Dow Jones Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Dow Jones Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Apr 7, 2017

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY).

Interview

They require a video submission, an essay, and multiple interviews. Be prepared to put effort into your application. This is not a position that you can submit your resume and tweak a generic cover letter for. The actual interview questions are pretty standard, but it takes a while to get to that point.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing about you that separates you from the other applicants?   Answer Question

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, we spent an hour on the phone and was told a Video interview would be the second round. Second interview went well in my POV but you never really know what the other person is thinking. Anyway, I've followed up 3 times with no response. Being an HR professional, this is terrible behavior and its part of the reason why folks hate HR. The recruiter said "please feel free to reach out to me at any point during the interview process as ill be your main POC"

Clearly he was lying. It seems DJ needs to restructure their recruitment team the way they're restructuring their HR group.

Abysmal experience from a reputable name. Its been 3 weeks and still no response.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Simple and conversational interview. Definitely seemed like they just wanted to ensure competence and fit. About 15 minutes over Google Hangout. HR made the hiring process rather stress-free and enjoyable compared to others

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in finance?   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Series of interviews with hiring leader and others on the team. Mostly behavioral interview questions, some drilling into specific skills and experiences. Interview process seemed a little junior to the position but not crazy. After about three weeks and four interviews was told the division head would be the next, and presumably final, meeting. After that...radio silence. Neither the hiring leader nor HR ever closed the loop. More than six weeks later one final email got a response. Turns out they lost funding for the role. I was asked if I would consider a part time consulting role instead of the FT director job. Felt very unprofessional. Yuck.

Interview Questions

• Range of behavior questions ("tell me about a time when..." and skills.   Answer Question

Tax Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied for the job on a Friday and the following Thursday someone from the HR department called me saying my background looked good and that the manager wanted to set up a phone interview with me as well. I spoke with him the next day and a few hours later the girl from HR said the manager and director of the department wanted to meet with me the following Wednesday. I was there with the manager for an hour and I was waiting to speak to the director before the manager told me she was away on business. I thanked him for meeting with me but unfortunately he never gave me a business card. I sent the girl from HR a thank you email and a following email and she never answered. I think that is a little rude. It's been almost 3 weeks and I still haven't heard a word from the company. I wish they could at least answer an email.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monmouth Junction, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Monmouth Junction, NJ) in August 2015.

Interview

Basic technical phone interview followed by an in person interview at their office with a technical employee and manager. Technical questions were similar to phone interview, manager pressed fairly about previous experience with projects. Employees were friendly and helpful during the interview, but two weeks since have not gotten back to me about the offer.

Interview Questions

• Given the hour and minute, find the smaller angle between the minute hand and hour hand on a 12 hour analogue clock.   1 Answer

Research Editor, Special Lists Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monmouth Junction, NJ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (Monmouth Junction, NJ) in July 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen, and then two days later I was contacted about an in-person interview for the following week. For the in-person interview, one person was on a video conference from London, and the other manager was in the room with me. Most of the interview wasn’t too difficult. They seemed turned off by the fact that my jobs had been contract roles, but I informed the recruiter of that in the phone screen. I was told I would find out in two weeks. I waited two weeks, and I didn’t hear anything. I then emailed the hr recruiter about my status, but she didn’t respond to my email.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked with a sensitive person?

Discuss a time when a co-worker frustrated you.

To end the interview, I was asked to tell them three things about me that I haven't discussed so far in the interview that would help them in determining if they should hire me.
      Answer Question

Human Resources Leadership Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY).

Interview

Where do you see social media and HR headed?

Make a video of yourself (Feel free to be creative!)- Don't. They don't care that much about creative. Just make it news related.

Video Interview- pretty basic. All video questions from what I can remember.

For a company offering an HRLDP, how can you expect to develop HR candidates when your HR practices are not up to par?

Interview Questions

• Favorite Book? Behavioral questions. What do you know about Dow Jones?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Quite standard- talked to a recruiter over phone and interviewed with managers over skype (was abroad then) after a week. No tricky or behavioral questions, just "tell me about yourself" questions along with resume specific clarifications. Received an offer about a week after and accepted it.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

The interviews were short, equal amounts selling me on Dow Jones and asking about my skills and experience. But the interview process was the easy part. Working my way through the offer and recruiting process was excruciating. Very hard to pin them down on offer details. They seemed as worried I would say no and interested in getting me to say yes. Going from "we'd love to have you on the team" to "attached is your official offer letter" was more than a month. Not exactly the welcome wagon.

Interview Questions

• Asked general questions about my experience. They did the work to see how I would best fit in with Dow Jones.   1 Answer

Final offer was for a position below my experience. Hard to understand why they went to all the trouble and strung me along. Comp was fine, but level was off.