Dropbox Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Dropbox Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Dropbox

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dropbox in October 2014.

Interview

Applied on-line. Received an e-mail from a Dropbox recruiter expressing interest and an invite to a coding exam about 2 days later. Did not make it past the coding exam. Recruiting process was efficient.

Interview Questions

• Question has already been posted - on string pattern matching.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Dropbox

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Coding challenge lasting one hour. They give you a problem to solve and you need to choose your favorite language to start coding. Test cases are given so you can test them while coding the problem.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox in October 2014.

Interview

Applied through university's career center, received coding test on HackerRank. It's the first coding test I attempted to solve so far, so it's hard to tell how difficult it is compared with other company's tests. It would be extremely helpful for me if someone else can offer a few thoughts on this pattern recognition exercise, hey, maybe you'll run into the same/similar question next time!

Interview Questions

• Question was "Given a pattern and a string input - find if the string follows the same pattern and return 0 or 1.
      Examples:
      1) Pattern : "abba", input: "redblueredblue" should return 1.
      2) Pattern: "aaaa", input: "asdasdasdasd" should return 1.
      3) Pattern: "aabb", input: "xyzabcxzyabc" should return 0.   33 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn. After a few conversations and a technical phone screen, I went onsite for 5 hours of interviews at the SF HQ, followed by dinner at Dropbox. The onsite consisted of 2 whiteboard problems and a 1.5 hour coding problem on a computer.

Interview Questions

• 1. Design a link shortening URL system. Discuss the tradeoffs of different approaches.

2. (Coding) Write a basic file system and implement the commands ls, pwd, mkdir, create, rm, cd, cat, mv. This was done on my own computer, in the interview room, with a 1.5 hour time limit.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dropbox.

Interview

There was an initial HR call followed by 2 onsite interviews, one with the team lead and one with the senior engineers on the team. The recruiters had an amazing turnaround time on emails, sometime even replying on a Sunday and were generally very helpful. The on-site interview started off with a tour of the office followed by back-to-back interviews which involved a combination of technology conversations, whiteboard coding and system design questions.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing very unexpected, it was just mostly a casual conversation intermingled with coding questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dropbox in October 2013.

Interview

Three interviews total. First was 45 minutes, second was 1 hour. First had basic algorithms / coding problems, then iterated on the problem and added constraints. Second was more complicated coding problem. Recruiters are extremely friendly, response time was less than a week each time, made the entire process very pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Write a program that logs hits received in the past 15 minutes.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dropbox in June 2013.

Interview

Applied online using jobvite. Phone interview went well and was invited for onsite. But onsite interviews were worse than expected. Interviewers seemed inexperienced and questions they were asking seemed to be not their own. They also were from the teams where I would never work. After 3 boring interviews I decided to leave. They didn't even ask why I was leaving.

Interview Questions

• Some questions about finding folders and files   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Dropbox.

Interview

Applying for Summer Internship. Only one question, 30 minutes for first round. Did not make second round.

Interview Questions

• "Make a program that can print out the text form of numbers from 1 - 1000 (ex. 20 is "twenty", 105 is "one hundred and five")   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Overall the interview was quite pleasant. The recruiters and each of the interviewers were very knowledgeable in their respective fields. Timing and scheduling worked liked clockwork. However, I was a bit surprised that they did not ask any technical questions. Perhaps they had already disqualified me at this point or perhaps the ball was in my court to demonstrate some level of skill. If I were to go back and do it over again I would try to avoid the trap of only answering the questions that were asked and instead I'd pick a problem that I suspect they encounter and ask how they addressed or solved it. Hopefully this will be the impetus to demonstrate some technical ability.

Interview Questions

• They simple asked, if you were hired here what would you do?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

two 30 minute interviews,
    4 hour onsite interview

Interview Questions

• Dropbox asks questions that can be applied in real life, instead of just puzzle solving problems.   Answer Question