with structured questions, if you do well with that there is a Regional Manager Call. Keep in mind all of the policies, processes, paper work, 7 day work flow of the company and you will do great. Your DM will contact you when all of the following are completed.

Interview Questions

• Assessment Test Questions they're all agree/ disagree.   1 Answer
    • The HR call: Very structured questions all with things you already know. Example:
      How do you do a planogram?
      What is the policy on Cell phones at work?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dollar General (Bakersfield, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Telephone interview still waiting to hear back 10 days later. Phone interview weird due to very large Company. Hope to hear something back next week. My info waa passed from the recruiter to the District Manager in my area.

Store Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General in September 2017.

Interview

Got a call from recruiter about job and told me how to reply. Applied and waited for a call saying they wanted to move forward. Had a couple phone calls with lower level people in hiring who were really only wanting to know if I had experience hiring or firing. Then I spoke to the next level person who asked if I had fired/hired anyone and told me more about the company...pay benefits, stores etc. He said he would tell the DM about me and wait for him to call. The DM called and we had a good convo about my background, again asked if I had fired/hired anyone. He said he would love to meet in person for an interview and we set up a time. I met him at a local store, he was really late and no one knew I was supposed to be there. He eventually showed and we sat down for five minutes so he could tell me that this wasn’t an actual interview and that he just wanted to meet in person and again asked if I had hired/fired anyone before. That was it and he said he thought I would be a good co manager and would give me a call about that. Never heard back

Interview Questions

• Have you hired or fired anyone...this is the only thing they care about   Answer Question