Dow Jones Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 18, 2017

2.9

Content Information Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

It was a brief phone conversation with HR to go over the job requirements and what's involved.

Moving from that stage, there was a phone interview with the manager and director of the content group. This stage involves going over the resume in depth, and the main points of the job. With questions from both sides, it lasted from 30-45 minutes.

Afterward, there was an in person interview with the manager and director again. This was a very in depth but natural conversation about previous work experiences with questions covering various scenarios. Lasted about 1-1 1/2 hours.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you experienced a failure in your previous job.   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

I found the job posting online. Submitted my information. Got an automated response saying they received the application and a recruiter would reach out should their be a match.

Got a call a few days later asking why the interest in the role. Got scheduled for an in person interview at the office. Spoke with two supervisors and the Head of Global Customer Service.

Received a call from HR a few days later and advised they wanted to make and offer and to check my email for the paperwork that needed to be filled. From application to offer letter, the process took 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle stress?
      Tell us about a time you disagreed with your direct report?
      What do you know about our products?
      What was the best customer service experience you have personally had?
      Tell us about a time you made a bad judgment call?
      Answer Question

Research Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ) in May 2017.

Interview

I had an initial phone call with someone in HR that lasted about 10 minutes, and was fairly simple. Then I had a second call with someone in the department, which was also straightforward. She asked me about my background and what interested me in the position. Then she said that she would like to schedule an in-person interview in the next week. I went in one week later, and the interview lasted about two hours, 1.5 hours for a research and writing test, and .5 hours of interviewing with 2 people. It was straightforward. I haven't heard back yet.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had a different opinion than a co-worker.   Answer Question

Research Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied for the job about 4.5 weeks ago and got a response from the hiring recruiter a week after I had applied. (I would say around March 22nd was when I submitted my application). I had a phone call with the recruiter that lasted around 15 minutes asking me general questions on my resume and my skill set and he had then recommended me to speak with hiring manager(s) the following week over the phone.
    The hiring managers came about 1.5 hours late after the scheduled phone conversation which I was ok about; but only 1 out of the two names mentioned spoke with me. It was again general questions about my resume, why I applied for the position etc. The individual then suggested me to the final round of the interview process which is an in person interview with a research test after.
    I am grateful that they were able to accommodate me on short notice. In the in person interview, it was with the hiring manager and another individual asking me in-depth resume questions and questions of my background + job scenario questions. The research test took around 1.5 hours to complete.
    They said the hiring process would be quick from there but it's been two weeks since I've gotten a legitimate response. I've contacted the hiring recruiter in regards to this and the individual had mentioned the two people who are to give the final decision were out of town last week and are catching up on emails...
    UPDATE:
    After over 2 weeks (the total process being one month) -- I received a mail from my hiring recruiter apologizing for the delay and stating they extended the offer to another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your past experience as an editor?
      What kind of research tools have you used?
      Answer Question

Human Resources Rotation Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

First, an online application including paper and video. The second step, phone interview. The third step, one-way video interview. Fourth step, in-person interview with other finalists. Once the phone interview happened it was a very fast process. They fly you out to NY and put you up.

Interview Questions

• Favorite book; why dow jones; how previous experience would help you in this position   Answer Question

Data Strategy Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

Round one is a phone interview. The phone call should last about 15-30 min. Basic questions, the recruiter just wants to know more about you. Round 2 is in the office

Interview Questions

• Why finance (my major)? Why is data important? What is data and how does it affect us? What do you know about Dow jones?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY).

Interview

They require a video submission, an essay, and multiple interviews. Be prepared to put effort into your application. This is not a position that you can submit your resume and tweak a generic cover letter for. The actual interview questions are pretty standard, but it takes a while to get to that point.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing about you that separates you from the other applicants?   Answer Question

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, we spent an hour on the phone and was told a Video interview would be the second round. Second interview went well in my POV but you never really know what the other person is thinking. Anyway, I've followed up 3 times with no response. Being an HR professional, this is terrible behavior and its part of the reason why folks hate HR. The recruiter said "please feel free to reach out to me at any point during the interview process as ill be your main POC"

Clearly he was lying. It seems DJ needs to restructure their recruitment team the way they're restructuring their HR group.

Abysmal experience from a reputable name. Its been 3 weeks and still no response.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Dow Jones (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Got contacted 3 months after my application. Had 2 rounds of interviews, both on the phone. Normal interview questions, mostly about resume and behavioural. Pretty conversational, it was great.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Simple and conversational interview. Definitely seemed like they just wanted to ensure competence and fit. About 15 minutes over Google Hangout. HR made the hiring process rather stress-free and enjoyable compared to others

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in finance?   1 Answer