Duo Security Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Duo Security Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Duo Security

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

They dropped the ball, a lot. I'd schedule a call with them, and they would forget. I'd be deep in the interview process, talking about "running my own team," only to never hear from them ever again.

Interview Questions

• What sort of technologies do you think we'll see in the future?   Answer Question

Jun 16, 2020 – Employer Brand

We're sorry to hear about your interview experience. It does not reflect how serious we take our candidate experience. We wish you the best of luck in your search!

Other Interview Reviews for Duo Security

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duo Security (Ann Arbor, MI) in June 2019.

Interview

The interview process was very smooth and everyone was really nice. It was a standard software engineering interview flow with a recruiter screen, engineering manager screen, phone technical interview, and finally, a flight to do a 5-hour set of on-site interviewing, consisting of technical and behavioral questions across many interviewers.

The only negative feedback I have is that for my situation, it would have been helpful if they'd have been more up-front about wanting a more experienced candidate. I think I did very well in my interviews and made it to the very end, but they turned me down for lack of years of experience. This filtering could have been done much earlier. It made a big difference on my plans, as I had another offer to decide on and could have spent the time I spent with Duo with other companies instead. They even squeezed in another unplanned interview on top of the scheduled ones. In summary, I thought I had a legitimate shot at this position, but unfortunately the time on my resume was going to prevent it all along.

I'd still recommend interviewing for Duo/Cisco. They are all very nice and it seems like a great place to work, especially in Michigan where great tech companies are few and far between.

Interview Questions

• Pretty sure the NDA I signed covered this so I won't go into detail. Nothing too crazy; pretty standard tech interview with behavioral and technical questions dispersed across several interviewers.   Answer Question

Jul 15, 2019 – HR Consultant

Thank you sharing your experience with us! We will be sure to share your feedback with our recruiting and hiring teams. We’re happy your overall interview experience was a good one and best of luck in your search!

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Duo Security (Ann Arbor, MI) in May 2019.

Interview

It was very heavily behavioral, and getting to know with team.
    For first hour and a half I did two technical question and one design question.
    For lunch and other 3 hours, (total 4 hours) I was talking about my past experience, and how I handled failure etc.
    Very enjoyable interview experience and have accepted an offer from them!

Interview Questions

Duo Security Response

Jun 3, 2019 – HR Consultant

Welcome to the team and thank you for the positive feedback!

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

There was an initial chat with the recruiter. Then a phone interview with hiring manager. Another phone interview with hiring manager's boss. A technical phone interview. Then onsite interview consisting of 4 interviews plus lunch interview

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had disagreement at work and how you reacted   Answer Question

Apr 11, 2019 – HR Consultant

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments. Best of luck in your search!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Duo Security (Ann Arbor, MI) in September 2018.

Interview

Had a call with an HR rep, was 3 hours later than they originally scheduled. Talked about the role that I had applied for and got me in contact with the engineering manager for the next interview. Engineering manager interview seemed fine, not really technical, just getting a feel for where I'm at in my career and what they are looking for in an candidate. Neither interviewer at this point manages to tell me they are looking for senior level (5+ years) than what the job posting indicates (2 years) on their very website.

Moved onto a technical interview with a few of the seniors, HR scheduled it much earlier than what I had posted being available leading to a pretty awkward phone call asking where I was. They were rather simple challenge questions that were easy to read and did not feel reguritated. If you spent a day studying you'd probably be prepared for them already, although they are not as easy as the questions from 2015 already listed here. The interviewers were always pleasant to talk to and the interview didn't seem like a chore for them like I've noticed from many other tech interviewers.

Had an onsite after that, interviews did not really change for the most part and seemed more or less a repeat of the phone interviews. Don't have a single bad thing I could say about the interviewers, really. Only thing was when I was told I would not get an offer I was told conflicting feedback between the HR rep and the manager. One seemed to think it was based off what location I selected, another seemed to be based on experience level (which I'd imagine you'd read off a resume in the beginning?).

Lesson I learned? Take posting descriptions with a grain of salt, specially Duo's.

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Duo Security (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

Duo takes hiring seriously, and the interview process was extremely solid. An in-house recruiter immediately made me feel at ease, and everyone that I talked to during the process was very friendly and enjoyable to talk to. I had originally applied for a position much earlier in the year, but was told that I would likely be a better fit for a different team within the company, and that they would keep my info on file -- I sort of thought this was a kind of way of turning me down, but about 6 months later they called me up and said a position had opened up, and they wanted me to come in to interview.

The interview took about a full day, and I spoke to two managers, a director and a VP of engineering. There was a technical interview (standard comp. sci questions, including big O notation and unit tests), a behavioral interview, and two more conversational interviews in which they got a feel for my technical background and personality, and gave me lots of opportunities to ask questions and assess more about the company.

Duo seems to be full of people who are actively working to make sure that the rapid growth the company is experiencing happens in a meaningful way -- they take a lot of pride in ensuring that the culture moves in a positive direction, and one value that was frequently touched on was "Be Kinder Than Necessary," and it showed in the sort of interactions I experienced in their office.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Duo Security (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2016.

Interview

Two hours interview, 1 hour technical, 1 hour behavioral. Technical questions are some general coding questions. Behavioral basically is to get to know what kind of person you are. The people who interview me were really nice and serious, they took notes of everything you said. And were glad to answer all questions I had.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Duo Security (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2016.

Interview

I submitted an application on Duo Security's website. It took them a week or two to get back to me. Their recruiter (Courtney) was competent, responsive, and pleasant to communicate with. The recruiter set up a phone chat to tell me about the company, ask questions, and get to know me a little bit. I got a technical phone screen about a week later. It was technically-oriented but I don't think it was meant to be terribly challenging; it felt like its purpose was to rule out candidates who simply can't code. Perhaps 2 weeks later I got an on-site interview. The on-site interview had three parts: a chat with some recruiters at the beginning, a technical interview, and an experience/teamwork interview. The technical interview was more difficult, but still not very hard. It felt awkward; the person who conducted it did not talk very much. I stumbled with one of the questions because I tried to jump straight to the in-place solution of least time complexity, and I tripped up. Don't do what I did; I don't think it was apparent to my interviewer that I knew how to solve the problem and was working toward a solution. Try to solve the problem with bad time or space complexity first so they know you've got a brain. The next interview asked a lot of questions about my history of working with teams. It was pretty good. Lots of deep, open-ended questions. I did not receive an offer, but I did get helpful and (AFAIK) honest feedback: I was a great cultural fit and had a strong technical foundation but lacked the experience needed to fit in to one of their teams. I think it was a good experience overall, but I felt pretty frustrated after the technical interview because of my mistake. I'm not going to list any of the technical questions, but it's safe to say you would find them or similar questions just about anywhere you look.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Duo Security (Ann Arbor, MI) in May 2015.

Interview

I couldn’t have asked for a better interview process at Duo. I’ll start by saying that my situation was a little unique; I was working at a San Francisco based company looking to move back to Michigan, where I’m from.

As you might imagine, this poses some logistical problems. Duo was very accommodating during every step of the process, from working with me around the time difference all the way up to booking me a hotel room and flight that worked with my very, very tight time schedule (it turns out it’s hard to fly across the country on the sly). The recruiter I was working with was amazingly helpful and transparent; I never wondered where I was in the process, which, as someone who has interviewed with quite a few tech companies, was a very welcome change.

As for the actual interview process, it pretty much followed the standard tech company format. I had three phone screens, none of which were terribly technical. I had phone screens with two engineering managers and the director of engineering, and it seemed the purpose of these screens was to determine a fit both ways. We talked about my experiences at my current company and the projects I would be working on at Duo. Overall, the phone screens were pleasant, and gave me a good idea of what Duo was all about.

Next came the onsite interviews. As I mentioned earlier, this involved setting up a flight that would allow me to only miss one day of work here in California, a task that Duo executed admirably. I couldn’t have asked for a better in-the-door experience. The front desk greeted me warmly and saw to it that all of my needs were attended to right away. After that, the day began with a 45 minute chat with Dug Song, the CEO and co-founder of Duo. It was a good way to ease me into the grueling interview gauntlet that followed.

Following Dug, I had two technical interviews with the two engineering managers I had spoken to on the phone, and one less technical interview with the director of engineering, all before lunch. Each interview was 45 minutes long. The interviews with the two engineering managers were fairly standard; we started off by chatting about my experiences, about the things their teams were working on, and then launched into the whiteboard section. The whiteboard questions were pretty comparable to interview questions I’ve had in the past.

My interview with the director of engineering was unlike any other interview I’ve ever had, in a good way. We started out with the usual chit-chat about my experiences and the like. After a few minutes of that, however, we quickly shifted gears into talking about the greater engineering challenges that Duo faced as an organization. My interviewer was very keen on hearing my take on the issues that the whole of Duo engineering dealt with, and he took notes and asked insightful questions about my answers. I got the sense that he was taking my suggestions seriously, which was pretty cool, coming from the director of engineering. In fact, we ended up continuing the interview at the end of the day in an Ann Arbor coffee shop.

With the technical interviews out of the way, it was time for lunch. I will say that I don’t think it is Duo’s normal policy to cram all of the interviews before lunch, but as I had a flight to catch, it was the only way it would work -- another example of Duo accommodating my (admittedly somewhat unreasonable) constraints. I took lunch with two rank-and-file Duo engineers at Grizzly Peak, a very tasty restaurant within walking distance of Duo’s office. The two engineers were very friendly and personable, and we had a good time at lunch. It was very nice to take some time to unwind a little bit and learn more about what the day-to-day of working at Duo was like.

The final stop of the interview train was with the recruiter I had been working with from the beginning. There, we went over HR-ey stuff like benefit packages and so on. Afterwards, we took a tour of the office and met a few more friendly Duo employees. As I said earlier, this recruiter had been a joy to work with, and I left Duo with a very positive impression of the place and the people who work there.

We wrapped up the day with the coffee shop interview with the director of engineering I mentioned earlier, and then I was promptly whisked to the airport to catch my flight and my breath.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes two strings as inputs and returns the set of common characters between them.   Answer Question

Ultimately, I ended up turning down the offer due to some unique factors involving my current employer. I would like to call out Duo’s handling of the situation; I was upfront with them about what was going on, and they handled it amazingly. I never once felt like I was pressured into making a decision, and I felt like Duo’s recruiter genuinely cared about what was best for me as well as the company. For giving me some relief during what was a very stressful time in my life, I can’t thank them enough. Interview with Duo. Seriously. You won’t regret it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duo Security (Ann Arbor, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

I was introduced to Jon at Duo, who skyped with me to determine whether or not there was a fit on both sides.

This was followed by a Technical Phone Screen with Engineering Managers. This covered a variety of questions ranging from general theory to specifics of the technologies I listed on my resume.

Onsite Interview:
    During my onsite I had non-technical interviews with the Director of Engineering and the CEO in the morning, followed by lunch with the CTO. Everyone was very impressive and it is very obvious that Duo is committed to building a high quality team of people to work with.
    The afternoon was two technical interviews, each with a different engineering manager. One interview covered front end engineering (JS/HTML/CSS) and the other covered Algorithms/Data Structures. Both were challenging and on par with the companies I've interviewed with in San Francisco.
    The day ended with an exit interview and dinner with the team.

The recruiters and schedulers at Duo did a great job of keeping me in the loop and were extraordinarily kind in scheduling my trip over a weekend so I could spend some time with family I have in MI (I mention this because I think it is a microcosm of the great culture they are building there).

Overall the process, the team and the offer were all great. I'd highly recommend Duo Security to anyone looking for a great place to work.

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm to reverse a string in place.   2 Answers