Duke University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Duke University Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

2.5

Technology Support Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Duke University.

Interview

Asked normal questions about experience in customer service and IT. The interview takes place in their office and two people interview you. Very informal and not stressful. Once I finished the interview and applied online, they sent me an email a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question was how I would handle certain situations.   Answer Question

Summer Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC).

Interview

Interview was very casual with the Professor in question, but may vary group to group. The entire length was less than an hour. There were no technical questions other than follow up questions to things that I said about past research experience. Made sure that I was available full time and willing to complete some "grunt" work type tasks in addition to academic research.

Interview Questions

• Asked questions about my research experience in physics/biomedical engineering, undergraduate coursework, and career goals.   Answer Question

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC).

Interview

in writing, by telephone and in person with program director who was very pleasant and provided a lot of information on the program, its history and present status. discussed department setup and resources available for utilization by instructor and students. very comfortable atmosphere at lunch during discussion. no questions that were unrelated to program and university needs. provided references who were all contacted. process was very comprehensive, transparent, fair

Interview Questions

• interview questions all were relating to specific subject matter for the position; knowledge base, any past direct experience, differences and similarities in position offered and prior positions, resources available to instructor and students were explained, got a good understanding of particular program and expectations, what might be flexible and what wasn't   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

Only applicable to students- hire from within undergrad community and within majors. Definitely becomes easier to get a job as you get older. Research positions are not hard to get but often require a connection.

Interview Questions

Interview

Typical PhD interview process. We were brought to Durham for the day and interviewed with several research groups. If chosen then we were offered admission provided that we would work with a group that made the offer.

Interview Questions

• There weren't many questions, and all were in reference to specific things I had done in the past.   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in August 2015.

Interview

No interview. The requirement is to get high credit on the course and apply for the position. Sometimes they need you to pass some simple test as well, but not always.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process was two fold. I had to first interview directly with the person I would be doing research with. He asked me many questions specific to the cases that I would be working on. He then gave me an evaluation task that included an assessment of the theory he was working on and a search of relevant material. Only after I passed the evaluation task was I offered a job.

Director Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Duke University.

Interview

The interview process involved meeting with a variety of directors and administrators over the course of two days and included a presentation to a large group as well as breakfast, lunch, and dinner groups. Each meeting was peppered with questions regarding real and hypothetical situations, gathering feedback on how I would respond to each situation were I to be in the position. Interviewers took copious notes during my interview, and it turns out, an internal candidate who was in the interview process had already secured the position. I gave two days of free consultation to tell this person how to do the job.

Interview Questions

• Questions revolved around student situations, surveys, and general dealings within the university.   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in July 2015.

Interview

Phone interview followed by a day and a half on campus with several meals, meetings with staff, presentations, and individual interviews. Everyone was really open and welcoming. Met with collaborators across campus as well as some students. It was more casual than I expected for a private university, and people were also very candid about the benefits and challenges of working at the University.

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process was not too intense. I was chosen because I had done exceptionally well in my math classes here at Duke. Beyond that, all they really wanted to do was make sure I possessed the necessary social skills to be an Undergraduate Teaching Assistant. I was referred by a professor who taught a class in which I was a student. My performance in her class was very likely more important than the interview.

Interview Questions

Employer Interview Review Title Location Interview Question
Duke University Technology Support Interview Most difficult question was how I would handle certain situations.
Duke University Summer Research Assistant Interview Durham, NC Asked questions about my research experience in physics/biomedical engineering, undergraduate coursework, and career goals.
Duke University Instructor Interview Durham, NC interview questions all were relating to specific subject matter for the position; knowledge base, any past direct experience, differences and similarities in position offered and prior positions, resources available to instructor and students were explained, got a good understanding of particular program and expectations, what might be flexible and what wasn't
Duke University Intern Interview prior research experience
Duke University Graduate Research Assistant Interview There weren't many questions, and all were in reference to specific things I had done in the past.
Duke University Tutor Interview Durham, NC What is your score of last year course?
Duke University Research Assistant Interview Durham, NC What critiques do you have of my theory?
Duke University Director Interview Questions revolved around student situations, surveys, and general dealings within the university.
Duke University Assistant Director Interview Durham, NC What do you know about Duke?
Duke University Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Interview Durham, NC Why do you want to be a teaching assistant?