Dunelm Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2017

2.6

48 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Store Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dunelm.

Interview

I have attended two interviews at the store over the past couple of months; the first was a group interview with a set of challenges, this went smoothly and was simple enough.
    The most recent (and FINAL) however, consisted of a very unorganised group interview which was held by the assistant manager of the store. Although she was nice enough, she didn't know how the interview was structured and this showed.

On arrival, our group was greeted late by a very flustered assistant manager who had not printed any of our paperwork, nor did she know how many people were attending. we were left to our own devices for around 10 minutes at the start of the interview so she could print our CVs off.
    After this, she realised that an interviewee's CV had been missed so we were sent on our task, to find a product which "represents you as a person"; explain why this represented me and sell the product to the group.
    Finally, we were all given one on one interviews which left us sitting in the store canteen for over an hour and a half. Luckily, most of us were pretty chatty and even more fortunately, had a free afternoon.

None of this however, is why I am reviewing the interview process poorly. After both interviews the company has failed to contact me at all. No email. No Phone call. Not even the Dunelm careers website changed to let me know. I brought this issue up in my last interview and the assistant manager assured me that I would hear from the company on this occasion. I didn't and after hearing from someone from the interview who was offered the job; I rang the store to have my issues addressed by the manager and have some feedback on how I could improve.
    He told me that he would return my call by the end of the day with some news. I have had no calls; unprofessional and rude!

Interview Questions

• Go on to the shop floor and imagine you are a customer, find:
      One thing you like about the store.
      One thing you dislike about the store.
      and one thing you would change about the store.   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dunelm (Chester, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

The group interviews were good but far to long almost three hours to be precise , then we were left to wonder on the shop floor . No chance to grab food or a refreshment , very unprofessional

Interview Questions

• Your name and bit about yourself   1 Answer

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chester, England (UK)

Application

Interview

I applied online. I was invited to a 3 hour interview. It was actually 4 hours before I left, The group interviews were fine. We were not offered any breaks for refreshments or lunch. I was very disappointed they didn't even have the courtesy to email back with a yes or no response to the job.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you did something out of your comfort zone.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dunelm (Preston, North West England, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied for the role and within a few days was picked for a phone interview, which lasted around 5 minutes just to check work eligibility etc. I was told there and then that they would like to put me forward for a face-to-face interview. This interview again was only a matter of days later.

The face-to-face interview is done as a group. It is done in 4 parts;
    1) Brief overview from the manager of Dunelm and the job role
    2) Get to know the person sat opposite you and then describe them back to the group
    3) Pick a product and sell it to the group
    4) Quick 1-1 with the manager to check eligibility and availability

We were then told it'd be around a week until we heard anything but I received a phone call the next day being offered a position. I then had my first day on the job a week later.

Retail Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Crewe, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dunelm (Crewe, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

3 hours long mainly a group interview with time on shop floor included customer scenario, stock work and group interaction. Individual interview with one of the management team. Had a chance to chat to customers and employees on the shop floor.

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in High Wycombe, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dunelm (High Wycombe, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online. Got interview with a brilliant Manager, who they later left the company. Left with idiot so called 'Managers'. Do not apply to this company they are rubbish!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offered the job within a day

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blackburn, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dunelm (Blackburn, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

- Applied online
    - Recived an email a few days later to arrange a phone interview
    - Had the phone interview with head office. Passed this and was given the information about an upcoming group interview.
    - Attended the group interview in store, with around 12 other people (there was gonna be two more group interviews though so 30+ interviewed overall for just 7 places).
    - Icebreaker / given info about the job and the company / a few little activities. Also had to give the manager info about when you're available and what not!
    - Was told we would find out in one week if we were successful or not, and if we were, we'd get on to the next round which was THEN a one to one interview (so basically 3 interviews to try get this job).

(Just to add, we were told it was going to last 3+ hours this group interview, and that we needed to bring our CV and a few other things... yet it only lasted an hour and we didn't need anything at all)

Interview Questions

• Phone interview ; information about yourself, why you wanna work for Dunelm, about your experience with customer service and what good customer service means to you

Group interview ; asked more about customer service and working in a team   Answer Question

Graduate Technology Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dunelm.

Interview

First is online application, then telephone interview, then store insight evening, and finally assessment day. They said it was open to all degree disciplines but in the end it seemed to be the computer science majors that got it.

Interview Questions

• We strive for our 5 pillars of growth, explain a time when you met said pillars in your own life.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dunelm (Leicester, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Process took two weeks before receiving the offer. The assessment day consisted of a short introduction about the partner you are paired up with and the product they chose and why. Then you are separated for one-to-one interview which was fairly relaxed and I did not feel nervous at all. Interview lasted around 30-45 minutes roughly before we are moved onto another task which was going onto the shopfloor and actually approaching customers. Then the assessor would pretend to be a customer and give us a brief as a group and we had to choose what product best suited his preferences and why. Later on, we (as a group of 4) were taken into a boardroom with another assessor and given a brief where we had to choose the best furniture and items for two guest bedrooms, explaining why we chose them. This was a group task. 4 hours later I received a call saying I had got in.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you worked together as a team to achieve something?
      Tell me a time you provided excellent customer service?
      Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Helens, West Midlands, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dunelm (Saint Helens, West Midlands, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Had an initial phone interview that lasted 15 mins and involved the usual interview questions. Then I was invited to attence a group interview in store. We did an ice breaker activity followed by picking a product each and selling it to the other interviewees. To finish there was a 1-to-1 discussion with the manager about availability and a bit about previous experience.