Dow Jones Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 18, 2017

2.9

Content Information Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

It was a brief phone conversation with HR to go over the job requirements and what's involved.

Moving from that stage, there was a phone interview with the manager and director of the content group. This stage involves going over the resume in depth, and the main points of the job. With questions from both sides, it lasted from 30-45 minutes.

Afterward, there was an in person interview with the manager and director again. This was a very in depth but natural conversation about previous work experiences with questions covering various scenarios. Lasted about 1-1 1/2 hours.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you experienced a failure in your previous job.   Answer Question

Research Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ) in May 2017.

Interview

I had an initial phone call with someone in HR that lasted about 10 minutes, and was fairly simple. Then I had a second call with someone in the department, which was also straightforward. She asked me about my background and what interested me in the position. Then she said that she would like to schedule an in-person interview in the next week. I went in one week later, and the interview lasted about two hours, 1.5 hours for a research and writing test, and .5 hours of interviewing with 2 people. It was straightforward. I haven't heard back yet.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had a different opinion than a co-worker.   Answer Question

Senior Treasury Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ) in July 2013.

Interview

First had a phone interview and 3 days later was bought in for a face to face. Simple and generic. Met with reporting manager, two other senior managers and senior vp, whose interview questions were a bit harder.

Interview Questions

• What did you accomplish at your last job?   1 Answer
    • Is this a newly created position or was it added due to growth or someone leaving?   1 Answer

Human Resources Rotation Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

First, an online application including paper and video. The second step, phone interview. The third step, one-way video interview. Fourth step, in-person interview with other finalists. Once the phone interview happened it was a very fast process. They fly you out to NY and put you up.

Interview Questions

• Favorite book; why dow jones; how previous experience would help you in this position   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

I found the job posting online. Submitted my information. Got an automated response saying they received the application and a recruiter would reach out should their be a match.

Got a call a few days later asking why the interest in the role. Got scheduled for an in person interview at the office. Spoke with two supervisors and the Head of Global Customer Service.

Received a call from HR a few days later and advised they wanted to make and offer and to check my email for the paperwork that needed to be filled. From application to offer letter, the process took 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle stress?
      Tell us about a time you disagreed with your direct report?
      What do you know about our products?
      What was the best customer service experience you have personally had?
      Tell us about a time you made a bad judgment call?
      Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

First stage - brief call with a US-based recruiter who had no clue about the role or the company. Second stage - face to face with the hiring manager which was a very pleasant and relaxed chat. The hiring manager seemed to be quite keen on my candidacy and said the recruiter would get back to me to arrange the face to face interview with a more senior manager. I never heard back from the recruiter, even after two follow-up emails. Incredibly unprofessional and a very poor representation of such a strong name in the financial markets. Sack your recruiters or train them how to do their job professionally.

Research Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied for the job about 4.5 weeks ago and got a response from the hiring recruiter a week after I had applied. (I would say around March 22nd was when I submitted my application). I had a phone call with the recruiter that lasted around 15 minutes asking me general questions on my resume and my skill set and he had then recommended me to speak with hiring manager(s) the following week over the phone.
    The hiring managers came about 1.5 hours late after the scheduled phone conversation which I was ok about; but only 1 out of the two names mentioned spoke with me. It was again general questions about my resume, why I applied for the position etc. The individual then suggested me to the final round of the interview process which is an in person interview with a research test after.
    I am grateful that they were able to accommodate me on short notice. In the in person interview, it was with the hiring manager and another individual asking me in-depth resume questions and questions of my background + job scenario questions. The research test took around 1.5 hours to complete.
    They said the hiring process would be quick from there but it's been two weeks since I've gotten a legitimate response. I've contacted the hiring recruiter in regards to this and the individual had mentioned the two people who are to give the final decision were out of town last week and are catching up on emails...
    UPDATE:
    After over 2 weeks (the total process being one month) -- I received a mail from my hiring recruiter apologizing for the delay and stating they extended the offer to another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your past experience as an editor?
      What kind of research tools have you used?
      Answer Question

Copy Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Interviewed with bureau chief at their office, after being invited by a current staff member familiar with me. This was a one on one interview, in person, after I had been recommended. The process was easy.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Simple and conversational interview. Definitely seemed like they just wanted to ensure competence and fit. About 15 minutes over Google Hangout. HR made the hiring process rather stress-free and enjoyable compared to others

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in finance?   1 Answer

Data Strategy Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

Round one is a phone interview. The phone call should last about 15-30 min. Basic questions, the recruiter just wants to know more about you. Round 2 is in the office

Interview Questions

• Why finance (my major)? Why is data important? What is data and how does it affect us? What do you know about Dow jones?   Answer Question