Dow Jones Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 17, 2017

57 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Technical Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY).

Interview

Contacted by email first, exchanged with a few emails, took an online interview where coding test played the majority role. The questions were very difficult for non-top-coders. Completed the first question with great difficulty, then failed at the second one. It should be a genuine position for professional programmers and I have a lot of respect for that.

Interview Questions

• Why is your solution better than others would think of   1 Answer

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

The guy calls and there is not a single word of hi or hello, directly jumped on to technical questions. I couldn't last for 5 minutes...

Customer Service Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ) in May 2015.

Interview

A recruiter called and set up a phone interview. After the phone interview went well, I was invited for a very long in person interview. It was about 5 people you had to have separate interviews asking the same exact questions. At the end you had to met with another person for some sort of ridiculous personality assessment. The whole thing was aggravating due to the long process for such a low paying position.

Technology Showcase Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

2013.10.24 Online Application
    2013.10.28 Interview Invitation via Email from HR followed by HireVue
    2013.10.30 Digital Interview (50 minutes) with the following quesitons

1. Multiple Choice - Choose a location to work. (3 min)
    2. Video - Use an example to explain the lifecycle of HTTP request & response. (3 min)
    3. Essay - Programming (40 min)
    Most people have adopted the decimal number system which has ten symbols (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9). There are other number systems like binary, hex and octal. Your job is to convert a hex number into a musical number. What is a musical number you might ask? It’s something we invented. Keep reading.
    The Hex alphabet contains 16 symbols: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f
    The Musical alphabet contains 12 symbols: A,A#,B,C,C#,D,D#,E,F,F#,G,G# (# is pronounced 'sharp' so 'A#' is pronounced 'A-sharp', 'C#' is 'C-sharp' and so on)
    Your program should validate input (make sure input is a hex number i.e. it is in base-16) and convert it to a number represented by the musical alphabet (base-12). Your program should output the musical number OR an error string "Input is not valid Hex" if the input is not valid hex.
    Sample inputs & outputs:
              Input:9, Output:F#
              Input:dead, Output:BFG#GD
              Input:feedface, Output:F#G#C#C#C#A#AA#B
    ***You may write the program in any language you wish, just make a note at the top of the answer page letting us know which one you chose.

Technology Showcase Event! Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

1. Online Application - 10/24/2013
    2. Interview Invitation via Email from HR followed by HireVue - 10/28/2013
    3. Digital Interview - 10/30/2013 - 50 min

Interview Questions

• Four Interview Questions
      1. Multiple Choice - Choose a location to work. (3 min)

3. Essay - Programming (40 min)
      The Hex alphabet contains 16 symbols: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f

Sample inputs & outputs:
                Input:9, Output:F#
                Input:dead, Output:BFG#GD
                Input:feedface, Output:F#G#C#C#C#A#AA#B

4. Video - Please explain the thought process behind your answer to the previous question. (3 min)   Answer Question

Service Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones in August 2010.

Interview

Lengthy and thorough but overall very fair. Everyone in the process had a reason to be involved in the process and were genuinely interested in bringing in the right candidate.

Interview Questions

• What are your greatest Strengths   1 Answer

Product Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in July 2010.

Interview

The Interview starts out with a phone interview, normal usual interview questions. The next step is a "Virtual Interview", they sent me a web cam and I had to go to a website to answer Interview questions. Its also timed. The questions were a bit odd. Some of the questions include:
    1. What do you know about Dow jones?
    2. Favorite cartoon character?
    3. If you could go back in time where would you go?
    4. What did you want to be when you were a child?

Just a few I remembered, I think there were about 16 questions.
     Hope this helps.

Customer Value Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Atlanta, GA) in August 2009.

Interview

Initial interview was by phone. Took about 45 minutes. Detailed questions made by personable interviewer whose job it was to screen the first group of prospects who had either been referred by a current employee or had applied online through the company's career site. Second interview was by phone with the hiring manager. Very professional and polished demeanor. She had a much better idea of what the job would actually entail on a day-to-day basis than did the initial screener and in-house recruiter. Job was actually much different than what the company web site had described. Each interviewer allowed me to connect with them via LinkedIn, thus I had a much better idea of their backgrounds and career progression before we had our in-depth conversations. This was quite helpful in the process to assess the quality of Dow Jones employees and their usage of social media in a professional setting. People who work there seem very smart and driven. The economic downturn coupled with the downward slide of the publishing industry have made Dow Jones an even more competitive place to work. The third interview was an in-person interview where the hiring manager flew into town to spend an hour with each candidate during a two-day screening process. The next round of interviews for the finalists consisted of an online presentation made by the candidates to the hiring manager and another person at the vice president level. The company took three weeks after my last interview to contact me by email about my ultimate status in the process.

Interview Questions

• Describe in detail your most notable accomplishment when you were able to persuade a reluctant co-worker to change his/her mind about a business objective. How did you achieve this?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barcelona (Spain)

Application

I interviewed at Dow Jones (Barcelona (Spain)) in July 2017.

Interview

Had a telephonic interview with the Director of the team first. After the call, I was immediately invited for an interview a few days later. The interview involved working on a basic case study. I was the interviewed by the Director and two Managers.

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dow Jones (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Very Basic telephone interview. Introduction to the role and the requirements, how long the role had been live, what stage they were at. What the expectations were for the role, who it would report in to. What the current structure looked like.

Interview Questions

• Talk me through your experience?
      What do you know about us?   1 Answer