Dropbox Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Dropbox Interview Questions

Updated Mar 29, 2017

3.1

Insights Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dropbox.

Interview

I applied online through the Dropbox website and then heard back from the recruiter. A call was setup and I was run through a phone interview. The interview lasted 30 minutes and I was mainly asked to discuss my background.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dropbox (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

It was a on-campus summer intern, only one question for an hour , requirement for coding is pretty high. You should be familiar with hashing function and file input and output. The process was fast, it only took three days to know whether I can go onsite. Final step, you can ask the recruiter a question. Basically, the offer is decided by your coding skills.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dropbox (College Park, MD) in February 2017.

Interview

I handed in my resume in career fair and got this on-campus interview in 3 days. The have a classroom for interview and each one need to bring their own PC to take the test.

Interview Questions

• "Grid illumination" problem needed to be solved in 75 min.   Answer Question

Launch Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dropbox (College Park, MD) in February 2017.

Interview

Handed my resume to a recruiter at career fair. Was sent a coding challenge the next day, then took an on-campus interview all within the span of a week. Recruiter was very responsive to emails.

Interview Questions

• Magic bubbles disappear after five seconds. Write a method to create a bubble, and one to return the current number of bubbles in existence given a time parameter.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online without an internal reference. Was contacted by a recruiter. She was nice. Interviewed over the phone. That went great. Was invited to interview over the phone again (this time a theory question). I thought this went great too. Then was contacted by the recruiter again telling me everyone liked me but they were not going to continue with the hiring process. I thought this was really cheap because up until then I thought I had been acing it. And she said everyone liked me. And I just thought it was really shady for everyone to claim they felt positive but not be willing to continue. That left a bad impression on me. Made me wonder if they were lying or if they didn't feel comfortable saying what didn't work out. I thought I had aced everything. Would not recommend because during the process everyone seemed nice and positive but it was then clear someone was pretending.

Interview Questions

• In the game of life (not the board game with the spinner, the other one), calculate how to compute the next state of the board. Interviewer went on to ask how I would do this if I had memory constraints (board represented by a 1 TB file).   Answer Question
    • If you received a file in chunks, calculate when you have the full file. Fairly open ended. Can assume chunks come with start and end, or size, etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox in February 2017.

Interview

A third party recruiter contacted me and referred me to Dropbox. I then had a call with a Dropbox recruiter to talk more about my experience and opportunities available at Dropbox for me. They scheduled a phone interview with a Software Engineer.

I had a phone interview with the SWE (Product) and it went well. They then asked me to interview with someone else in another team (Infrastructure). That interview went okay. I followed up with the recruiter and didn't hear back. After another week, I emailed again and the recruiter said he'd get back to me the following week and that was the last time I heard from him.

Interview Questions

• They asked questions similar to the ones already posted on Glassdoor.   Answer Question

Software Engineer - UI Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I had two technical phone screens, which were spread across three weeks. This was a rather slow pace, in my opinion. The scheduling was a bit disorganized and the interviews never started on time. Interviewers were not helpful whatsoever. They seemed extremely disinterested and did not even leave time for questions. I was shocked.

Interview Questions

• Implement a log_hit function for a website. Then record the total number of hits in the last five minutes and return the number.

Given a dictionary, produce all valid 3, 4, and 7 letter words from a string of numpad digits i.e. 228 is "cat".
      1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dropbox in February 2017.

Interview

I applied for the role through company website. Within one week, I heard back from the recruiter that she would like to schedule a call with me. The recruiter was very nice and polite. She asked questions about how much experience I have in this and that. After 2 days, she emailed me that the hiring manager wants to speak with me. The phone interview with the hiring manager went for 45 minutes. The whole interview was about a business case on A/B testing. After 20 minutes only, I sensed that hiring manager is not interested in this interview anymore, although she asked me some more questions about my past experience. After 2 hours, I got an email from the recruiter that dropbox does not want to continue.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about acquiring new enterprise users for Dropbox?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I talked to 3 people, or should I say 2 (one interviewer didn't say anything for an hour looking at a laptop screen).

So, first part was about a random coding question from a new hire (fresh out of college). It felt like the interviewer was over confident and a little rude, he didn't cover the domain at all. I had to hack a poorly written piece of code. Plus I had to use pseudo code which made the exercise totally worthless. I kept asking myself "Is this how you're gonna judge my skills? Really?". Anyway, I blocked near the end on one line of pseudo code that was missing in my solution. I blocked because of the way the code was written, using bad design, not following any standards or whatsoever. So, instead of leaving a blank of 10 minutes I offered the interviewer a cleaner and better solution to the problem. I said "if you let me do it this way it'll look much better and would work perfectly". Apparently, this wasn't the expected answer. No dialog or no brainstorming around the question, pretty boring. The interviewer was pretty stuck on one little detail. My solution got approved verbally, but again, not the expected one line hack. I ended up getting it after a hint form the interviewer. "Really... is this what you wanted?". Overall I did provide the expected hack (pseud-code) to a meaningless problem. I just needed a hint to complete the solution. Overall, this exercise didn't highlight any related skills but still, I provided a "working" solution.

Second part was a CS question. I nailed everything. The interviewer wasn't friendly at all! Sheesh... what's up with dropbox employees?? Same, looking at a laptop the all time while I was writing the solution on the white board. I honestly found an optimized and valid solution pretty quickly into the interview. Wrote it on the white board, missed one detail, corrected it, done.

Conclusion:

I would have hired myself. No joke... I got an email 2 days later saying I wasn't a great fit but would easily find a job. Who says that? Weird... Anyway, it was more like an eye-opener for me about Dropbox. Do I want to work there? No thanks. They have a nice office though and good food.... who cares.

Interview Questions

• Complete the blanks in a poorly written code. And use pseudo-code because we really want you to do weird things for the next 45 minutes.   1 Answer
    • Hash table stuff... easy   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Dropbox (Austin, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me through LinkedIn in. Spoke with the recruiter 2 days later for about 30 minutes. The recruiter was thoughtful, had read through my experience and asked me very specific questions. I was not really looking for an opportunity but the conversation went well so I decided to move forward.

Then a recruiting coordinator contacted me to schedule an interview with another recruiting coordinator.

The interviewer called me later than the scheduled time which was OK because I was forewarned. During the interview I am sure the Interviewer was EATING (I heard noises and lip smacking) and putting me on mute. Also there were so many silences after I asked and questions or waited for her to acknowledge my response. They did not tell me how much time was allotted for the conversation and throughout the whole "interview" she only asked me one question. After going through my experience I asked if the interviewer had any questions about my background she say "no." She provided very little structure for the interview so I felt like I had to talk about myself or rather sell myself for the whole conversation to even continue the interview, although I am a passive candidate. I learned very little about the role or office environment.

This really boggled me because I did not reach out to this company.

Finally the conversation was cut of when I was asking questions because another team was booting her out of the conference room, which is ok, since that happens sometimes at my company as well. But she did not follow up with an email.

The interviewers lack of engagement, lack of preparation, and ingenuousness left me feeling like it was a waste of time.

It was overall a very lack luster interview.

I received a very polite email from the recruiter telling me I wasn't the right fit, which was perfect because I felt the same way.

Interview Questions

• What do you like about recruiting and what don't you like about recruiting?   Answer Question