Duke University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 8, 2017

2.9

Building Services Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC).

Interview

Put in a application on December 19, 2016. Application was forwarded to hiring manager. Received a phone call on January 11, 2017 to do a phone interview no email sent before hand to tell me I was going to be interviewed. After the interview waited two weeks and followed up with hiring manager, hiring manager had been on vacation. Told me he would follow up with me, a week later February 8, 2017 checked the status and was no longer under consideration. Complete waste of my time.

Staff Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online, was automatically notified it was now with the manager 9 days later, phone interview less than a week later, asked to come in person another week later. Interviewed in person and met at least 10 different staff members from different areas. I spent over 4 hours on campus. I wish I was told it would take up my whole day. Ended up having to pay for my own parking and since it was during lunch time, I was really hungry halfway through the day. 20+ days later, I was emailed that I did not get the position.

Director Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Duke University.

Interview

The interview process involved meeting with a variety of directors and administrators over the course of two days and included a presentation to a large group as well as breakfast, lunch, and dinner groups. Each meeting was peppered with questions regarding real and hypothetical situations, gathering feedback on how I would respond to each situation were I to be in the position. Interviewers took copious notes during my interview, and it turns out, an internal candidate who was in the interview process had already secured the position. I gave two days of free consultation to tell this person how to do the job.

Interview Questions

• Questions revolved around student situations, surveys, and general dealings within the university.   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in July 2015.

Interview

Phone interview followed by a day and a half on campus with several meals, meetings with staff, presentations, and individual interviews. Everyone was really open and welcoming. Met with collaborators across campus as well as some students. It was more casual than I expected for a private university, and people were also very candid about the benefits and challenges of working at the University.

Admissions Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

Group Q&A, presentation, case study, meeting with Dean, meeting with assistant dean. You meet with the hiring manager at the beginning, provide basic info about yourself, give a 30 minute presentation on a topic of your choosing in front of admissions team, take part in case study in front of team, meet with dean of admissions, meet with hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• How would you reconcile a student you like personally, but isn't academically rigorous?   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University.

Interview

Called me via phone and set up an in person interview after a brief phone interview. I went in for the in person interview and thought it went well but didn't hear anything back for a week and a half. Then 2 weeks after I interviewed I received an email that they had hired someone else for the position.

Interview Questions

• What are your weaknesses and why have you not been able to recognize them and turn them into strengths?   Answer Question

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC).

Interview

I was emailed the day after I submitted my resume/letter to HR. The interview was set-up on a Monday (I submitted my application on the Thursday before). It was unclear via email how many people would be interviewing me. (FYI--I have interviewed at other Duke University departments before) The way this interview was done was different from previous Duke interviews: I was in a room at the head of the table with four people sitting in front of me. The four people did not really describe their roles and it was unclear (at first) who was the most senior. Their questions were clearly for someone with little experience as it was an entry-level position but, I have a lot of experience so responding to their questions was a bit more challenging. I was not ready for such basic questions as "Are you punctual?" So, be ready for some basic questions if you are applying for a support staff/entry level position. They asked for my references which I submitted the next day via email. They said they were traveling for two weeks but would be in touch in the coming weeks. When I followed up three-weeks post-interview I was told "things take time here at Duke, please be patient." Two days later I got an email saying I was no longer under-consideration for the position. In general I think Duke tends to ask the typical questions you find online for interviews.

Interview Questions

• Are you punctual? (seems simple but for someone with a lot of experience it was somewhat challenging/insulting to answer--I felt like they had not looked at my resume and I felt like considering our limited time, there are better questions to ask….)   1 Answer

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Duke University (Charlotte, NC) in March 2014.

Interview

It wasn't difficult at all. I really enjoyed it and i thought that i was very casual. Most of the time lots of people think that its hard but it is not. It wasnt difficult at all. I really enjoyed it and i thought that i was very casual. Most of the time lots of people think that its hard but it is not.

Undergraduate Applicant Interview

Interview

Interviewed by an old lady who graduated decades ago. Accidentally miscommunicated the Starbucks at which we were planning to meet. Had to call her and reschedule, but the phone number she gave me was only for her home so I couldn't even call her until she had left the interview site and went home. Didn't get accepted, but probably not because of the interview.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't asked any difficult questions, and she seemed mostly interested in my experiences, etc.   Answer Question

Assistant Director, Student Affairs Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University.

Interview

I had a 5 hour interview for a department where the position would be responsible for managing training events for faculty and students. I was required to prepare a 15 minute presentation on how I would go about the training and present it in a PowerPoint in front of 10 people from the department. I then met with nine people one-on-one. it went well and I got to learn a lot about the position.

Interview Questions

• Was there ever a time where you had to interact with different groups (ie. Students and faculty) and it didn't go over the way it should have?   Answer Question