Dow Jones Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 9, 2017

44 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

Initially, I had a positive interview process. I was contacted by a recruiter a couple weeks after I applied to the position online. I had an initial screening interview with the recruiter & he forwarded my information over to the actual team that I was applying for. After about a week & a half, he told me that the team was interested in meeting with me in person. I met in person with two members of the team on a Monday & the interview went well. I was then contacted again by the recruiter the next day & he informed me that they wanted me to come back in the office on that Friday. I came in & met with the director and another associate on the team. This interview was a bit longer & in-depth. They asked more skill/personality-based questions. I sent a thank you e-mail to the recruiter and the director after meeting with them (as I had throughout the entire process) & never received any type of response or feedback. It is now almost two months later & I am at a new job, but I think it's very rude and unprofessional to meet someone in person multiple times and not even let them know whether or not they got the position --- especially because their communication with me was initially consistent.

Accounts Receivable Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Monmouth Junction, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Monmouth Junction, NJ) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online to DowJones directly.
    After perhaps 2 weeks I was contacted by a Talent Specialist.
    Briefly had a back and forth about Compensation and Experience.
    Another 2 weeks later I was called in for an interview.
    The interview was about 30-45 mins both the Manager & Supervisor were in the room.

After a month and a half I was contacted with an offer.

Be patient

Human Resources Rotation Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

First, an online application including paper and video. The second step, phone interview. The third step, one-way video interview. Fourth step, in-person interview with other finalists. Once the phone interview happened it was a very fast process. They fly you out to NY and put you up.

Interview Questions

• Favorite book; why dow jones; how previous experience would help you in this position   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY).

Interview

They require a video submission, an essay, and multiple interviews. Be prepared to put effort into your application. This is not a position that you can submit your resume and tweak a generic cover letter for. The actual interview questions are pretty standard, but it takes a while to get to that point.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing about you that separates you from the other applicants?   Answer Question

Sales Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I was referred by a friend who connected me to the hiring manager. I interviewed with a several people from my department (i.e manager, director and planner) over two separate visits. I was contacted by HR after the first interview where we discussed salary, job expectations, etc.

After a the final interview I waited three weeks for HR to clear my manager to hire. Once I was offered the job, I was given a week to make my decision.

Don't bother with the online application - getting a job here is all about referrals. The entire process was very casual. I never felt stressed, and the interview was more of a conversation.

Interview Questions

• What're you passionate about? Why WSJ? Tell be about your background/experience, etc.

Everyone I spoke with seemed genuinely interested in my experience and in getting to know me.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Highly recommend negotiating salary or vacation days. HR is very straightforward, and will work with you.

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Usually one-to-one but can meet a few people in an hour session. A presentation can be useful make sure bring the correct adaptors for screens. Usually one person will come in to measure culture fit as well.

Interview Questions

• They are gauging aptitude and knowledge - usual questions follow e.g. Describe a situation where you failed - how would you do it better next time, etc.   Answer Question

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, we spent an hour on the phone and was told a Video interview would be the second round. Second interview went well in my POV but you never really know what the other person is thinking. Anyway, I've followed up 3 times with no response. Being an HR professional, this is terrible behavior and its part of the reason why folks hate HR. The recruiter said "please feel free to reach out to me at any point during the interview process as ill be your main POC"

Clearly he was lying. It seems DJ needs to restructure their recruitment team the way they're restructuring their HR group.

Abysmal experience from a reputable name. Its been 3 weeks and still no response.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Simple and conversational interview. Definitely seemed like they just wanted to ensure competence and fit. About 15 minutes over Google Hangout. HR made the hiring process rather stress-free and enjoyable compared to others

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in finance?   1 Answer

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied through linkedin. I got an email from the talent recruiter to set up a phone interview. Then a phone interview with the editors from the team. Then an in-person interview. After the interview I received a job offer

Interview Questions

• Tell us a little bit about yourself.   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Series of interviews with hiring leader and others on the team. Mostly behavioral interview questions, some drilling into specific skills and experiences. Interview process seemed a little junior to the position but not crazy. After about three weeks and four interviews was told the division head would be the next, and presumably final, meeting. After that...radio silence. Neither the hiring leader nor HR ever closed the loop. More than six weeks later one final email got a response. Turns out they lost funding for the role. I was asked if I would consider a part time consulting role instead of the FT director job. Felt very unprofessional. Yuck.

Interview Questions

• Range of behavior questions ("tell me about a time when..." and skills.   Answer Question