Duke University Postdoctoral Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Duke University Postdoctoral Associate Interview Questions

2.8

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process was conducted by the professor whom I am working with right now. Overall, the process was nice and smooth. Most the questions I was asked during the interview process were behavior questions. And also, I gave a presentation in front of all the group members of the group I was applying for. They were all friendly and asked some technical questions about my previous research projects.

Interview Questions

• What is your previous research experience?
    How can you contributed to our research group?
    What is your strength and weakness in terms of research?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Duke University

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

This was a pretty standard academic interview. My experience was a bit peculiar, since I was continuing along in the lab where I did my PHD, but typically, the process goes something like this:
    Duke will fly a candidate in the night before before handing the candidate off to the lab recruiting them. The candidate will then spend 1 day meeting and interviewing with the individual members of the lab. At some point, the candidate will be asked to give a 1 hour seminar to the prospective lab (smallest case) or the department in which the lab belongs. Afterwards, lab members/the PI will usually take a day or two to decide on whether to give the candidate an offer.

Interview Questions

• How do your research interests in X fit with our interests Y and Z?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in October 2014.

Interview

I met with the advisor to learn about the opportunity and was asked to convey my interest via email in a week. After doing a brief research on potential advantages of working on the proposed project, I conveyed my interest, following which I was called for an on-site interview, which was scheduled for in about 4 weeks. All travel arrangements were made by the employer. It was almost a day-long interview (8 AM - 2 PM), and included one-on-one with graduate students, postdocs and research faculty and an hour-long presentation session later that afternoon. The interview ended with a one-to-one interview with the advisor himself.

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Interview

I had a serendipitous introduction that led to an off-handed mention of a job opening. I followed up on that lead and never really had a formal interview. I was lucky.

Negotiation

No negotiation

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Duke University.

Interview

Very straight forward Postdoctoral interview experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

NA

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in November 2011.

Interview

give a presentation, discuss projects with Professor

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in April 2011.

Interview

During my PhD training I visited Duke for 8 months through a collaboration. I was offered to come back as a postdoc before I even got my PhD. I did not have a regular interview.

Interview Questions

• I did not interview as such, but I have been part of many postdoc interviews. The most asked technical questions in our department are always: "what can it be used for and how can it be commercialized". Even for very basic science, this question comes up and you better have an answer. Tip. Ask for your PhD supervisors grant proposals - your answer will usually be there.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I got my own funding, so we only negociated about fringe benefits, which my department ended up giving me.

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in August 2008.

Interview

presentation and meetings with group members

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in March 2008.

Interview

I sent a email to a professor who has a similar background with mine. Then he called me after two days. No research topics mainly about the onsite interview arrangement. And one is how long does it take for me to graduate. During the onsite interview, we had a dinner together, then the next day I gave a presentation. You need to know your topic well. You will always have lots of questions.

Interview Questions

• all the question are not general questions. you need to understand your research very well.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Since it is a postdoctoral associate, so not much negotiation. Everything is similar to very postdoc in the lab.