Duke University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 21, 2017

2.5

Associate In Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in June 2015.

Interview

Got referred by another faculty member, and was invited to interview based on my credentials. It was a very laid back, informal meeting in the lab space, and most of the time was spent discussing the lab's ongoing research. I got the feeling that it was more of a "checking for mutual interest/fit" sort of thing, rather than a conventional interview.

Interview Questions

• What are your ultimate career goals, and how long do you see yourself in this position?   Answer Question

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in June 2015.

Interview

Phone call interview first, just to get to know a little bit more about me. Then it was followed up with a Skype interview where I got to ask management some questions about how they did things and about my potential role.

Interview Questions

• Whether I had experience working with students, and if so in what capacity?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation process.

Graduate Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in June 2015.

Interview

Done over email, the process was quite informal, questions about my experience working with the program, and interest in taking on a larger role as graduate assistant. I was asked to apply for the position by the program director, who then reviewed my application and let me know within days that I had received the position.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to take on more responsibility with this program?   Answer Question

Admissions Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

Group Q&A, presentation, case study, meeting with Dean, meeting with assistant dean. You meet with the hiring manager at the beginning, provide basic info about yourself, give a 30 minute presentation on a topic of your choosing in front of admissions team, take part in case study in front of team, meet with dean of admissions, meet with hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• How would you reconcile a student you like personally, but isn't academically rigorous?   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

This was a pretty standard academic interview. My experience was a bit peculiar, since I was continuing along in the lab where I did my PHD, but typically, the process goes something like this:
    Duke will fly a candidate in the night before before handing the candidate off to the lab recruiting them. The candidate will then spend 1 day meeting and interviewing with the individual members of the lab. At some point, the candidate will be asked to give a 1 hour seminar to the prospective lab (smallest case) or the department in which the lab belongs. Afterwards, lab members/the PI will usually take a day or two to decide on whether to give the candidate an offer.

Interview Questions

• How do your research interests in X fit with our interests Y and Z?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

I walked into the PI's lab and he pretty much just asked me about my prior lab experiences and what I expected to gain by working in his lab. He told me about his research and a few of the projects that his lab was working on etc. Honestly he was really easy going.

Interview Questions

• What effect does an amino acid alteration have on a protein?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

Professor asked my willingness in the email. After about one week, I met him and had some conversation after his class. I also heard other candidate to have discussion with him in his office

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

I submitted an application online. I was then asked in for an interview which consisted of a few typical interview questions as well as me presenting a miniature lecture to my interviewer.

Comparative Medicine Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC).

Interview

Typically start off with a phone interview. If that goes well, they will bring you in to start as a temporary employee. Once you have completed your 90 days, you will have a face-to-face interview in front of a number of managers/ supervisors.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about using animals for medical research?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Duke University.

Interview

I interviewed with multiple professors. Most professors were interested in asking me about my background. Then they each spoke about their ongoing and proposed research. I asked several questions showing interest and hopefully understanding.