Dollar Tree Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 17, 2017

1.7

Assistant Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Loves Park, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dollar Tree (Loves Park, IL) in July 2012.

Interview

The district manager called me at 10:00 am and I was at the store for the interview at 1:00 am. He was very friendly and liked to talk a lot. However, within fifteen minutes I figured out that the "asst. mgr. trainee" position was a smoke screen to hire part-time workers for cashiering, stock, etc. He then said that since I was hired with the assumption of being a manager candidate, he would be keeping a close eye on me to make sure I worked hard and went above and beyond to get the job done just to make sure I was manager material. When i asked about hours he said 5-20 hours a week. I then asked about wages, and he said that even though minimum wage was $8.35 he would give me $9.00 because of my education and experience. HE JUST OFFERED A PERSON WITH A MASTERS DEGREE IN EDUCATION .65 ABOVE MINIMUM WAGE!! However, I went on Glassdoor prior to the interview and it turns out that was their hiring base pay. There was no asst. manager job to be had. All they wanted was hard working part time employees which is fine, but not for an educated and experienced person who goes in for a management position. He didn't even ask me any questions because I asked all the questions. He did an excellent job of promoting his role in the business and how great it was to work there.

Interview Questions

• He didn't ask questions. He just tooted his own horn and bragged about how great it was to work the company.   Answer Question

I declined it because I went in for an Asst. Mgr. job which is what was advertised. However, it was a smoke screen for part-time work at minimum wage.

Anonymous Employee in Camby, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dollar Tree (Camby, IN) in April 2011.

Interview

I walked in and filled out an application and was hired 2 days later.

Interview Questions

• People most offen want to know if we sell tires, latters, spray paint, or shoes. I'm just surprised that people would think a dollar store would carry these items.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The manager asked if I wanted to be a cashier and I said yes.

PT Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dollar Tree (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2012.

Interview

Very easy, they hired me and all they did was tell me about the company.

Anonymous Employee in Turnersville, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dollar Tree (Turnersville, NJ) in December 2008.

Interview

The process was pretty simple. I walked in and asked for an application in which I filled it out and returned it at the store. I got a call back and was asked to interview. The interview was one-on-one with the store manager. The manager asked pretty simple and straight-forward questions such as, "Tell me about yourself?" and "Why do you want to work here?". They ask for your availability schedule and prefer someone who can also work on the weekends. The interview was okay and not too stressful.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation in salary. Base rate at minimum wage.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dollar Tree (Houston, TX) in January 2012.

Interview

applied in store and the store manager called me within 3 days and scheduled an interview. Went to the interview and hired at the spot, hthe manager was a hispanic with an accent! Lol the store seemed messy and the atmosphere was null...

Interview Questions

• They told me that the most the company pays a cashier is $7.35! :( i needed the job so i accept it! (Bad decision, so not worth it!)   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation! They dont leave u any other option.

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dollar Tree (Orlando, FL) in May 2010.

Interview

I applied by turning in a paper application to the manager. I was contacted by the manager for the interview. At the interview, the manager was friendly and asked me to tell him about myself. Then he offered me the position.

Negotiation

This is what we pay (minimum wage); no room for negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Lorton, VA

Application

I interviewed at Dollar Tree (Lorton, VA) in October 2010.

Interview

I actually never had to go through the interview process because the manager, who was later fired, only requested I give her my application and come back in when she gets off vacation to start training.

Interview Questions

• As stated above, I did not have a formal interview to get my position.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. $7.35 is base pay.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dollar Tree (Fort Collins, CO).

Interview

I submit an application, then I came in for an interview and put in a physical application. I waited to have a background check come in, and a few days later I was offered the position. Easy.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation possible.

Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dollar Tree (Livonia, MI) in September 2011.

Interview

It went very smoothly and very fast, they were very professional and just asked the standard questions of " why do you think you'd make a good contribution to our team?", stuff like that.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saranac Lake, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Dollar Tree (Saranac Lake, NY).

Interview

To get hired, all I needed to do was submit application and conduct follow-up phone calls and visits. Interview process was only a brief conversation with the store manager. Less than 1 hour interview length.