Duke University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.5

145 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in October 2015.

Interview

A phone screen along with a few simple programming challenges to write followed by an in-person interview with the entire team as a whole and then one on one with the manager.

Interview Questions

• Primarily how I gained experience in the skills I had listed on my resume.   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in August 2015.

Interview

No interview. The requirement is to get high credit on the course and apply for the position. Sometimes they need you to pass some simple test as well, but not always.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process was two fold. I had to first interview directly with the person I would be doing research with. He asked me many questions specific to the cases that I would be working on. He then gave me an evaluation task that included an assessment of the theory he was working on and a search of relevant material. Only after I passed the evaluation task was I offered a job.

Interview Questions

Interview

Typical PhD interview process. We were brought to Durham for the day and interviewed with several research groups. If chosen then we were offered admission provided that we would work with a group that made the offer.

Interview Questions

• There weren't many questions, and all were in reference to specific things I had done in the past.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Duke University.

Interview

The interview process involved meeting with a variety of directors and administrators over the course of two days and included a presentation to a large group as well as breakfast, lunch, and dinner groups. Each meeting was peppered with questions regarding real and hypothetical situations, gathering feedback on how I would respond to each situation were I to be in the position. Interviewers took copious notes during my interview, and it turns out, an internal candidate who was in the interview process had already secured the position. I gave two days of free consultation to tell this person how to do the job.

Interview Questions

• Questions revolved around student situations, surveys, and general dealings within the university.   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in July 2015.

Interview

Phone interview followed by a day and a half on campus with several meals, meetings with staff, presentations, and individual interviews. Everyone was really open and welcoming. Met with collaborators across campus as well as some students. It was more casual than I expected for a private university, and people were also very candid about the benefits and challenges of working at the University.

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process was not too intense. I was chosen because I had done exceptionally well in my math classes here at Duke. Beyond that, all they really wanted to do was make sure I possessed the necessary social skills to be an Undergraduate Teaching Assistant. I was referred by a professor who taught a class in which I was a student. My performance in her class was very likely more important than the interview.

Associate In Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in June 2015.

Interview

Got referred by another faculty member, and was invited to interview based on my credentials. It was a very laid back, informal meeting in the lab space, and most of the time was spent discussing the lab's ongoing research. I got the feeling that it was more of a "checking for mutual interest/fit" sort of thing, rather than a conventional interview.

Interview Questions

• What are your ultimate career goals, and how long do you see yourself in this position?   Answer Question

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in June 2015.

Interview

Phone call interview first, just to get to know a little bit more about me. Then it was followed up with a Skype interview where I got to ask management some questions about how they did things and about my potential role.

Interview Questions

• Whether I had experience working with students, and if so in what capacity?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation process.

Graduate Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in June 2015.

Interview

Done over email, the process was quite informal, questions about my experience working with the program, and interest in taking on a larger role as graduate assistant. I was asked to apply for the position by the program director, who then reviewed my application and let me know within days that I had received the position.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to take on more responsibility with this program?   Answer Question