Duff & Phelps Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Duff & Phelps Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

3.2

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online then received an email stating they wanted to do a phone interview. Phone interview was basic questions: what classes have you taken, what do you know about valuation, tell me about a time where you worked on a group project and what were the conflicts and outcomes, what do you know about D&P? Then got an email back saying they wanted to do an in person interview onsite. Met with 6 people over 3 hours. Still waiting to hear back.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Incredibly seamless interview process. Received an e-mail from HR to schedule a first round phone interview with two managers. This first interview was mostly based on my resume with some behavioral "tell me about a time" questions. A few days after I was again contacted by HR to schedule a time for me to fly up to the office for another interview with the same people I spoke with over the phone. Again, this interview was mostly behavioral, with the hour and a half split between the two people.

Interview Questions

• Assume a client sends you data to work with in a format that will require a fair amount of time and effort to straighten out, how would you proceed?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

It was my 1st round on the phone. Interview went very well. it was about 30 min and 90% of the time i was getting technical questions. Most of them about DCF modeling.

Interview Questions

• In order to find Beta for US based private company, Is it okay to use company's Beta which is listed in tokyo stock exchange?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Overall the interview process was very straightforward and HR was extremely supportive throughout the entire process.

Would recommend that applicants go over finance topics pertaining to DCF valuation and feel comfortable discussing them. In-person interview was a combination of both technical and behavioral questions with Directors / Managing Director - level interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Why might P/E ratios differ for two companies with the same revenues?   1 Answer
    • How does the mid year convention work?   Answer Question
    • What aspects of risk is incorporated through Beta?   1 Answer

Real Estate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (San Francisco, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

I interviewed with 2 managers. The interview was largely behavioral; why was I interested in real estate, what in my background showed prior real estate experience and interest? There were some technical aspects to the interview as well where they tested real estate knowledge.

Interview Questions

• What are the three types of approaches to valuing real estate?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (San Francisco, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Hiring process was very efficient. The turn around time from my application submission to the phone screening was three days. I was then flown across the country the very next weekend for a Super Day. Twenty-four hours after the interview I was given an offer.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult, or rather most broad, question I received: What is your outlook on the commercial real estate market in Suburban areas over the next 5 years?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiation phase was fairly rigid. They hire immediate graduates who don't exactly have the most leverage, even with 3 other offers in hand. I wouldn't expect anybody to move up their salary more than 5k in negotiations

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (San Francisco, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

One phone interview from HR and then onsite to see everyone in the group. I was referred by an employee in the group. It lasted about six hours in total and lunched with their team.

Interview Questions

• Just general questions like why this company and what is your ideal job. Some technical questions closely related to work.   Answer Question

Real Estate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (San Francisco, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

My initial communication was via e-mail to confirm I was still interested in the job I had applied for. However, I had applied for the same position several times within the past year (because there were constant re-posts of the opening). The most recent application was the impetus for my interview. However, one of the interviewers questioned why I did not apply for the position previously--major disconnect between human resources representative and the interviewers.

Each interviewer asked vague questions; i.e. "Tell me about yourself", "What does your experience consist of", "What do you know about the company", "why are you interested in the position" etc. One interviewer, in particular, was argumentative--not sure if this was a test to see how I would react to a difficult personality or if that was just his particular personality. In short, though, he was a major d-bag---damn it feels good to vent that. The other two interviewers were legit; although they had little understanding of the industry outside of their company.

Interview Questions

• Why did you go to the school you went to, as opposed to another university a half hour away?   1 Answer
    • What are your goals for promotion in this company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (San Francisco, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

The interview was split up into two sections. The first was a group case study interview with the other candidates. All candidates sat around the conference table with a valuation case and 4 questions to which they would present answers to a VP or higher staff member. The second part of the day consisted of 1:1 interviews with mostly mid-level staff. Mostly conversational and fit questions, but also a few technical questions pertaining to past experiences/education.

Financial Engineering Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Duff & Phelps (San Francisco, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight forward. They start off by asking you some basic questions off of your resume followed by some questions on pricing derivatives. They ask tough questions but they are all questions that one should know if they understand the MFE curriculum well.

Interview Questions

• How many simulations would it take to get an accuracy of less than or equal to 1%   2 Answers
    • Some question about the value of delta of an option given some basic parameter values. This was one of the standard questions you see in "Heard on the street"   Answer Question