Dow Jones Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Dow Jones Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2017

2.9

Data Strategy Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

Round one is a phone interview. The phone call should last about 15-30 min. Basic questions, the recruiter just wants to know more about you. Round 2 is in the office

Interview Questions

• Why finance (my major)? Why is data important? What is data and how does it affect us? What do you know about Dow jones?   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Simple and conversational interview. Definitely seemed like they just wanted to ensure competence and fit. About 15 minutes over Google Hangout. HR made the hiring process rather stress-free and enjoyable compared to others

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in finance?   1 Answer

Research Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied for the job about 4.5 weeks ago and got a response from the hiring recruiter a week after I had applied. (I would say around March 22nd was when I submitted my application). I had a phone call with the recruiter that lasted around 15 minutes asking me general questions on my resume and my skill set and he had then recommended me to speak with hiring manager(s) the following week over the phone.
    The hiring managers came about 1.5 hours late after the scheduled phone conversation which I was ok about; but only 1 out of the two names mentioned spoke with me. It was again general questions about my resume, why I applied for the position etc. The individual then suggested me to the final round of the interview process which is an in person interview with a research test after.
    I am grateful that they were able to accommodate me on short notice. In the in person interview, it was with the hiring manager and another individual asking me in-depth resume questions and questions of my background + job scenario questions. The research test took around 1.5 hours to complete.
    They said the hiring process would be quick from there but it's been two weeks since I've gotten a legitimate response. I've contacted the hiring recruiter in regards to this and the individual had mentioned the two people who are to give the final decision were out of town last week and are catching up on emails...
    UPDATE:
    After over 2 weeks (the total process being one month) -- I received a mail from my hiring recruiter apologizing for the delay and stating they extended the offer to another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your past experience as an editor?
      What kind of research tools have you used?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

First stage - brief call with a US-based recruiter who had no clue about the role or the company. Second stage - face to face with the hiring manager which was a very pleasant and relaxed chat. The hiring manager seemed to be quite keen on my candidacy and said the recruiter would get back to me to arrange the face to face interview with a more senior manager. I never heard back from the recruiter, even after two follow-up emails. Incredibly unprofessional and a very poor representation of such a strong name in the financial markets. Sack your recruiters or train them how to do their job professionally.

Senior Treasury Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ) in July 2013.

Interview

First had a phone interview and 3 days later was bought in for a face to face. Simple and generic. Met with reporting manager, two other senior managers and senior vp, whose interview questions were a bit harder.

Interview Questions

• What did you accomplish at your last job?   1 Answer
    • Is this a newly created position or was it added due to growth or someone leaving?   1 Answer

Sales Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I was referred by a friend who connected me to the hiring manager. I interviewed with a several people from my department (i.e manager, director and planner) over two separate visits. I was contacted by HR after the first interview where we discussed salary, job expectations, etc.

After a the final interview I waited three weeks for HR to clear my manager to hire. Once I was offered the job, I was given a week to make my decision.

Don't bother with the online application - getting a job here is all about referrals. The entire process was very casual. I never felt stressed, and the interview was more of a conversation.

Interview Questions

• What're you passionate about? Why WSJ? Tell be about your background/experience, etc.

Everyone I spoke with seemed genuinely interested in my experience and in getting to know me.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Highly recommend negotiating salary or vacation days. HR is very straightforward, and will work with you.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ) in April 2009.

Interview

Had an intial phone screeing interview with an HR person who called me 30 mins. late. Got passed this interview only to have another phone interview with a hiring manager who was on a lousy speaker phone. The hiring manager was goofy and seemed to ask questions from a pre-written list. He seemed to be looking for specific online experience which I did not have. Did not get any farther.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Is the commute a problem?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any online application or social media experience?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones in November 2009.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview with the group director to generally talk about my background and give me more information on the job. Then I was called for an in person interview in the same week, which consisted of 4 back to back interviews. I was asked resume based questions and very few behavioral questions and also some finance questions on valuation.

Interview Questions

• Go through the calculation of the WACC explaining to me what each element in your calculation is.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a process you implemented to change something.   Answer Question

Senior Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in February 2010.

Interview

I learned about the position through a business contact and had an opportunity to speak with the hiring manager over the phone and learn more about the role. Two weeks later, I was invited for an in-person interview with HR and two peers from the team, each interview was 1:1.
    - HR: very informal, let me ask all the questions. Spoke a lot about the company culture and how it still has a small company feel to it
    - Peers: both interviews were around what I have done at previous jobs that was relevant for the position and some strategic thinking around trends in the industry and where I see the best opportunities in the future.

Did not get to round 2; they hired somebody who had previously worked at DJ

Interview Questions

• Have you worked on structuring deals in your previous jobs   Answer Question

IT Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dow Jones in April 2010.

Interview

Phone interview, HR interview, IT area interview