Dow Chemical Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 22, 2017

2.9

Research Scientist - Materials Science Core R&D Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freeport, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dow Chemical (Freeport, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I was initially interviewed by two employees at the same time on campus. It went well and I was invited to interview with the Materials Science Core R&D group in Freeport, TX. Upon arriving in Freeport, I checked into my hotel (a few minutes away from the building that I interviewed in) and was taken to dinner by one of the group member. I had a full schedule for the day of the interview (7 am to 3:30 pm), including breakfast and lunch with a host who is a part of the group. I gave a ~45 min presentation with 15 min of Q&A to the group on-site, while others listened in via phone and internet. Afterwards, I had 5 back-to-back interviews (~45 min) with members (1:1) of the group and discussed various aspects of the job. Every group member was kind, enthusiastic, and curious about my work, background, etc. and had good things to say about working for Dow. After the interviews concluded, I was told that I would hear back soon and was driven back to my hotel. I received an email from their HR department informing me that I did not receive an offer of employment. Overall, it was a very enjoyable and beneficial experience for me.

Interview Questions

• We offer two tracks for Core R&D: Manager and Fellow. Which do you see yourself choosing? What leadership experience do you have?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time that you had trouble working with a colleague. What happened? Have you ever collaborated on a project? Only in your immediate research group, university, country?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever missed a deadline? If so, how did you resolve it?   Answer Question
    • What experience do you have with securing funding, marketing new ideas, and dealing with failure? What's the most creative contribution that you've made on a research project?   Answer Question
    • If you started a research lab right now, what areas of research would you pursue? Long term and short term research goals?   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Chemical (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Got an on campus interview after applying through university. The process took approximately 2 weeks. Got asked basic behavioral questions. The interviewer was typing the whole time when I was speaking. The lack of interaction made it hard to answer the questions. Some questions were repetitive.

R&D Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dow Chemical in October 2016.

Interview

Interviewed through a campus recruiting event. About a 45 minute one on one interview with recruiter. First gave a brief presentation of my research then discussed it. There wasn't enough time to go into details of research. Mostly standard behavioral questions after that- your working style, approaches to challenges, etc.

Commercial Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midland, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dow Chemical (Midland, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

Interviewed on-campus (UT) with alumni at the company. Wined + Dined. Then I went to a super day in Midland, MI. It was a group interview with two other candidate and a couple of interviewers, all int he same room. They asked generate fit questions, sales experiences, learning experiences, etc. However they asked the same question to all of us in different orders. If you have never done a group interview with other candidates, this interview may feel weird.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to face a difficult team member + what did you do + outcome   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dow Chemical (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

I went to a campus fair and obtain the campus interview opportunity.
    After this, I have to pass phone interview and on-site interview after four weeks.
    The on-site interview is taken about 1 day with 5-6 persons.

Interview Questions

• Q: tell me about your research works   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dow Chemical.

Interview

Submit resume online, on-campus interview with standard type of behavioral questions, received verbal offer, about two weeks later received official acceptance letter. Easy process, very easygoing people, had no trouble with any part of the process.

Interview Questions

• What is a challenge you've faced during a previous work experience?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Dow Chemical (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

I had a group interview with two managers. The majority of the interview included behavioral based questions. The interviewers were pleasant and personable. The interview went well. It seemed they worked in a fast paced environment and had a good sized team (>20). The questions were related to your ability to handle pressure, customer service skills, and interpersonal skills in the office.

Interview Questions

• Behavior based questions related to customer service and the ability to handle pressure.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dow Chemical (Ann Arbor, MI) in September 2016.

Interview

I had two on site interviews, both behavioral. Discussed my experience and about the company. I got an offer with out a formal technical interview. The process was very simple. Both interviews were at the university so I did not have to go on site. Once I got the offer I went on site to meet all the developers and discuss what kind of projects I would be working on.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dow Chemical (Houston, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

This is a on-campus interview. The interview lasts around 45 minutes. The interviewer is an associate director from R&D department. The whole process is really nice. It starts talking about my program and research and follows by several common behavioral questions, such as teamwork, leadership and conflict situation. Have not been noticed about the result.

Interview Questions

• How did you start your research?
      What is your most innovative part in your research?
      Answer Question

Senior Research Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Dow Chemical in September 2016.

Interview

On campus interview for PhD engineering students.
    The recruiter asked only the behavior questions focus on collaboration, conflict, leadership, research creativity and weaknesses. They said it would take 3-4 weeks for the final decision.

Interview Questions

• Describe one time that you initiated a collaboration,
      How did you sell your research?
      Answer Question