Dropbox Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Dropbox Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Dropbox

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox.

Interview

Very confusing experience overall. Got two coding phone screens which I solved easily. One was a medium difficulty recursion, another an easy hash map problem. Flew into HQ for on-site, got a couple more very easy problems which I was able to code and then talk through about possible race condition, etc.. Other than that had a medium difficulty system design interview and a soft skills interview. From what I can tell I was able to solve everything and answer all follow up questions. Got rejection in a week without any feedback. Everyone was nice and friendly but I really regret spending my time and vacation days on this.

Interview Questions

• Recursive filesystem question   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Dropbox

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Talked to a recruiter on the phone about Dropbox's products and available positions. Then an online coding interview session. The question wasn't tricky - string matching with rolling hash. The interviewer could be a bit more helpful to enable the best thinking out of the candidate, but ultimately as a candidate I should be a lot more prepared in algorithms when it comes to recognized companies in the bay area.

Interview Questions

• String matching in a file. Knowledge of a rolling hash algorithm should be helpful.   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox in January 2016.

Interview

After the recruiter talk, a young girl called me for the coding test. She asked me to implement the jQuery function $(".class-name") using plain JavaScript and recursion. It was a bit surprise to me but I wrote it and she appeared shocked that I wrote it perfectly. And immediately, she asked me to write $(".class-name > .another-class-name") which are all the direct descendants. I wrote it and it seemed she was holding the perfect answer, as she asked me what if it was this or that situation. I then debugged it, but it was only a few minutes left at that time. After the call, I use real HTML to debug my code and email her the answer with close to 20 different test cases, but their reply was they would go with other candidates. I just think if I answer the first question perfectly, and then they gave me a somewhat more complicated case to implement, I really don't know whether they should expect perfect answers in such a short interview. I often feel the interviewers studied some question for a few or even a dozen hours and asked for the perfect solution in 20 to 30 minutes (and when you can answer, they immediately give you another one), it might not be the best way to test candidates.

Interview Questions

• Implement jQuery's $(".class-name") using plain JavaScript and recursion, and then implement $(".class-name > .another-class-name") which are all the direct descendants.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

My impression of the company plummeted the day of my onsite interviews.
    The interview questions were extremely simple (way too basic). The interviewers were young kids who had just joined the company after completing their bachelors degrees. They had no experience and didn't even know some of the fundamentals.
    I am a mid level person with over 6 years of experience after finishing my PhD. My expertise is in parallel and high performance computing.
    One of the interviewer was particularly dumb. After presenting an obvious solution to a multithreading and concurrency question, it was pretty obvious that the interviewer had absolutely no idea about the topic and didn't know what he was talking about. He did not accept my first simple solution since he didn't understand it. Then he also didn't accept next couple of solutions I implemented using different threading models. He had no idea about those either. After asking what he was looking for, I implemented a solution he wanted, but I know from experience that performance if that solution would be terrible in practice and I argued the same. (I have been working with multithreading and concurrency for over 11 years). But he didn't understand those either. And subsequently rejected me due to his own incompetence.
    Since it looks like they hire any person from a good school irrespective of whether they are good or not, and send them to interview candidates for senior positions, my impression of the company was terrible. I wouldn't want to work there even if they offered me an attractive position.

Interview Questions

• Implement multithreaded HTML page parser   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox in June 2018.

Interview

Recruiter contacted via a online portal and had a initial phone screening to understand my current experience and expectations for the postion and see if there was a match.Then they set up a technical phone interview of 1 hr in which initially the interviwer asked about my experience,coding language preference and why i wanted to switch.The coding interview itself was a medium difficult question.Could not complete the optimization part of the interview hence was rejected.

Interview Questions

• About my experiences,favorite coding language,medium difficulty coding problem   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Dropbox in May 2018.

Interview

Interview with HR was very professional.
    Technical coding interview was also very professional but honestly stupid. Unless you prepare for coding interview questions and more specifically the question being asked I can bet none of the Dropbox engineers could solve the problem either in 60 minutes.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I knew the "Game of Thrones" problem. When I said no, I got the feeling that I would be rejected. Nonetheless the interviewer explained the Game of Thrones problem to me and then asked me to code it in Go.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

The whole process was smooth and I had positive impressions on everyone I met. The only negative experience I had was with one of recruiters, who contacted me before and after the on-site (I was transferred from a different recruiter to her because the original one was on vacation) The chat two days before the on-site was short and dry, offering little help. Three business days after the on-site, I received an email from the recruiter saying that she had feedback and an update for me, and scheduled a phone call in the afternoon the same day. The email was cc-ed to all the recruiter/coordinator/sourcer who were ever involved in the process. My guess was that it was a requirement for them to reject a candidate over the phone instead of email, to show that they do care about candidates. Well, actually she couldn’t care less - the whole conversation lasted less than 30 seconds. She offered no feedback, and showed absolutely no interest in talking more. She really could have done that in an email. At least it’s easier to c&p empathetic words :-)

I’m not being sour grape here. I enjoyed talking with many of the Dropbox people I met through the process, and will recommend other people to interview with them, even may try again sometime in the future myself. I just hope this one recruiter can improve on how she carries a conversation with just a little bit more enthusiasm, and make candidates feel welcomed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in February 2019.

Interview

Connected through recruiters. Challenging phone screen. Challenging onsite. Onsite included a couple of background / experience interviews, a couple of system design interviews, a whiteboard coding question. Everyone was very smart.

Interview Questions

• Something involving graph search and locks.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in April 2019.

Interview

Dropbox is exactly the same as every other tech company now. They don't care about your resume, they probably don't even care what your name is. You get a coderpad link and you follow it. Type the right answer or don't.

Dropbox seems to have a good reputation so it was disappointing to see that they just follow the same cookie-cutter anonymizing, dehumanizing process as anyone else...which tells me that working there is just like working anywhere else, but with shade-grown coffee (and every other pointless west coast office cliche).

The person interviewing me was very curt and quick to sign off. Why did I even bother telling him my name? Why did he tell me his?

Interview Questions

• Design an image file retrieval API.   3 Answers

Dropbox Response

Jun 25, 2019 – Talent Brand Team

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We pride ourselves in having a high quality candidate experience, carried out by a kind team, so we’re disappointed to hear that... More

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dropbox.

Interview

Interview started on time and scheduling and everything else was all fine. The interview was not that difficult. It was a good problem to solve.

I think the question could have been made a little more clearer to me. I understand sometimes interviewers deliberately may hide certain edge cases and expect the candidate to highlight or point those cases out with clarifying questions, however I feel the question given to me itself was incomplete and it took bit of time to understand and clarify the complete question which would have been better spent in optimizing the algorithm.

The interviewer was very young but I think some training needs to be given from Dropbox to make interviewers prepare for interviews as well, like shadow interviews or mock training. There was also a language barrier as the the interviewer clearly was not very comfortable with English when interviewing

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult, study algorithm and graphs well   1 Answer