Duff & Phelps Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 21, 2017

3.1

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied through University, within 1 week, I received the invitation for an interview. It was a one on one interview. Took about 20 mins. The interviewer kept looking at the clock every 5 mins like he was in the rush. Never heard back from the company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, why this job, and one related field question   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps.

Interview

Had an initial phone screen with HR. It took HR over a month and 20 emails to connect me with a VP in the investment banking group for a second round phone screen. I've dealt with a few different HR departments, so I understand there may be a disconnect when scheduling second round interviews. This experience was something else. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Walk through resume. Why did you attend the university that you did? Basic technicals.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online then received an email stating they wanted to do a phone interview. Phone interview was basic questions: what classes have you taken, what do you know about valuation, tell me about a time where you worked on a group project and what were the conflicts and outcomes, what do you know about D&P? Then got an email back saying they wanted to do an in person interview onsite. Met with 6 people over 3 hours. Still waiting to hear back.

Strategic Finance Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps.

Interview

First go through the resume, introduce what this position do, several behavioral questions, and last technical questions. The first round is on-campus interview with the manager. I have not heard the results until now

Interview Questions

• Probability related to expected value of choosing cards   Answer Question

Valuation Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps.

Interview

So far have only completed phone interview. Have not heard back yet. Interview was scheduled about 2 weeks after submitting my resume. Called by a director. Pretty laid back tone. Questions were basically what I expected. Technical and behavioral questions; I would say an even mix of the two. Definitely be comfortable with questions regarding DCF and the steps involved in it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through career site on campus. Had on campus interview, mix of behavioral and technical questions. Moved on to Super Day Round, this includes three one on one interviews with a group case study. Have not attended super day yet, but first round in person, interviewer was very helpful and kind, willing to help talk through answers.

Interview Questions

• Value a private company?

DCF?

WACC?

How to get to cash flows to only equity holders?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

One on One with a senior member of the firm. Mainly asked questions about my resume and my educational experience. Interview ended with a couple of technical questions, but did not make it to the second round group case interview.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of a company with negative net working capital?   1 Answer
    • What methods are used to value a company?   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite class you've taken?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (State College, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

On campus. Run me through your resume, three brief behavioral and then mostly technical. DCF, WACC, and equation of it, how you use it. How are the three financial statements linked together and how would you value a company, private, public? That was about it, would suggest you are a finance major, know your material well in order to succeed at this interview.

Associate - Transfer Pricing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, MA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (Salem, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

A Duff and Phelps recruiter called me out of the blue to set up an appointment with their team in their Salem offices. I went and I interviewed with the two partners and two other high up people, and they asked regular questions about transfer pricing, economics analysis, basic stuff. Nothing too difficult. There was a case study question, but nothing out of the ordinary. Then one of the senior partners passed me off to two lower level employees and I talked to them for about ten minutes. They then brought me back to the original interview room, where no one met me. I was left to myself, no one told me that the interview was over, what the next steps were, nothing. I ended having to come back to the office and knock on one of their doors and ask what the next steps were. They said for SURE they would get back to me in two weeks.

Fast forward two weeks, I hear nothing back. I reach out to one of their HR people in Chicago and ask him what the result of the interview was. In writing, he said he would contact them and "absolutely get back" to me. He never did.

Overall the process was unprofessional, as they should have given me a response either way. A company that does not respect the time and energy a candidate puts into preparing and coming for a face to face interview by at least telling they did not get the job, usually exhibits the same behavior to its employees. I will never interview with Duff and Phelps again, as they are dishonest, disrespectful, and a waste of your time. Horrible experience.

Dispute Consulting Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online in March 2016. Heard back in one week for phone interview. Phone interview took 30 minutes with mostly behavioral questions and a few technical questions. Interviewed at office the following week with VP and another analyst for 1 and a half hours. Mostly technical questions and both explained what I would do if I missed a question. At the end of the interview I was shown around the office. Still waiting to hear from them.

Interview Questions

• What SQL queries would you use to find specific data from the database?   Answer Question