Duke Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 24, 2017

2.8

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Duke Energy (Charlotte, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied: Febuary 25th, March 5th recieved email to schedule a 3 hour computer test. March 12th passed the 3 hour hard test on typing and math questions (7 out of 20 passed) and interviewed.

If you passed the test you were interviewed. It was like a cattle call and treated like a number and very disorganized. I passed the test with flying colors and was interviewed. Interview was only 3 questions and the rest was job description review. You had to agree to every job requirement or you were dismissed. I.E. "being on call" during storms and staying past normal schedule. The interviewer was boring and not interested at all.

Training was to begin "tentatively" on April 27th, it has been over 4 weeks and NOTHING. The interviewer told me they wasn't' sure when they would start. This HR is very disorganized. WILL NOT APPLY TO DUKE EVER AGAIN.

Interview Questions

• What previous job did you not like and why?   2 Answers

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Duke Energy (Cary, NC) in July 2013.

Interview

I applied for a position through a staffing agency. They called and scheduled me for a proctored computer test at the Duke Energy office. The test was composed of sections measuring your Microsoft Word skills, Excel skills, proof reading skills, and complex mathematical equations without the use of a calculator. I am still trying to figure out why an administrative assistant needs to be able to do complex math equations in their head.

Interview Questions

• The Word, Excel, and proofreading tests were very easy. The math section composed of 20 word problems that you had 8 minutes to solve. Questions were very complex and involved percentages, fractions etc. You are not allowed to use a calculator. Questions were similar to those you'd find on the SAT.   Answer Question

Lead Financial Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Duke Energy (Charlotte, NC) in December 2012.

Interview

I applied for the job through the company website and was called for interview in about 2 weeks. The interview was conducted by the hiring managing and her late arriving pen-tapping manager in a small cramped conference room with no windows. It was a rushed 35 minutes even though they said it would be 45 minutes. The questions were all behavioral based and did not relate to my personal experiences. They were intended to reveal weaknesses. I am a bit of a perfectionist and very good at what I do. I was an outstanding candidate for the job but the interview made me look inadequate because I couldn't relate the stories of failure and how I handled it that they wanted to hear.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you promised a customer something you couldn't deliver or that was bad for the company.   1 Answer

Customer Representatives Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Duke Energy in April 2010.

Interview

I was able to pass the call center simulation, which is 2 1/2 hours of HELL! If you get through that you get 1:1 interview, and then will be called if you make it to the top 20 for the next training.

Office Coordinator Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duke Energy.

Interview

The company conducts panel interviews, usually the hiring manager, a nonunion employee and an HR business partner. They take turns asking questions and everyone takes notes on your response. During most of the interview, the panel does not give eye contact since they will either be writing or typing.

Interview Questions

• The questions are behavior based.   1 Answer

The pay relative to my current pay was less than favorable.

Engineering Technologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Duke Energy (Charlotte, NC) in January 2016.

Interview

I first did a phone interview. I mostly had to listen for the most part. Questions were more geared to finding personality, rather than experience. Felt kind of like a interrogation. Analyzing every word. Seeing if I would trip up on what I said. That was only the phone interview. The face to face interview was more of the same but the added effect of being face to face!

Interview Questions

• If a co-worker was have a hard time at work and not getting much done. Would you tell them that you notice how they are performing or let that co-worker do things alone?   1 Answer

Leadership Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Duke Energy (Charlotte, NC) in May 2016.

Interview

I was asked to go to Uptown Charlotte 2 times for 3-4hr interviews both times. Met with numerous people, everyone from the hiring Director, to someone that would probably report to me to internal customers to the VP of the department and more. These 3-4hrs were pretty grueling, being interviewed by each and every one through their interview process (behavioral questions, all scripted). I got these 2 interviews very quickly after applying but then nothing happened after those - no contact whatsoever. The interview process was not a bad experience, but the lack of contact after, especially when the interviews were very positive and I was anticipating an offer, was very disappointing.

Interview Questions

• How would you organize the department and where do you see yourself in the org chart?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Duke Energy.

Interview

The initial discussion was with a recruiter which was general questions typically asked by HR. The next interview was technical and included the manager and 2 senior network analysts and was the most thorough technical interview I've been through. Basic questions ranged from how do you find answers to issues you are unfamiliar with to how to do subnetting. It went much deeper asking questions about OSPF and what are ABRs and ABRs as well as where should you do summarization in an OSPF domain. Many other deep questions in subjects ranging from security to wireless to more routing and switching. It was very well thought out and a good test for me to know where I am in the world of networking and support.

The process is good enough to the point that they will know if you're a good fit almost immediately based on both how you answer and how correctly you answer. They will know if what's on the paper resume matches where you really stand in networking.

Interview Questions

• Where do you find questions to issues you are unfamiliar with?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Straight forward as it was locked in at a solid rate.

Customer Care Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plainfield, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Duke Energy (Plainfield, IN) in October 2012.

Interview

The company uses the STAR Interview method. You are asked to tell a story that demonstrates your abilities that match the competencies they are looking for. You have to very prepared with your answers and there is no advance as to what questions they are going to ask. You can always research the typical STAR questions on the internet.

Interview Questions

• What makes you the best person for this position?   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Duke Energy (Saint Petersburg, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

Interview consisted of taking a skills test for the first portion. If the skills test was passed you went immediately to the face to face portion. There were 2 interviewers and the face to face portion was very quick.