Duff & Phelps Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Duff & Phelps Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2017

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (Chicago, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

I was contacted fairly quickly and was brought into the office the next day for an interview. The people I met were kind and willing to listen as much as they talked. I recommend researching more about the company and the position you are applying for. You must know why you want to work there. It's been almost 3 weeks since my interview and received no feed back, even after they told me I'd hear back with good or bad news.

Investment Banking Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied through my campus' job portal. Heard back relatively quickly.

I was destroyed in the interview. Was interviewed by someone who had been doing IB for 10 years.
    You have to be quick on your feet and be able to answer financial questions. LIke how do you calculate Free Cash Flows, where can you find the components of EBITDA, how does *something I can't remember* affect EBITDA -- does it go up or down? There were several other questions. The interviewer was holding back laughing at me because I wasn't doing so well. He should have stopped asking me finance questions after the first couple. After a couple more technical questions, he asked behavioral questions.

"What would you do if you were about to give a presentation but found an error in your slides, and you didn't have time to go back and fix it"

Something about what if you had 2 group projects on your plate and you absolutely had to sacrifice effort on one of the group projects (2 different groups). What would you do?

I don't mean for this review to scare anyone away. In my defense, I am NOT a finance major. I'm an Econ major, which you can easily go through and graduate with out having taken a single finance course. Although, I have taken 1 or 2.
    Additionally, I did not prepare for this interview as I had a midterm literally 10 minutes before I had the interview (interview was on campus).
    Also, I have absolutely no interest in being an Investment Banker. I did not take the interview seriously, I accepted the interview for practice.

Interview Questions

• how do you calculate Free Cash Flows, where can you find the components of EBITDA, how does *something I can't remember* affect EBITDA -- does it go up or down? Something about a leverage buyout. Something about M&A and valuation.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

DP came and recruited at my university. After initially getting turned down for an interview, I spoke with the recruiter on campus and asked them to reconsider me for the position. They did, and an interview was set up for later that week.

At an info session before the interviews, DP told us to make sure we knew our technical information, because thats how most applicants get killed during the interview. Along with that, DP was definitely one of the toughest interviews I've had this season, asking very specific questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time, either in a professional or academic setting, where you had a public speaking opportunity and you failed. And then tell me how you learned from that and how you would not make that mistake again.   Answer Question
    • What is WACC? CAPM? Free Cash Flow?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

One on One with a senior member of the firm. Mainly asked questions about my resume and my educational experience. Interview ended with a couple of technical questions, but did not make it to the second round group case interview.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of a company with negative net working capital?   1 Answer
    • What methods are used to value a company?   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite class you've taken?   Answer Question

Transfer Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

Phone call screen by recruiter. Followed by phone screen by member of transfer pricing team. In office interviews with four members of the team plus a case study. Very timely process and quick to receive answers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (Atlanta, GA) in April 2016.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews; one phone interview and one office interview. VERY technical questions will be asked but they all ask the same questions from a question bank. I read 6 of the 7 phone technical questions on here before hand so that helped me get the office interview. Office interview had 3 different interviews followed by a case study where you work with the other candidates.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps in February 2015.

Interview

Several phone interviews and phone screens prior to super day. Super-day was also included with several interviews involving upper-management. Tour of the office was included as well as drinks with the team.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (London, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

Online application process, took them around a week to get back to me. They asked me to do a phone interview which was around 20 minutes long. Went in for assessment day which was pretty tough. Case study, presentation, and 3-30 minute interviews. Meetings with MD's and VP's. Very nice offices and nice people i recommend you to apply.

Strategic Finance Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps.

Interview

First go through the resume, introduce what this position do, several behavioral questions, and last technical questions. The first round is on-campus interview with the manager. I have not heard the results until now

Interview Questions

• Probability related to expected value of choosing cards   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (State College, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

On campus. Run me through your resume, three brief behavioral and then mostly technical. DCF, WACC, and equation of it, how you use it. How are the three financial statements linked together and how would you value a company, private, public? That was about it, would suggest you are a finance major, know your material well in order to succeed at this interview.