Dropbox Product Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Dropbox Product Designer Interview Questions

Interviews at Dropbox

3.1

Product Design Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dropbox in October 2016.

Interview

Brief phone call with HR. She cut off the interview short in middle of answering a question. She sounded like she was not interested in the answer and found it very rude. She cut me off and hung up on me with another meeting to go to. It was a short interview and very wasteful.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Dropbox

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I had a phone call and on site portfolio review. I was interviewed by 2 people and I've been told that one person will be shadowing, but that was not the case. I interact with 2 people from HR. The first question that one of the HR employees asked me was what was my relationship with the person that referred me. The HR employee was "very surprised" with my answer and that was a clear sign that the person didn't even read my application. It does not sound professional to me.

They took me to a meeting room and 2 people came. The person that conducted the interview was very arrogant and made me feel very bad with stupid comments, not looking at me, yawning and not paying attention when I was speaking. Not empathy at all. When I told the person about a small bug I had found on one of the Dropbox products the person literally answered "I do not care at all, that is not my work" that answer was unfortunate and does not sound at all aligned with Dropbox values. I don't think making fun of people who are trying to find a nice job is a professional way of interviewing.

However I don't believe this is the global way of doing things at this company, It was just a matter of one unfortunate individual.

Interview Questions

• Tell me the project your are most proud of   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The first part was initially stated as a 15-20 minute conversation, which ended up being 45 minutes. It was very casual and informal and utilized as a method to get to know one another.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest takeaway from your current job that you'll carry with you throughout your career?   1 Answer

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dropbox in September 2017.

Interview

The recruiter literally read from a script explaining the different pillars of Dropbox which I feel could have been sent via email and the phone call concentrated on actual conversation.

Interview Questions

• How do you rate your skills in product thinking, interaction design, and visual design?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

A current designer reached out to me via social media and brought me into the SF office for coffee. After that, I started talking with a recruiter. There was first a 1-hour portfolio deep-dive with another designer (this was very conversational—he asked a lot of questions), then I was asked to come back for the full day of interviews, which included a 1hr presentation in a room of about 8 other designers, lunch, some 1-on-1s, and a whiteboarding design exercise. Everyone was excellent about providing feedback throughout the interview process, and you really got the feeling that they wanted to see you succeed.

Interview Questions

• What led you to your final design? Describe the tradeoffs you considered.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied through an interior refer. I got the email from the recruiter and being set up an portfolio review with their current product designer. I talked about two projects and they even gave you what they wanted to know from the review beforehand, which was pretty helpful in preparation. In the interview, you just have to go through your ideas of the projects. They really asked why you make each decision and your justification. Most of the questions were more about the product but not design itself. And I recommend you to make a video or something in inVision to illustrate your final design because he spent sometime asking me about this (I didn't have to make one). 2 days after the interview, I was told I'm not a good fit.

Anyway, both the recruiter and the interviewer were so nice. This interview made me rethink a lot about my portfolio. The recruiters moved very fast and were so nice in email. They really made you feel good.

BTW, I was told by the interviewer that they just have 35-40 product designers in the big company, so I think it would a little bit difficult to get in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

1. Had a phone screen (they reached out to me through linkedin)
    2. Came on site for a case study/portfolio review with 2 designers
    3. Came back on site for a 5 hr session that included a portfolio review presentation with 10 designers, a white-boarding exercise, a portfolio deep-dive with 2 more designers, coffee with designers and an all around with a design manager

Interview Questions

• Design a car stereo for a car rental company   1 Answer

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox in November 2018.

Interview

This was the worst and the most unprofessional interview I ever experienced, mostly because of how the recruiter handled it. I got contacted by the recruiter thru LinkedIn, did a phone screen with her and later she told me she had to run my portfolio by a few hiring manager. She got back to me quickly and told me she got a quick response to move forward and brought me in onsite to do a presentation for 2 of the designers. I spent a few days preparing the presentation. My appointment came with a detailed agenda with a slot for meeting with the recruiter in the end. I got to the Dropbox office early and signed in. After the coordinator was 10 minutes late picking me up from the lobby, I checked with the front desk and they told me she's not available to pick me up and someone else will greet me instead. After being 15 minutes late another person (other than the person mentioned by the front desk) picked me up and took me to the interview room where the two designers were waiting for without explaining the reason for my lateness which was them and not me. The presentation and the interview went well and in the end I was supposed to wrap it up with the recruiter, but they told me she wasn't there.
    The next day the recruiter sent me an email, without apologizing for her absence, congratulated me for passing the first step and moving forward to the final stage and asked me to give her a few dates I'm available to chat to prep me for the final stage. I replied to her with my availability, but I didn't hear back from her for a week. When I followed up, she responded to me with a polite rejection response, saying a few hiring managers rejected me and giving the generic recruiting excuses like, the open positions don't match your background, etc,..
    The irony is that she rejected me in the same email with the subject "moving forward with Dropbox". At least have the curtesy to write a new email with the correct subject to reject someone! That's just messed up on so many levels.
    I still feel like Dropbox is a good company to work for, but it's the recruiters who are bad at their jobs who undermine the company's reputation.

Interview Questions

Dropbox Response

Dec 18, 2018 – Talent Brand Team

Thank you for sharing your experience. We’re incredibly sorry to hear that there were multiple missteps on our part. If you’re interested in sharing any additional feedback, feel free to email... More

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Out of all the companies I have ever interviewed for, Dropbox’s interview process is my favorite. I had the privilege of speaking with an amazing recruiter named Summer. She was so thorough and friendly :)

I’d say having SaaS experience is a plus. If you have a complex project, own it! It seems like Dropbox hires humble and down-to-earth people. During the on-site portfolio review, you’ll get asked a ton of questions. Don’t worry! Stay focused :)

Interview Questions

• What is your design superpower?   1 Answer
    • Name a time you had a conflict with a co-worker. How did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Dropbox Response

Mar 13, 2019 – Talent Brand Team

So glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us, and congrats on the offer!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview felt more like a conversation than a interview. At first it was a phone screener with then led to a one on one with my potential manager.