Dow Jones Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Dow Jones Interview Questions

Updated Nov 2, 2016

Customer Service Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and the response was actually pretty quick. Within the week I received an email requesting a phone interview. It was a brief discussion about my skills and what I know about the company. Pretty usual. The next morning I got a call at 9:00 am to informe I was invited to the facility for a live interview. I was emailed the details. The campus is beautiful and organized with a daycare on site. Also there is a coffee shop and frozen yogurt stand. All of the employees looked quite happy and relaxed. The interview began with a ten minute writing assessment followed by two face to face interview with two different pairs of managers, all of whom were extremely gracious and warm. I felt very welcome there. It ended with a brief role play session with the customer experience manager, a bubbly British man, who was also very warm and welcoming. Although it was probably the most intense interview I've ever sat through, it was very organized and informative and gave a wonderful impression of how the company works. The interview was today and I was informed they are hiring quickly and all applicants will receive a call by the end of the week with a decision. I am very eager to know if I've been considered.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

It was a phone interview. And there was an online test. They send you a link and you can give test at home. The test is to test your technical knowledge The test was for about 2 hours and it was very difficult.

Product Technologist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

Very poor hiring practices. I got an interview from the campus recruiting event. I met 4 people from different teams working on the same product. I got asked questions related to what I listed on my resume. They asked me some stuff about design patterns and asked me to draw out the complete architecture of one of the complex projects I worked on. Then, one of the guys made me write some code which was pretty straightforward for any CS student. I got called for final interviews a month later for which I had to meet the director who gave me a verbal offer in 2 minutes. Basically, the director just wanted to meet me and he told me I would hear back from the HR.

For a week, no response from the HR. Then, I hear back from her saying I will hear back again in a week or so. This was in October and today is January and I never heard back from them. I tried calling them and emailed them as well but I never got any response. This is the most unprofessional thing I've seen in my entire life. In fact, I wasted about a month thinking I'd get my official offer letter and I'm all set. If they were planning to take this long or even decline me, they could just say it so I'd stop waiting for it.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Phone call from recruiter followed by phone interview followed by in-person interview. Recruiter called to cancel interview the day before the scheduled interview date because the team was "in flux". A month later, the recruiter emails me again and schedules another in-person interview. Took the day off to travel to NYC out of pocket, and chatted with team for an hour. Interview went well. Never heard from them again—though, to be honest, the thought of working next door to Fox News made me queasy anyway.

Technology Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones in November 2014.

Interview

I got a phone call and listened to a 30-minute introduction on Dow Jones. And last, he asked if I have any question to ask. And, that's it. I was told to wait for the email.

Research Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter a week later. I interviewed with the recruiter for about 25 minutes and she set up a phone interview with the appropriate people for the following week. My phone interview seemed to go well and at the end, they asked if I would be willing or able to come into their office for an in-person interview in the next week or two. I said yes and they said they would be in touch. It's been 4+ weeks now and not a word. No response to my email from their recruiter either. While I recognize that HR employees are busy, it's unprofessional to leave candidates hanging for weeks without any update. A 'no' is always appreciated over silence. I know it's an employers market out there right now but being disrespectful to your candidates reflects poorly on the company and will hinder your ability in the future to attract top talent.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were pretty typical, nothing unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was emailed by a recruiter in NYC to set up a phone interview. After a phone interview I had an interview with the hiring manager. I was told after a 45 minute interview that they were probably hiring internally. Approximately 2 months after that interview, the recruiter in NYC called back again and we played phone tag. The recruiter did not answer emails and did not once ever answer the phone. To this day, I have no idea if she was going to make an offer or why she called so long after the interview. At one point I was calling on a daily basis to try and catch her on the phone. It was a very unprofessional and bizarre experience to say the least.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions on experience, managerial style, behavioral   Answer Question

Human Resources Rotational Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

Phone Interview went well--asked basic questions. Then was offered a digital interview.

Ad Layout Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monmouth Junction, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Monmouth Junction, NJ) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied for the position and I received an email for an interview 3 days later. I went for the interview that week and it seemed to go really well. I had to go through security but all that went smoothly. We talked for about an hour about what the job would include and he showed me examples of the work I would be doing. I was confident and showed interest in the position. He never told me one bad thing or inferred in any way that I wouldn't be a good fit. He even told me that he had only one other person to interview for the position and that he would be making a decision next week. Sadly, I did not receive a phone call offering me the position so I called the HR department at the end of the following week to find out that I did not get offered the position.

Interview Questions

• He didn't really ask me any questions. It was more of an hour long conversation about the position. I had a bunch of questions prepared that kept the conversations flowing.   Answer Question

Director of Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY).

Interview

The in-person interviewer who was the hiring manager was very professional and personable, and provided a good picture of the position and asked good questions relating to my experience, etc. The process was comfortable and the general tone of the interview was conversational. The offices were very impressive. Overall a good experience and I left with a positive impression of the company and people.