Dow Jones Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 13, 2017

2.9

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Series of interviews with hiring leader and others on the team. Mostly behavioral interview questions, some drilling into specific skills and experiences. Interview process seemed a little junior to the position but not crazy. After about three weeks and four interviews was told the division head would be the next, and presumably final, meeting. After that...radio silence. Neither the hiring leader nor HR ever closed the loop. More than six weeks later one final email got a response. Turns out they lost funding for the role. I was asked if I would consider a part time consulting role instead of the FT director job. Felt very unprofessional. Yuck.

Interview Questions

• Range of behavior questions ("tell me about a time when..." and skills.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dow Jones in September 2009.

Interview

I guess i got screened out in this initial interview even though i had great similar experience and a great record. The knucklehead I spoke with was an HR drone and we were on the phone for about 5 minutes. No real pertinent questions and we were off the phone in a flash. It was really a waste of time, glad it was via the phone.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

Probably the WORST company to interview with. They are a mess internally. Don't waste your time and energy. They don't respect your time whatsoever. They dragged the process for months and months. After the process, they didn't even have the courtesy of replying back to any of my correspondence. At one point, they said I had the job but then they told me I had to wait a few months. People working here are NOT happy. They finally offered the position 3-4 months after the start of the interview process. I declined. I took another offer with a company that actually respects your time.

Interview Questions

• None. Questions were easy. Went through the entire process and then they dragged it on for months and months about offering a job.   Answer Question

Culture is a joke, wasted my time, decided I would be extremely unhappy there. Company is in shambles right now. NO funding, NO culture, it's a skeleton of it's past.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Phone call from recruiter followed by phone interview followed by in-person interview. Recruiter called to cancel interview the day before the scheduled interview date because the team was "in flux". A month later, the recruiter emails me again and schedules another in-person interview. Took the day off to travel to NYC out of pocket, and chatted with team for an hour. Interview went well. Never heard from them again—though, to be honest, the thought of working next door to Fox News made me queasy anyway.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Dow Jones (London, England (UK)) in April 2011.

Interview

phone interview which was iner and had the basics
    2 face to face interviews. One with a middle manmagers then one with the head of sales.
    I think the middle managers were told who to hire.

Interview Questions

• Sell me coke instead of pepsi   1 Answer

Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Singapore (Singapore)) in August 2013.

Interview

face to face, followed by written, followed by a background check. all of this took close to 8 weeks. sluggish processes and stuff that could be accomplished a lot quicker

Interview Questions

• what can you bring to the table? where do yo hope to be in 3-5years?   1 Answer

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (San Francisco, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

I went on three interviews. The first with the Recruiter and the following two were with Senior Manager/Head of Sales.

It was an easy interview. The role they needed filled was defined fully and the qualities they were looking for in a candidate.

It was very casual. Goals were discussed and I aligned my answers to fit the goal based on my experience.

I was hired in two weeks.

Interview Questions

• What is your process in locating opportunities?   1 Answer

Copy Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Interviewed with bureau chief at their office, after being invited by a current staff member familiar with me. This was a one on one interview, in person, after I had been recommended. The process was easy.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Monmouth Junction, NJ

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Monmouth Junction, NJ) in January 2009.

Interview

Interviewed with HR Rep (outsourced); interviewed with hiring manager. HR Rep and HR department not particularly knowledgeable about benefits. Hiring manager was easy to talk with and ask questions. Everyone in the interview process was cordial and friendly.

Interview Questions

• What are your salary expectations for this position.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate salary. Be sure to get everything in writing.

Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

I applied online in Feb 2011 to the Integrated Ad Sales Track Program. I was contacted 2 months later by email to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was all business - typical interview questions. After about 15 minutes, the recruiter told me she'd like me to continue with the next step, a "virtual" interview (which was a new thing for DJ). The virtual interview was 7 typical interview questions. I had 30 seconds to read each question and prepare an answer, then up to 3 minutes to answer. After that, I was supposed to hear back within 2 weeks about the next step. It took about 3.5 weeks until they got back to me. Then I was invited to NY for a 2-day event in early June (DJ pays for flight, taxis, hotel, meals). There were 27 candidates invited competing for 4-6 coordinator openings. The first day was for mingling and meeting people and learning more about the position and the company. The second day consisted of 5 interviews, 30 minutes each, with different members of the WSJ org. Each person was mostly informal and relaxed about the process, but asked typical interview questions.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite recent ad campaign or one that has stood out?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to go into sales?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you worked in a group on a project and what the outcome was?   Answer Question