Duke University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC).

Interview

It involved submitting a cover letter and resume, then I was invited in for an interview. The interview involved speaking with the two directors of the center and then two employees that work there.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Benefits Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in April 2017.

Interview

After submitting my resume online, I got a phone call from their HR representative setting up a phone screen with the hiring manager (s).
    The phone interview was with two people, and it lasted for one hour. The conversations were pleasant. However, the last question was salary expectations, and they were very vague about it.
    I was then invited to an onsite interview with a full schedule that included talking to 12 people over the course of 4 hours. When I saw the schedule, and thought about how vague they were about pay, I lost interest in going in for the interview. However, I talked to a friend who worked there, and was told that it was standard practice to meet the entire team during interview at Duke. So I obliged and went in for an interview.
    About 1/4 way into the interview, I realized that I did not want to be there. People were very nice, but I knew it was not going to be a good fit for me. During the 4 hour long 12 people interview, I was reminded several times that I might be bored at that job given my experience and interests, which I agreed.
    I left knowing that regardless of what happened, I was not going to work there.
    Also, repeating the same thing over and over each time a new group people walked in got old really quickly. They could have done a panel interview with all 12 people present.
    A letter of "sorry we did not hire you" came in snail mail arrived a few weeks later :)

Building Services Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC).

Interview

Put in a application on December 19, 2016. Application was forwarded to hiring manager. Received a phone call on January 11, 2017 to do a phone interview no email sent before hand to tell me I was going to be interviewed. After the interview waited two weeks and followed up with hiring manager, hiring manager had been on vacation. Told me he would follow up with me, a week later February 8, 2017 checked the status and was no longer under consideration. Complete waste of my time.

Staff Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online, was automatically notified it was now with the manager 9 days later, phone interview less than a week later, asked to come in person another week later. Interviewed in person and met at least 10 different staff members from different areas. I spent over 4 hours on campus. I wish I was told it would take up my whole day. Ended up having to pay for my own parking and since it was during lunch time, I was really hungry halfway through the day. 20+ days later, I was emailed that I did not get the position.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in October 2015.

Interview

A phone screen along with a few simple programming challenges to write followed by an in-person interview with the entire team as a whole and then one on one with the manager.

Interview Questions

• Primarily how I gained experience in the skills I had listed on my resume.   Answer Question

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in October 2015.

Interview

The interviewer who was also the hiring manager was pretty stiff and cold, read directly from the script, no warmth. I don't think she even really knew enough about the job I was interviewing for. She seemed pleasant enough, but I definitely wasn't sold on working there.

Interview Questions

• She immediately got to the salary question of what my minimum requirement was and then wanted to know my salary history. I always find this off putting. Wouldn't you want to ask me questions regarding my capabilities for the job as well as inform me of the designated salary range and then ask me if I'm still interested after hearing what the range is?   1 Answer

Director Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Duke University.

Interview

The interview process involved meeting with a variety of directors and administrators over the course of two days and included a presentation to a large group as well as breakfast, lunch, and dinner groups. Each meeting was peppered with questions regarding real and hypothetical situations, gathering feedback on how I would respond to each situation were I to be in the position. Interviewers took copious notes during my interview, and it turns out, an internal candidate who was in the interview process had already secured the position. I gave two days of free consultation to tell this person how to do the job.

Interview Questions

• Questions revolved around student situations, surveys, and general dealings within the university.   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in July 2015.

Interview

Phone interview followed by a day and a half on campus with several meals, meetings with staff, presentations, and individual interviews. Everyone was really open and welcoming. Met with collaborators across campus as well as some students. It was more casual than I expected for a private university, and people were also very candid about the benefits and challenges of working at the University.

Admissions Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

Group Q&A, presentation, case study, meeting with Dean, meeting with assistant dean. You meet with the hiring manager at the beginning, provide basic info about yourself, give a 30 minute presentation on a topic of your choosing in front of admissions team, take part in case study in front of team, meet with dean of admissions, meet with hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• How would you reconcile a student you like personally, but isn't academically rigorous?   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University.

Interview

Called me via phone and set up an in person interview after a brief phone interview. I went in for the in person interview and thought it went well but didn't hear anything back for a week and a half. Then 2 weeks after I interviewed I received an email that they had hired someone else for the position.

Interview Questions

• What are your weaknesses and why have you not been able to recognize them and turn them into strengths?   Answer Question