Dow Jones Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 2, 2017

56 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Content Information Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

It was a brief phone conversation with HR to go over the job requirements and what's involved.

Moving from that stage, there was a phone interview with the manager and director of the content group. This stage involves going over the resume in depth, and the main points of the job. With questions from both sides, it lasted from 30-45 minutes.

Afterward, there was an in person interview with the manager and director again. This was a very in depth but natural conversation about previous work experiences with questions covering various scenarios. Lasted about 1-1 1/2 hours.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you experienced a failure in your previous job.   Answer Question

Research Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ) in May 2017.

Interview

I had an initial phone call with someone in HR that lasted about 10 minutes, and was fairly simple. Then I had a second call with someone in the department, which was also straightforward. She asked me about my background and what interested me in the position. Then she said that she would like to schedule an in-person interview in the next week. I went in one week later, and the interview lasted about two hours, 1.5 hours for a research and writing test, and .5 hours of interviewing with 2 people. It was straightforward. I haven't heard back yet.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had a different opinion than a co-worker.   Answer Question

Research Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied for the job about 4.5 weeks ago and got a response from the hiring recruiter a week after I had applied. (I would say around March 22nd was when I submitted my application). I had a phone call with the recruiter that lasted around 15 minutes asking me general questions on my resume and my skill set and he had then recommended me to speak with hiring manager(s) the following week over the phone.
    The hiring managers came about 1.5 hours late after the scheduled phone conversation which I was ok about; but only 1 out of the two names mentioned spoke with me. It was again general questions about my resume, why I applied for the position etc. The individual then suggested me to the final round of the interview process which is an in person interview with a research test after.
    I am grateful that they were able to accommodate me on short notice. In the in person interview, it was with the hiring manager and another individual asking me in-depth resume questions and questions of my background + job scenario questions. The research test took around 1.5 hours to complete.
    They said the hiring process would be quick from there but it's been two weeks since I've gotten a legitimate response. I've contacted the hiring recruiter in regards to this and the individual had mentioned the two people who are to give the final decision were out of town last week and are catching up on emails...
    UPDATE:
    After over 2 weeks (the total process being one month) -- I received a mail from my hiring recruiter apologizing for the delay and stating they extended the offer to another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your past experience as an editor?
      What kind of research tools have you used?   Answer Question

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, we spent an hour on the phone and was told a Video interview would be the second round. Second interview went well in my POV but you never really know what the other person is thinking. Anyway, I've followed up 3 times with no response. Being an HR professional, this is terrible behavior and its part of the reason why folks hate HR. The recruiter said "please feel free to reach out to me at any point during the interview process as ill be your main POC"

Clearly he was lying. It seems DJ needs to restructure their recruitment team the way they're restructuring their HR group.

Abysmal experience from a reputable name. Its been 3 weeks and still no response.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Series of interviews with hiring leader and others on the team. Mostly behavioral interview questions, some drilling into specific skills and experiences. Interview process seemed a little junior to the position but not crazy. After about three weeks and four interviews was told the division head would be the next, and presumably final, meeting. After that...radio silence. Neither the hiring leader nor HR ever closed the loop. More than six weeks later one final email got a response. Turns out they lost funding for the role. I was asked if I would consider a part time consulting role instead of the FT director job. Felt very unprofessional. Yuck.

Interview Questions

• Range of behavior questions ("tell me about a time when..." and skills.   Answer Question

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones in November 2015.

Interview

It started with a screening interview with HR recruiter. Then I had a Google Hangout interview with two hiring managers. The interview was friendly with behavioral questions. Be sure to prepare some stories about your successes that demonstrate your strengths.

Interview Questions

• What recent professional accomplishment are you most proud of?   Answer Question

Tax Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied for the job on a Friday and the following Thursday someone from the HR department called me saying my background looked good and that the manager wanted to set up a phone interview with me as well. I spoke with him the next day and a few hours later the girl from HR said the manager and director of the department wanted to meet with me the following Wednesday. I was there with the manager for an hour and I was waiting to speak to the director before the manager told me she was away on business. I thanked him for meeting with me but unfortunately he never gave me a business card. I sent the girl from HR a thank you email and a following email and she never answered. I think that is a little rude. It's been almost 3 weeks and I still haven't heard a word from the company. I wish they could at least answer an email.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monmouth Junction, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Monmouth Junction, NJ) in August 2015.

Interview

Basic technical phone interview followed by an in person interview at their office with a technical employee and manager. Technical questions were similar to phone interview, manager pressed fairly about previous experience with projects. Employees were friendly and helpful during the interview, but two weeks since have not gotten back to me about the offer.

Interview Questions

• Given the hour and minute, find the smaller angle between the minute hand and hour hand on a 12 hour analogue clock.   1 Answer

Research Editor, Special Lists Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monmouth Junction, NJ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Monmouth Junction, NJ) in July 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen, and then two days later I was contacted about an in-person interview for the following week. For the in-person interview, one person was on a video conference from London, and the other manager was in the room with me. Most of the interview wasn’t too difficult. They seemed turned off by the fact that my jobs had been contract roles, but I informed the recruiter of that in the phone screen. I was told I would find out in two weeks. I waited two weeks, and I didn’t hear anything. I then emailed the hr recruiter about my status, but she didn’t respond to my email.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked with a sensitive person?

Discuss a time when a co-worker frustrated you.

To end the interview, I was asked to tell them three things about me that I haven't discussed so far in the interview that would help them in determining if they should hire me.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Got a call from HR to schedule an interview. Went to the midtown office for the interview which lasted 30 minutes and went wonderful. At the end of the interview I asked when I should expect a call to know if I got the position and was told it would be a week. It's been a month now and still no word on the status. I've called the HR recruiter multiple times yet no response. Very disappointed in the way things are being handled as I'm still waiting for a decision after 4+ weeks