Dollar Tree Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Dollar Tree Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2017

1.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Everett, PA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dollar Tree (Everett, PA) in October 2011.

Interview

Basically told that you have to wear a green shirt and black pants and will only get paid $7.35 an hour and if you leave you should give 2 weeks notice. I was told that everyone leaves because you only get $7.35 an hour and it you want more money, that is the only way to do it. Apparently there are no pay increases ever unless the minimum wage goes up.

Cashier/Seasonal Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dollar Tree in December 2010.

Interview

The interview was very simple and fast. It lasted all of 10 minutes and was done standing in an isle helping the manager stock supplies. All I was asked was how well can I handle money, can I work fast, what hours can I work, and how patient am I.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar Tree in May 2011.

Interview

A new store was building in the county and it started out as a one on one interview. Afterwards we had to read information online about the company, met with the hiring manager to register a username and a password, shifts to pass the temporary position, finally passed.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience with fittings in sewing?   1 Answer

Store Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dollar Tree in July 2011.

Interview

I applied to a Dollar Tree store, and it took them more than a year to get back to me about it. I got a phone call one day, asking me if I was still looking for a job. I went in for the interview, and got the position right on the spot. I was not asked any difficult questions. The only questions asked were about my availability and my ability to stock merchandise. Neither one of these things were a problem.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You are not able to negotiate anything. Store Associates make minimum wage(at least at the store I work at), and that's it.

Sales Floor Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dollar Tree (Richmond, MI) in September 2011.

Interview

Quick 15 minute interview. Got hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dollar Tree in September 2010.

Interview

My interview was under 30 minutes. I got hired on the spot.
    I was asked basic questions about my past experiences in retail, and how I thought items should be organized on shelf: Labels facing towards customers or not? See...very basic common sense.
    And the usual, tell me about yourself...
    It was not hard at all; you can ace this interview with a little effort.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Everything's $1. So, of course I didn't expect more than 8.00 p/h.
    Every 8 things sold help pay your hourly salary. .

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dollar Tree in April 2012.

Interview

It was very easy. I just filled an application online, went into the store and gave it to the manager. She told me to call back in a week and I did, and I was lucky enough to get the job because two other cashiers quit and I had very good availability.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how to use a cash register? Stock items/take inventory?   Answer Question
    • Are you okay with being paid minimum wage?   Answer Question
    • Are you willing to drive to the bank after hours to drop off the deposit?   Answer Question
    • Will you work holidays such as Easter, Mother's Day?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate what days I could take off for school. Not pay however, you will only be paid minimum wage.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ashland, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dollar Tree (Ashland, OH) in April 2012.

Interview

I applied, got the interview, was hired, and started work all within 3 days of each other.

Negotiation

n/a

Anonymous Employee in Chesterfield, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dollar Tree (Chesterfield, MO) in April 2009.

Interview

There was no real interview. It was actually more of a more detailed job description in which the hiring manager gave me a tour and introduced me to some of the staff. I did all the paperwork that day and started working within two days. I didn't even have to have a social security card right away for the background check, but I did have to provide it three days later. Also, there was no drug test as that was probably a good thing for the rest of the employees because I bet half of the employees would have failed it.

Interview Questions

• The pay is only $7.05 per hour, which is minimum wage. Would this be a problem for you?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any days that you need off for school?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation as it was for a minimum wage position ($7.05 per hour). I took it more out of desperation due to the fact that it was in April of 2009 and there were no other jobs I applied to that called me back.

Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dollar Tree (Stockton, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

Wasn't much of an interview. If they called you in you were most likely hired on the spot unless they did not like your appearance. My store manager is big on first impressions and he bases it off of appearance. Just come in to the interview well dressed and clean looking. They pretty much just tell you what their expectations are of you and the dress code and add you onto their system. You'll be working in a matter of 2 days or less after that.

Interview Questions

• There was honestly no questions asked. Other than are you available to work mornings, nights, weekends, and holidays.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They do not negotiate unless you are going in as management. All associates get minimum wage.